Author Topic: Davies family - Llandudno  (Read 11546 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Davies family - Llandudno
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2020, 04:59:51 pm »
That's a bit of a mystery about Henry and Mary's marriage and you would have thought that the marriage would have been in Conway or Llandudno

As for Kedurah Davies, I had never heard of the first name before so I googled it and it is a Jewish name but obviously Davies is a Welsh name.
Having said that I remember a good tailor who worked from Madoc Street in the 1960's and his surname was Davies but he was also known as Davies the Jew.    As teenagers if clothes needed altering we  took them there and Mr & Mrs Davies were always in the shop together

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2020, 06:51:46 pm »
Hugo, I too remember Mr Davies and his shop in Madoc Street during the mid-sixties.

However, I always thought the other lady in the shop was Mr Davies’ sister and not his wife.

I wonder which one of us is right?  ?{}?

Online Hugo

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2020, 08:05:49 pm »
My mistake BRI you are correct and it was his sister.   Thanks for pointing it out    $good$

Offline Helig

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2020, 02:44:00 pm »
Hello Hugo,

It is difficult to tell if Keturah Davies was next door to Henry Davies and family. The census shows the list as Gay Terrace numbers 1-3, then Orme's Head Cottage. As advised, numbers 2 and 3 Gay Terrace were occupied by people with the name of Davies. It looked to me as though they could be related to Henry Davies but without further research, it will be impossible to know for certain.

I remember Madoc St in the 1960s, where was the tailor's shop that the Davies family had? Do you know the name of Mr Davies? I have seen the name Keturah used for girls in the 19th century. The others who were called this name had no Jewish connections.

I don't think the marriage in Radnorshire is right for them. It looks to me as though someone has found this and matched it to them but I should have thought they would have married in the Conwy, or Llandudno area. I couldn't find a marriage there. It would appear that henry Davies would have been buried in Llandudno, assuming he was still living at Orme's Head Cottage when he died in 1873.

It is scary here as the Covid virus is spreading locally but there is no mention of a lockdown up to now. There have been cases in pubs, hairdressers, hotels and restaurants, Most of these closed down for a deep clean but not all. The Police are not enforcing the regulations and never have done. In very recent times, people who have been caught breaching the rules in the early hours of the morning have been taken to a local guest house and dumped there, rather than arrested and put in the cells for the night. This means they are putting other people at risk because they are too bone idle to do what they should.

Helig

Online Hugo

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2020, 02:50:04 pm »
There is a Family Tree for Henry Davies on Ancestry. This shows his wife as Mary Holl and their marriage in Radnorshire in 1828. I have my doubts about this as Mary is shown as from Conwy in the 1871 census. There is nothing coming up for their marriage on Freereg for Caernarfonshire.

This tree has quite a bit of information on the children of Henry Davies and Mary.

Helig

That's interesting Helig because I've just had a look on Free Search and David Davies, Henry's son appears in the 1871 Census at Llandudno.    ( again no address supplied )   together with his wife Mary, their two children and two lodgers.
David's wife Mary was born in Manfairfield  Carmarthenshire and the Census shows the son John H Davies as being born in Manfairfield
There may be a misspelling of the place name but there is a Fairfield in Radnorshire and that may be because of boundary changes at some time.
I'll try and find some more info about the family when I next go to the Archives

Helig,  I have just read your latest posting and it's a shame that the Police are behaving like that and risking the lives of people who stick to the rules.      Scotland were doing so well in the fight against Covid and I admire Nicola Sturgeon for what she has done.    It's a shame that the Covid figures have shot up there and if the Police behave like you say then unfortunately you may face a lockdown too.
The minority spoil it for the majority in so many ways
Anyway I hope that you are keeping safe and well

Offline Helig

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2020, 02:54:31 pm »
I noticed that Bronwen's first post mentioned a David Davies, b 1838, who lived in Hughes Cottage, or Hughes Yard, Back Madoc St and whose occupation was a Tailor.

