Author Topic: Bowls  (Read 3651 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Bowls
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:18:39 pm »
Anybody here play bowls locally?

I don't but I'm thinking of starting as I'm pretty good at it, I play petanque also, which is good because you can play on any conditions.

They always seem to be closed the clubs I've seen around here, I've had a look on the net but couldn't find much.
How does one actually go about joining? Is it like a golf club? Also does each player have to have their own set of bowls or can you hire them from the club? As I have a friend who'd like to play me but he doesn't have a set

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Dave

Yorkie

Re: Bowls
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:47:58 pm »
Just go along to the Club at The Oval and you will find that you will be made very welcome.   There is also another at Queens Road and also Penrhryn Bay you could also try.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:22:16 pm »
I was made welcome at the Oval the first time I went.... and the second time I was made distinctly UNWELCOME.

However, Mr Quiggs (a fellow forum member) is the man to speak to about The Oval,  (maybe Yorkie too??)

But BorntoRun,  how do you know you are GOOD at it, if you don't play?    ;D
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:40:00 pm »
I was made welcome at the Oval the first time I went.... and the second time I was made distinctly UNWELCOME.

However, Mr Quiggs (a fellow forum member) is the man to speak to about The Oval,  (maybe Yorkie too??)

But BorntoRun,  how do you know you are GOOD at it, if you don't play?    ;D

Im good at most things  L0L
I have played a couple of times in Yorkshire when I'm visiting as my Uncle is a member down there, but I meant had never played locally  ))*
When does the one on the Oval open? Do you have to book a time to play or anything? Apologies for the naivety but I really don't have a clue how these things work - I don't even know if you can play without being a member first?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:52 pm »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:48:37 pm »
I walked past today...and I noticed that the sign said open from 10am on weekdays.   ''Visitors Welcome''

I think you can borrow some bowls too, for a nominal fee....

I bet you are rubbish at limbo dancing.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 10:56:16 pm »
The Oval has been closed for the Winter, whilst the green has been re-seeded etc. It is due to re-open on the 26th. Mar. there are Bowls available to hire and membership is £45.00. Hope this helps.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Trojan

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 11:38:47 pm »
Forum member Bri Roberts, a stalwart of Craig-y-Don Bowling Club, would be an ideal person to ask for advice.

brumbob

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 04:37:15 pm »
Colwyn Bowling Festival
Eirias Park Sun 31 Jul to Sat 6 Aug

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/sep/bowls/index.html