Author Topic: Bellringing  (Read 65827 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Bellringing
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:09:48 pm »
Venue: Holy Trinity Church, Trinity Square

Practice night: Friday 7.30 - 9pm

Sunday service ringing: 10 - 10.30am

For more information, see www.llandudno-parish.org.uk

and for more information about bellringing generally see www.cccbr.org.uk and www.ringingworld.co.uk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:33:57 pm by Bellringer »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Bellringing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »
Glad to see you found your way over here, Stan.  :)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:19 pm »
Ringing competition this coming Saturday afternoon, organised by the North Wales Association of Church Bellringers, at Hope Church (between Wrexham and Chester).

We intend entering a team from Holy Trinity and I will let you know if we do well. On the other hand if things don't go well ......................

Stan the (bellringer) man

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 12:25:46 pm »
Things didn't go well so I will just say that Welshpool won and now go on to represent North Wales in the All Wales Competition at the end of the month.
Our friends from Bangor came 2nd - well done guys!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:43:49 pm »
HSBC Guild of Bellringers are visiting North Wales this weekend led by Richard Danby. They will be based in Llandudno and will visit and ring bells in towers across the region including Holy Trinity's on Sunday morning.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:45:50 am »
Are they sponsored by HSBC?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
I cannot give a definite "yes" or "no" to that Ian, but I would have thought not.

There are in fact lots of bellringers who apart from being members of their regional associations, belong to a group such as this one and meet on say an annual basis by way of reunion or the such like.
The name of one group I know call themselves "The Rambling Ringers" and it conjures up an image in my mind of in days gone by, them wandering from village/town and ringing bells whenever they chanced to reach a church tower.
I will see if I can come up with some other unusual titles.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:47:29 am by Bellringer »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 10:52:49 am »
You may or may not be surprised that there is a weekly publication for bellringers called unsurprisingly "The Ringing World".

A quick glance at this week's edition reminds me of The Ancient Society of College Youths and the Society of Royal Cumberland Youths, two very well known guilds in bellringing circles.
Mention is also made of the Guild of Post and Telecom Ringers.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:00:42 am »
Bell-ringing retains enormous popularity in the home counties, but it's my impression that rural and semi-rural areas are where it seems to flourish.  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:50:30 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 05:21:38 pm »
I'm not sure that's true Ian - there are "hot spots" both in town and country and of course a distinct shortage of ringers in certain parts of both.

Most of the universities have guilds of ringers and they are generally well supported by the students - Bangor has such a guild.

There is also a Clerical Guild of Bellringers - quite a number of clergy are in fact bellringers

For more information see www.cccbr.org.uk and www.ringingworld.co.uk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:34:52 pm by Bellringer »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 08:51:26 am »
Interesting... I suspect my impression may have been gleaned from watching too many Midsomer Murder DVDs :-)))

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 05:19:25 pm »
Interesting... I suspect my impression may have been gleaned from watching too many Midsomer Murder DVDs :-)))

Yes there was one episode where someone kept "bumping off" the bellringers and the team won a striking competition with three ringers ringing two bells each. There are very few ringers who can do such a thing and to most ringers this part of the storyline was a bit "ambitious" to say the least! :speechless:

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 10:37:16 pm »
Some 26 members of the HSBC Guild of Bellringers have been based in Llandudno for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the experience from what I have been told. They had been looked after very well at the Tan Lan Hotel on the West Shore, and enjoyed the food at Mama Rosa's and the Queen Victoria (despite the fuse blowing).
They rang Holy Trinity's bells before the morning service and then dispersed to various parts of the UK, the furthest travelling home to Worthing in Sussex.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:10:07 pm by Bellringer »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:53:00 pm »
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH OPEN DAY tomorrow Saturday 9 October. 10am - 4pm

Visual presentations of Parish History & Life, displays, stalls, refreshments. See your entries in the Parish Registers.

Photo below shows part of the Bellringers' display

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 07:16:05 pm »
Quite a few visitors to the Church Open Day yesterday showed interest in the Bellringing display which included older and more modern items, pictures and photographs. One of the older photographs of Holy Trinity bellringers (shown below) we had no details for, but one of our elderly parishioners viewing the display suddenly exclaimed that one of the men was in fact her father (seated on the ground front left), and she put the date as about 1912. The father's name was Arthur Appleton but whether we can ever name any of the other men I suppose must be doubtful.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:22:26 pm by Bellringer »