Author Topic: Davies family - Llandudno  (Read 11542 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Davies family - Llandudno
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2020, 05:41:34 pm »
I think that you have got the right house there Bronwen.         The modern rendering is poor but you can still make the design out underneath it.   Look at the ground floor and above the door and windows and the heads of what look like Lions have still been retained.
The window sills are also more in keeping with your photos unlike the house on the left of the Estate Agent's photo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 04:53:01 pm »
I went to the Conwy Archives today and had a look at the Gyffin Marriage Register (  CEP6/1/2 )   and found a marriage on the 4th June 1786 for William Davies and Catherine Roberts.
The condition of the Register and the handwriting was immaculate considering that it is over 250 years old
This is the only record in the area that I have been able to trace for a William and Catherine but it is not, unfortunately conclusive proof that they are the same people that are the parents of Henry Davies. 
William lived in Aber which is a village about 10 miles from Gyffin

While not conclusive it could be that William and Catherine moved to Llandudno soon after the marriage and had their first child Elizabeth in 1789.   I rechecked the Llandudno Baptism record and found no child being Baptised before Elizabeth

Henry died in 1873 and was buried on the 20th February 1873 aged 71 and his address was given as Old Road Llandudno

Mary his wife was still living in the 1881 Census and was aged 80.  She lived at Bay View Cottage with her son John aged 40 and he was born in 1841.      Sadly she died shortly afterwards and was buried on the 3rd May 1881.    Her address in the Burial Register was Bryn Y Pin  Hen Dafarn.
Unfortunately I have been unable to find the graves of any of the Davies family from William to Idris

Offline Hugo

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2020, 12:38:47 pm »
I was thinking about the Davies family last night and William and Catherine had 7 children including Henry by 1801, so that meant that there was a total of 9 people living together in the house.
At that time the entire population of Llandudno was just 318 so the Davies family accounted for roughly 3% of the total population.

From what information I have had a look at,  Henry, David and David Edward all had sons and no daughters so the Davies surname must have been carried down through the ages and there must be a lot of people still living in Llandudno who can trace their ancestry back to Henry or his brothers.

I'm surprised that I've been unable to trace any burial records for the family, especially William,  Henry and David but something may turn up in the future

Offline Bronwen

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2020, 10:31:57 pm »
Hugo, thank you, this is Brilliant!! The script is so beautiful, I am proud to have my family mentioned. I was thinking, like you, that I could do a tree from William down, and find the children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren- they might make other connections in Llandudno I don’t know about. “Find my Past” job for Christmas!
Thank you so much for your fabulous research in Llandudno, I could never have found all this out without Three Towns Forum  $drink$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2020, 06:22:14 pm »
I was in the Archives today so I used their computer to look at some Census records.   
In 1901 David Davies was living in 5 Hughes Yard Back Madoc Street  Llandudno with his wife Mary and their son John H Davies

In 1911  David Edward Davies was living at 2 Ormonde Terrace  with his wife and young family.   David Edward was a Plumber by trade and was an employee of Llandudno Urban District Council
By coincidence there was a David Davies living at No 6 Ormonde Terrace who may or may not have been a relative, as there were a lot of Davies' living there in those days

In the 1939 Register David Edward was still living at 2 Ormonde Terrace with his wife and a Sarah Davies (born 26th Jan 1878

Offline menatworkwales

• Local, Reliable, Est.1982
    • Men at Work Wales LTD
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2021, 12:07:09 am »
Hugo the2 nd pic down, mum 2 boys looks like church walks outside pier hotel, see the beer sign behind boys, just make the empire and turning to ty gwyn road, I've seen that type of house in first pic st Beunos rd.

You could be correct with the location of the Pier Hotel in Church Walks Norman but I'm not sure about the house being in St Beuno's Road.
There is a house there called Baron Hill which is on the left by that nasty sharp bend in the road and that looks similar.    I've had a look at a very old photo of that house and a recent one I've taken and don't think that it's the same one.    The three upper windows are similar but the rendering is different.
I'm sure that someone on the forum knows but if not then I may be able to trace it in the Archives

Hugo, I live in 4 St Beunos. Could I possibly bother you for a full res copy of that photo please?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2021, 10:18:11 am »
You would be very welcome to it if I still have it.   Unfortunately I lost thousands of photos about two years ago when I failed to back up my computer.
Which photo were you interested in as I did post a lot of photos of houses on here?     Is it Baron Hill by any chance?

Offline menatworkwales

• Men at Work Wales LTD
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2021, 03:50:49 am »
Yes the Baron Hill image, but we're just on the left at Number 4

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2021, 11:16:01 am »
Hi men at work,
i have the original photo of the one you are lookiong for from St beuno's, (well my mum does).
my G.great grandfather i believe built and lived  at no 5 (Baron Hill)- Robert Hughes. until the early part of the 20th century.
Karen.

Offline menatworkwales

• Men at Work Wales LTD
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2021, 08:08:37 pm »
That would be fantastic to see Karen if possible, and any others around our smalla area.

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2021, 09:17:46 pm »
That would be fantastic to see Karen if possible, and any others around our smalla area.
i am not too sure how to make that happen at the moment as, I dont live in the Llandudno area.
I will at least try to get hold of it when i next visit my mum,  it isnt in the greatest shape if i remember rightly.
i will get back to you as and when . i could at least try to get a full res copy of it done.
Karen