I'll have another look at the Davies tree on Ancestry to see if there are any clues for their marriage. There is no specific information about this, such as the location, church etc.

Helig.

Online Hugo

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2020, 03:04:45 pm »
Thanks Helig for the info re Back Madoc Street.     At one time it was a hive of industry with many people working and living there.
I'm old enough to remember parts of the street before the houses were demolished to make way for the Victoria Centre

From the 1871 Census it would appear that David Davies was living in Fairfield and their elder son was born there so the marriage may have taken place there too

Online Hugo

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2020, 03:33:43 pm »
Here's a photo of Back Madoc Street and the old houses as I remember them in the mid 1960's

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2020, 03:48:48 pm »
A branch of the Davies family had a small grocers shop and attached cottage in Somerset Street, Their cottage/shop was pulled down at the end of the 90's and rebuilt in the same style to form the stockroom at the back of Shoe Zone.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Online Hugo

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2020, 05:32:03 pm »
An old photo of one of the traders in Back Madoc Street

Online Hugo

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2020, 05:49:21 pm »
I went to the Conwy Archives today and found the Baptism Register for David Davies ( see photo ) he was Baptised on the 28th May 1837 and at that time Henry was a miner and living at Pen Y Ffrith which are cottages on top of the Great Orme.     The entry is No 300 in the Register.

I had a look at the Burial Index for St Georges Church but there was no entry for Henry and Mary Davies but I did see the sad entry for their son Hugh who is referred to in that book.
The inscription on the headstone was all in Welsh but the English translation is as follows:-
Here lies the body of Hugh son of Henry and Mary Davies of Morfa Isaf.   Hewas buried on the 5th December 1844 aged 18 months
I called at the Church but the grave was not in the position shown on the map and it may have been relocated in the Churchyard

PS      The correct date for the Baptism of Elizabeth is confirmed at the 18th June 1789

Offline Bronwen

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2020, 08:45:26 pm »
Wow! Thank you so much, Hugo, Blongb, Helig, Bri Roberts, this is so kind, and amazing!

Thank you Hugo for nudging me to have a look, I really thought that we were stuck until the archives re-opened, and I wasn’t expecting that to happen just yet.

It’s beginning to feel like the real Davies family is being found. I am looking forward to the half term coming up when I can spend some time fitting in everything you have found out into my tree. I will probably have more questions then!!

Diolch yn fawr $3towns$

Online Hugo

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2020, 08:45:44 am »
Yesterday when I was in the Archives I was looking for information on William Davies, Henry's father.     I suspect the marriage was before 1789 because William's daughter was Baptised in 1789.
I couldn't find a record of the marriage between William and Catherine so perhaps Catherine was from another Parish and they were married in her Parish as was the custom in those days.
I couldn't find William's Baptism records either and that may simply because the records start from 1755 and William may have been born before that date.

Henry's marriage to Mary wasn't recorded in the Llandudno Parish Register that I looked at and that may be because they were married in the Parish where Mary lived at that time.     Census records show that Mary's birthplace was recorded as being in Llanfairfechan so there may be an entry in the Llanfairfechan Register,  those records incidentally are also in the Conwy Archives

I had a walk on the Great Orme this year and attach some photos to show you the beautiful views that Henry would have seen from his Pen Y Ffridd cottage and I've also included one of the resident Goats that live on the Orme

Online Hugo

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2020, 04:19:43 pm »
I have just been having a dabble on Free search and came across something that may be worth following up:-

The Marriage of William Davies to Catherine Roberts           
Marriage 4th June 1786  Conway Caernarfonshire
     "       Banns    "             "

The Register in the Conwy Archives may shed some light on this but unfortunately the Archives will now close for 17 days from this Friday                  "

Offline Helig

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2020, 02:48:56 pm »
Steve has posted this on the Gt Orme board but I thought you might like to see it:

This is a very unusual postcard and I have never seen anything like it before.

Helig