Author Topic: Davies family - Llandudno  (Read 2378 times)

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
Re: Davies family - Llandudno
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2020, 05:41:34 PM »
I think that you have got the right house there Bronwen.         The modern rendering is poor but you can still make the design out underneath it.   Look at the ground floor and above the door and windows and the heads of what look like Lions have still been retained.
The window sills are also more in keeping with your photos unlike the house on the left of the Estate Agent's photo.

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »
I went to the Conwy Archives today and had a look at the Gyffin Marriage Register (  CEP6/1/2 )   and found a marriage on the 4th June 1786 for William Davies and Catherine Roberts.
The condition of the Register and the handwriting was immaculate considering that it is over 250 years old
This is the only record in the area that I have been able to trace for a William and Catherine but it is not, unfortunately conclusive proof that they are the same people that are the parents of Henry Davies. 
William lived in Aber which is a village about 10 miles from Gyffin

While not conclusive it could be that William and Catherine moved to Llandudno soon after the marriage and had their first child Elizabeth in 1789.   I rechecked the Llandudno Baptism record and found no child being Baptised before Elizabeth

Henry died in 1873 and was buried on the 20th February 1873 aged 71 and his address was given as Old Road Llandudno

Mary his wife was still living in the 1881 Census and was aged 80.  She lived at Bay View Cottage with her son John aged 40 and he was born in 1841.      Sadly she died shortly afterwards and was buried on the 3rd May 1881.    Her address in the Burial Register was Bryn Y Pin  Hen Dafarn.
Unfortunately I have been unable to find the graves of any of the Davies family from William to Idris

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2020, 12:38:47 PM »
I was thinking about the Davies family last night and William and Catherine had 7 children including Henry by 1801, so that meant that there was a total of 9 people living together in the house.
At that time the entire population of Llandudno was just 318 so the Davies family accounted for roughly 3% of the total population.

From what information I have had a look at,  Henry, David and David Edward all had sons and no daughters so the Davies surname must have been carried down through the ages and there must be a lot of people still living in Llandudno who can trace their ancestry back to Henry or his brothers.

I'm surprised that I've been unable to trace any burial records for the family, especially William,  Henry and David but something may turn up in the future

Bronwen

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2020, 10:31:57 PM »
Hugo, thank you, this is Brilliant!! The script is so beautiful, I am proud to have my family mentioned. I was thinking, like you, that I could do a tree from William down, and find the children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren- they might make other connections in Llandudno I don’t know about. “Find my Past” job for Christmas!
Thank you so much for your fabulous research in Llandudno, I could never have found all this out without Three Towns Forum  $drink$