Author Topic: Davies family - Llandudno  (Read 11538 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Davies family - Llandudno
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 01:10:20 pm »
Hi Bronwen,   welcome from a very wet and windy Llandudno          $walesflag$

I was in the town today and while my wife was shopping I drove up the Orme and took a couple of photos for you of Ormonde Terrace where Idris Davies was born in 1909.
Do you know the number of the house he was born in?     In the photo No 1 is near the road and No 6 is at the other end of the terrace.

There is a reason why I'm asking and that is because Ormonde Terrace has appeared on other family research.    If you put "Ormonde Terrace into the search engine at the top right hand side of the page, add entire forum then click on search and you will see everything that has been posted previously about the terrace

One interesting thing I noticed was a posting from Jom,  she's from New Zealand and is a really great researcher.    The posting was 0n the 4th Sept 2016  and this is an extract from her posting  This is No 6 where the Davies family (Emily Agnes (Owen) and David DAVIES) lived. My mother vaguely recalls it.
If Idris was born at No 6 could that David Davies be your relation?      It may be just a coincidence but if not then you may have a distant relative in NZ

Offline Hugo

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 05:13:31 pm »
Until I am able to go to the Library or Conwy Archives I can't have access to any records including Census or Baptism  records etc but I did find a free search on the 1911 Census.        The info didn't give the address but I presume that was Ormonde Terrace and the details on the record which I presume you are aware of are as follows:-

Name                   relationship        age         Place of birth
David Edward  Davies       Head              36              Llandudno
Jane                   "            wife                29             Glan Conwy
Emlyn                 "            son                 7               Llandudno
David                  "              "                   5                     "
Idris                    "              "                   1                     "         

Offline Bronwen

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 11:26:36 am »
Thank you Hugo, yes, this is my Idris!!
They lived at number 2, Ormonde Terrace. Thank you so much for the pictures  :) .
My mum has described her grandparents cottage as tiny, with only 2 bedrooms upstairs, so the 4 boys shared the 2 bedrooms growing up, and their mum and dad slept downstairs. It didn’t do them any harm, I think all 4 went to university.  $drink$ Not bad going for a mining family who were squatting on the Morfa 3 generations before.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 01:05:59 pm »
Thanks Bronwen,  I don't know if you know the location to Ormonde Terrace but it's quite high up the Orme.     So the Davies family were not only clever but they must have been fit too!

I found out from a free search that Henry Davies was Baptised on the 27th July 1801 so although we know he was Baptised I couldn't find it on a search online.      However it will be in the Church Baptism Register and that is in the Conwy Archives which is closed at the moment.
As soon as I am able to I'll go there and look at the register which should show me Henry's parents and where they lived.     In 1861 the Census records show that Henry, his wife and two of their children were living at "back of Bryn Y Pin"      ( Eng  Hillof the Pine")   but I haven't been able to find out where that was

Offline Bronwen

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 02:01:22 pm »
Thank you Hugo - I didn’t really know where Ormonde Terrace was, I know mum used to take the Tram after they came by steam train to Llandudno to stay with grandparents.
Someone on Roots Chat found this for me showing a H Davies at Bryn y Pin, but I haven’t found out any more about where it is.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 03:48:07 pm »
Thanks Bronwen, that was a great help.    It looks like a type of Street Index that you have and gives me a rough idea of where Bryn Y Pin is or was.
Hen Dafarn in English means the old Tavern and the 18th century Hen Dafarn was on the right towards the top of Old Road as you are walking up the Orme.    Next time I go up there I'll have a look to see roughly where it is or was   

I've enclosed a link to a video of the Great Orme Tram  ( you might want to turn the volume down! )  but if you look at it you can see at 1.50 minutes where Hen Dafarn roughly was.
Then at 2.20 minutes the tram slows down where it takes a steep right hand turn.   Ormonde Terrace is straight ahead but out of sight to the left.       My Uncle Bob used to live in Llwynonn Road just below Ormonde Terrace and we used to jump off the tram at this point as there was no H & S in those days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIxLhXtORvI

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2020, 03:50:15 pm »
I suspect that Bryn y Pin now the property called "Bay View", 30 Ty Gwyn Road.

Offline Helig

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 03:43:27 pm »
Just to point out that Henry Davies and family are living in Lester Row in the 1841 census. He is shown as aged 35, a Copper Miner born Caernarfonshire. They have five children. The nearby properties are as follows:

Hen Dafarn
Gate House
Gwaith
Ty Salen (???)
Lester Row
Ochr y Don
Gogarth, occupied by Richard Jones Farmer.
Ty Newydd.

It looks as though it was near the Marine Drive area.

