Author Topic: Alfred William Hughes  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Redknight59

Alfred William Hughes
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:23:52 pm »
I'm trying to find more information about Leading Aircraftsman Alfred William Hughes. He was the son of Alfred W. and Louise Hughes of Llandudno Junction, and husband of Helen Hughes, of 9 Stanley Road(?) Llandudno Junction. He was a crew member of Wellington Bomber T2802 which crashed on 24th May 1942 near Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk killing all nine on board, including my Uncle John George Ypres Boyle. I'm trying to trace any relatives of the crew and hopefully locate any pictures, articles or documents about them to add to a website I am compiling. I'm also hoping to organise some kind of memorial to the crew in time for the 80th anniversary of the crash in 2022. My website can be found at https://philboyle59.wixsite.com/t2802

Does anyone know if there are any family members still in the area? I realise Hughes isn't exactly a rare name in Wales but I remain hopeful there's someone out there who is related to Alfred or knows something about the family.

Thank you.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Alfred William Hughes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10:45:36 pm »
I suggest you also post your enquiry on a Facebook group page called Home Front Museum.

It is owned and run by local, Adrian Hughes, who is an expert in this field.

Offline mull

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 11:04:21 am »
Hi Bri, thank you for let us know of the Home Front Facebook site .

Had a look , very interesting.

Offline Redknight59

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 11:27:40 am »
Thanks Bri. I've now been in touch with Adrian and he is trying to assist me. The Home Front page is excellent and definately worth a view.

Offline Helig

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 11:42:32 am »
Hello Redknight59,

I have been looking at this from a genealogy perspective trying to find details of birth, marriage etc. It looks to me as though Alfred William H Hughes was born in 1915, birth registered in Holborn Registration District in the June quarter 1915. Mother's maiden name was Masters. There is a marriage of Alfred William H Hughes to Louise Masters in Pancras Registration District in the March quarter of 1915. Then a marriage of Alfred William H Hughes to Helen Harvey in Pancras Registration District in the June quarter 1936.

These are the only registrations that fit with the information we have.

It could be that the Hughes family were relocated to Llandudno Junction during WW2. Many families were moved out of London to Llandudno and the surrounding areas.

I expect you have this information but have included the link:

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/wardead/details.php?qnum=51261

Helig

Offline Redknight59

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 03:45:53 pm »
Hello Helig

Many thanks for your reply. It seems likely then that the Hughes surname is a bit of a red herring, I assumed that the family was Welsh but it seems they are English. I'll start trawling through connections in the London area, not as easy a proposition as Llandudno Junction!

I appreciate you finding this out for me.
Kind regards

Phil Boyle

Offline Helig

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 04:02:40 pm »
Hello Redknight59,

I have looked at the births registered in the name of Hughes, mother's maiden name Masters. I can advise you that there were five probable siblings of Alfred W Hughes whose births were registered in Pancras District from 1917 to 1927.

Since it is unlikely these people are still living, the details are being posed below:

1917 Alan J.G Hughes
1920 Ronald E.L.Hughes
1922 Joyce M. Hughes
1925 Eric R.J.Hughes
1927 Sylvia D. Hughes.

It is likely that there are relatives of Alfred W Hughes, b 1915, who are living today.

I cannot find a child of Alfred W Hughes and Helen Harvey that can be identified for certain.

Helig

Offline Redknight59

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 03:57:36 pm »
Hi Helig

Thank you so much for the information. That certainly gives me new areas of research to look into.

Kind regards
Phil Boyle