Author Topic: Ricky Valence  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Ricky Valence
« on: June 12, 2020, 09:25:44 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53026822

Ricky Valence, born in Wales, of Tell Laura I Love her fame has died.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

Re: Ricky Valence
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 08:18:56 am »
I remember the record very well but never realised until I heard on the news last night that he was a Welshman. 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 08:52:04 am »
I always thought, not that I had thought much on the subject, that he was American. Think I could still have the single somewhere !The fact that the BBC banned it was a big attraction in those days. Same thing with the Shangrilas Walking in the Sand. ?{}?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DVT

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 09:16:56 am »
Real name David Spencer ... the Ricky Valance name must have been to make him sound a bit more "hip".

One of my favourite records of all time, but as someone who has been involved in motor sport for more than 50 years I was always puzzled how Tommy could get his competition licence, and his car prepared for racing - having simply turned up and raced !!!  But all that would spoil the song lyrics, I am sure!

There were quite a few such tragic records at the time - Twinkle's "Terry" is another one that was a big hit.

RIP

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 10:14:01 am »
There were quite a few such tragic records at the time - Twinkle's "Terry" is another one that was a big hit.

RIP

I remember those type of songs very well and the Everley Brothers had one called Ebony Eyes which may have been on the b side of one of their hits