In the 1871 census Orme's Head Cottage is next to Gay Terrace which is shown in the article as next to Hen Dafarn.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 10:40:52 pm »
Thanks very much for finding that Helig.     Census records were done in some type of order but I don't know why they were done in this order.
I'm just best guessing on this but think that the houses followed this direction:-    starting from the Black Gate they went down Old Road and turned right into Cwlach Street and continued on to the Toll Gate area of West Shore before finishing at Gogarth Farm near the start of Llys Helig Drive

Ty Salen could be Ty Salem the Chapel house of Caersalem in Cwlach Street
Lester Row  I'm guessing are cottages owned by Roger Lester who lived at Bodnant also in Cwlach Street
Ochr Y Don ( side of the waves )  would be by the old Penmorfa Cottages
Gogarth occupied by Richard Jones  was on the Marine Drive by Llys Helig Drive
Ty Newydd,  I've no idea where this was exactly and think that there may have been more than one property in Llandudno with that name

Hope that you are keeping safe and well up there in Scotland

Offline Hugo

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 12:34:02 pm »
Bronwen,  I'm pleased to say that the Conwy Archives has now reopened and I have booked a slot for next Monday afternoon

I want to see the Baptism records for 1801 plus the Burial Index for St Tudno's Church so if I do find anything then I'll post it on here.

As a matter of interest have you been able to view the Census records or your relatives up to 1911?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2020, 04:15:22 pm »
Bronwen,   I called at the Conwy Archives today and looked at the Baptism records that included the year 1801.

I took a photo of Henry Davies' Baptism on the 27th July 1901 and as you can see from the records the details are as follows:-
Henry son of William Davies by Catherine his wife was Baptised 27th July 1801.
You can see from that and all the other Baptisms that no address for any of them wer recorded

However as the records I was looking at were from 1757 onwards I took the opportunity to look at them and this is what I found:-

Elizabeth daughter of William Davies and Catherine his wife was Baptised  June 18th 1789
William      son                                       ditto                                         June 19th 1793
Grace      daughter                                 ditto                                          July  23rd 1797
David         son                                      ditto                                          June 19th  1803
Thomas        "                                        ditto                                          December 30th 1804
James           "                                       ditto                                           July 6th   1806

PS     I've just looked at the notes I made and for Elizabeth I've got the 8th and 18th 1789 so I'm not certain which one is correct, sorry about that

I had a look at the Burial Index for St Tudno's Church but they had no entry for Henry and his wife.    Those Burial Indexes only record graves with headstones and those people who are buried in the Church graveyard.     There is a possibility that Henry may have been buried in St Georges graveyard in Llandudno but I didn't explore that possibility 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 11:18:15 am »
I've just had a look on Free Search and it appears that a Henry Davies died in 1873 aged 71      His death is recorded in the Conwy Registration District in the quarter ended March 1873.
The age matches so Henry Davies should appear in a Census for 1871

One entry I found in the Llandudno Parish Register was the Baptism of William on the 19th June 1793, William being an older brother of Henry.
I've been reading that book by Chris Draper again and at page 217 entitled Revenge of the Revenue Men and it is about the looting in 1824  when the Hornby was shipwrecked on the Great Orme
The name William Davies appears twice at the bottom of the page and both were imprisoned.      I wonder if one of the Williams was Henry's brother who would have been aged about 31 at that time.       The population of Llandudno in 1800 was only 318 and not many were called Davies.    Anyway that's just food for thought

Offline Hugo

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 12:10:59 pm »
I was able to get the info below from a Free Site but it doesn't give the address of Henry in 1871.
Other Census sites on subscription may give that info

Henry Davies
England and Wales Census, 1871

Name:   
Henry Davies
Event Type:   
Census
Event Date:   
Event Place:   
Llandudno, Caernarfonshire, Wales, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original):   
Llandudno, Carnarvonshire, Wales
Sub-District:   
Creuddyn
Enumeration District:   
Marital Status:   
Married
Copper Miner
Birth Year (Estimated):   
Birthplace:   
Llandudno, Caernarvonshire
Relationship to Head of Household:   
Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):   
Head
Affiliate Image Identifier:   
GBC/1871/5739/0240
Household   Role   Sex   Age   Birthplace
Henry Davies   Head   Male   70   Llandudno, Caernarvonshire
Mary Davies   Wife   Female   70   Conway, Caernarvonshire
Thomas Davies   Son   Male   41   Llandudno, Caernarvonshire
William Davies   Son   Male   39   Llandudno, Caernarvonshire
John Davies   Son   Male   32   Llandudno, Caernarvonshire

Offline Helig

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 02:22:05 pm »
Hello Hugo,

In the 1871 census Henry Davies and family were living in Orme's Head Cottage.

It is interesting to note that the previous household is a Davies family. The head is Keturah Davies, widow, age 47, Lodging House Keeper, born Llangefni, Anglesea. They are living at 3 Gay Terrace. The household before them is headed by John Davies, married, age 52, Quarryman, born Llandudno. This family is living at 2 Gay Terrace.

There is a Family Tree for Henry Davies on Ancestry. This shows his wife as Mary Holl and their marriage in Radnorshire in 1828. I have my doubts about this as Mary is shown as from Conwy in the 1871 census. There is nothing coming up for their marriage on Freereg for Caernarfonshire.

This tree has quite a bit of information on the children of Henry Davies and Mary.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 02:43:27 pm »
Thanks very much Helig for supplying all that information.      Just to clarify something, does Keturah Davies appear as the next door neighbour to Henry Davies?
It seems that a lot of Davies' lived in the same street but I've found nothing so far to link them as family members

Those records I was looking at in the Archives go back to 1755 so I'm hoping to go back again and look for certain things in them
Hope that you are keeping safe and well in these strange times.   We are in lockdown and it's a bit eerie        *tumble*