Author Topic: Davies family - Llandudno  (Read 11881 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Davies family - Llandudno
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2020, 04:28:45 pm »
It's a photo of the Great Orme Copper mines C 1890 and that photo appears in some of the paperback books on Llandudno.    The former Horeb Chapel 1860 appears in the top right of the photo
I've a vague memory of Vivian's shaft that circular building in the foreground but don't know when it was demolished.      The Orme is littered with these shafts and when I had a walk up Maes Y Fachrell earlier this year I could see a lot of shafts in that area and Vivian's shaft may be one of those.
Incidentally when we were doing research for some family on the forum they were looking for the location of a house and I think the house was called something like Plas Helig but no one knew where it had been.    Anyway I spoke to Tom Parry whose house can be seen in the photo and he confirmed that it had been where the copper mines are now but had long since been demolished

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2020, 05:57:54 pm »
An old photo of one of the traders in Back Madoc Street
   re the photo, of the builders in back madoc street, below in reply #40

It is the yard of Edward Owen b 1874  son of Richard Owen of Bodowain, b c1842 sib of John Owen of avalon, (the alderman)b 1857 also sib of my relative -Ann owen m to robert hughes.  Ann John and Richard's Maternal Grandmother was Margaret Davies b1787 Llandudno, child of Rev Thomas Davies b 1745. resident 1792- at Penymynydd, Great Ormes Head, Llandudno.  His parents William Davies &???     
Children of Thomas Davies. 
John Davies 1775-
Robert Davies  1785–1813
Anne Davies  1786–1851
Margaret Davies........... grandparent of Owens  1787–1828
Richard Davies 1793–1866

I havnt looked into them very much, and maybe not connected to the Davies family of this Topic. i need to have a look. but have posted in case of interest.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2020, 08:16:16 am »
Thanks very much for posting all that info Karen, it may be very helpful for anyone following the Davies tree.

From the Baptism records I've been looking at I would think that this William Davies was born around the mid 1760's but that's only a guess.       
I've also found out that 3 people named William Davies were buried in St Tudno's  Cemetery around 1840 and considering that the population of Llandudno was probably under 1000 then it seems that was a popular name at the time.
Anyway until the Archives reopens in a few weeks there is nothing else I can do to follow this up

Offline Hugo

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2020, 11:37:54 am »
I have just been having a dabble on Free search and came across something that may be worth following up:-

The Marriage of William Davies to Catherine Roberts           
Marriage 4th June 1786  Conway Caernarfonshire
     "       Banns    "             "

The Register in the Conwy Archives may shed some light on this but unfortunately the Archives will now close for 17 days from this Friday                  "

I've had another go on a Parish search and found out a William Davies and Catherine Roberts were married in Conwy in 1786, surprisingly there were two entries and the second one referred to Gyffin, Conwy.
Those Parish records were taken from the Conwy Parish Register of BMD for the years 1541 to 1793.       That Register is in the Conwy Archives under Ref    CEP3/1/1.

As soon as circumstances allow I'll have another look at the Register to see if there is any other information available on that entry     

Offline Bronwen

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2020, 08:00:34 am »
Huge, thank you for all of this! I didn’t have the time I hoped over the half term, 🙁. I did find some of the photos I was thinking of, perhaps you could tell me if they are from Llandudno?
I love the goats photo, mam used to tell me about the goats, and of course one of them may be the Welsh Rugby goat.
I did try and research Henry a bit more on FMP but got a bit stuck, so will try to find a weekend when I can have another go :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2020, 02:23:07 pm »
They are lovely photos Bronwen and thanks for posting them on here.       The double fronted house in the first photo looks familiar but I can't say which Street it is in but I have seen similar houses in the town that looked very much like that house.       
The Archives have street indexes which are alphabetical so I may be able to trace it that way.   Do you know the year of the photo and the family members name?
Perhaps someone else on the forum may recognise where the house is and where the other photos were taken

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2020, 02:49:36 pm »
Hugo the2 nd pic down, mum 2 boys looks like church walks outside pier hotel, see the beer sign behind boys, just make the empire and turning to ty gwyn road, I've seen that type of house in first pic st Beunos rd.

Offline Helig

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2020, 03:13:02 pm »
The third photo is taken outside the same house as is in the first photo. The window is identical and it has the horizontal and vertical lines in a lighter colour than the render the same as the first photo.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2020, 10:14:46 am »
Hugo the2 nd pic down, mum 2 boys looks like church walks outside pier hotel, see the beer sign behind boys, just make the empire and turning to ty gwyn road, I've seen that type of house in first pic st Beunos rd.

You could be correct with the location of the Pier Hotel in Church Walks Norman but I'm not sure about the house being in St Beuno's Road.
There is a house there called Baron Hill which is on the left by that nasty sharp bend in the road and that looks similar.    I've had a look at a very old photo of that house and a recent one I've taken and don't think that it's the same one.    The three upper windows are similar but the rendering is different.
I'm sure that someone on the forum knows but if not then I may be able to trace it in the Archives

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2020, 10:42:34 am »
Hi,
It is me that has the connection to Baron hill in st beunos rd. and funnily enough when i was looking at the photos yesterday,  i thought it looked similar. however the people in the photos i don't recognise.  and i dont think i have too clear a photo of the house, from back then. one with robert hughes and wife ann owen in front of it.  and there seems to be alot of trees around it at that time.
i have attached a photo of back then. to compare.  post 1st ww, im not sure whom lived there and was possibly sold to a different family.

but in the pic privded that house front door opens onto the road,  thus it definately isnt baron hill.

Offline Bronwen

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2020, 11:49:09 am »
Hi, now looking at the photos Hugo posted on 28/8 - I think that another photo might be David Edward (Edward) and Jane Davies at 2 Ormonde Terrace. Then the photo of the ‘double fronted’ house might not be Llandudno, it might be my Parry family from Llanrug?
The bricks around the door look right for the Ormonde Terrace house

Offline Hugo

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2020, 01:29:29 pm »
I agree Karen but it is similar except for the fact that I think that it's either a semi detached property or in a terrace.      I have seen that style of building but for the life of me I can't remember where.

Bronwen,  the photo looks like it was taken in the 1950's so I'm guessing that it is David Edward in the photo.     Those Street Indexes I've mentioned previously list in alphabetical order one person fron every household in Llandudno so it may be easy to locate.   

Offline Bronwen

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2020, 06:01:14 pm »
Yes I agree the rendered house was attached - I found another picture, but I’m thinking it must be Llanrug side of the family, not Llandudno, because the other picture looks right for Ormonde Terrace - thank you for the photos you took  :)

Offline Bronwen

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2020, 06:07:55 pm »
I think this must be Llanrug family. You can see here that the house is joined on the right side

Offline Bronwen

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2020, 06:16:12 pm »
I have been bugged by this house today, but I looked up possible places in Llanrug and I think I have found the house from as estate agent pic. So this family would be Ann & Robert Davies (different Davies’s), Bryngwyn Tce Llanrug.

Do you think my other pictures are Llandudno, or is it impossible to tell?

Thank you for helping me to put the right names to the faces by identifying the houses though  $3towns$