Author Topic: General Covid 19 news  (Read 97683 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: General Covid 19 news
« Reply #330 on: January 18, 2021, 03:53:04 pm »
Behaviour of some Welsh supermarket shoppers has 'really upset' government minister.     The actions of these  ignorant and selfish shoppers shouldn't be tolerated in any shape or form.      No mask should mean no entry and if they don't like it they can lump it and do their shopping on line

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/behaviour-welsh-supermarket-shoppers-really-19649110

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #331 on: January 18, 2021, 06:41:14 pm »
Behaviour of some Welsh supermarket shoppers has 'really upset' government minister.     The actions of these  ignorant and selfish shoppers shouldn't be tolerated in any shape or form.      No mask should mean no entry and if they don't like it they can lump it and do their shopping on line

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/behaviour-welsh-supermarket-shoppers-really-19649110

Any "Public Facing" worker who has/is working through this pandemic deserves our respect and thanks, my daughter is one of them, she has a young family, who have made sacrifices so she can keep working....again it is a small number of ignorant selfish morons who are responsible.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: January 18, 2021, 07:08:58 pm »
Our youngest son is an 'essential worker' in the power industry but he rarely encounters members of the public. But the one thing I assumed everyone would comprehend is the necessity of wearing masks. Sadly, it seems not.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #333 on: January 19, 2021, 01:50:21 pm »
'Life and death' warning for north-west Wales as mutant strain revealed to be behind spike
The newer strain is thought to be 70% more transmissible, with children far more likely to catch and spread it/

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/life-death-warning-north-west-19654892

This is the ending of the above story..........

“Statistics show that people believe that they are most likely to catch Coronavirus from a stranger. In fact, we are far more likely to catch the virus by bending or breaking the rules with people we know, such as meeting-up with friends or family from outside our households.

“The best way we can break the chain of death and illness is to act as if we and those around us have the virus – stay at home, keep at least 2 metres apart at all times if you have to leave the house, wash or sanitise your hands regularly, and wear a good quality face covering. It is also important to note that those who have had the COVID-19 vaccination still need to take these steps.

“If we all play our part now to protect our NHS, we can then rely on it to be there for us if and when we need it.”

Offline SteveH

« Reply #334 on: January 21, 2021, 03:57:51 pm »
A COACH company is offering transport to anyone in the community who needs help getting to their vaccination appointment.

Llandudno based independent coach operator Alpine Travel is offering the service free of change. It will operate from Monday to Friday.

In March 2020, the coach company introduced a scheme to help the community with the collection of prescriptions which helped keep employees engaged during the pandemic.

The scheme is for those struggling to arrange transport or those who are worried about taking public transport.

Telephone 01492 879133 or email help@alpine-travel.co.uk

Face coverings must be worn at all times.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19028177.llandudno-coach-operator-offers-free-transport-vaccination-appointments/

Offline DVT

« Reply #335 on: January 21, 2021, 08:21:52 pm »
I have seen a posting on another local group site that 80 year olds in Conwy area cannot get their vaccine (Astra Zeneca) due to a shortage, all those who should have been jabbed this week are now being told to go to Venue Cymru on Saturday (Pfizer vaccine).  I hope that they don't have to queue for hours in the rain as, apparently, people had to do yesterday.

Also reports about Mark Drakeford saying to hold back from using all vaccine now as he doesn't want innoculators sitting around idle as they wait for the next supply.  Just what is he doing?  In any case, surely best to get everyone jabbed asap, even if there is a gap in supplies.  I see our AM is calling for his resignation!

A relative of mine, who lives in Llandudno but currently locked down in England - rang the local surgery there today and got an appointment for next Monday.  She is Group 4 like me.

I had seen info saying to expect letter this week.  Have any other Group 4 members received their letter yet?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #336 on: January 21, 2021, 09:10:11 pm »
DVT,   I'm in group 4 and I've heard nothing about the vaccine but this morning I was speaking to my neighbour who is about 78.    He has had a letter and his appointment is for the 31st January at Venue Cymru but his wife who is in her early 80's has not heard about her appointment
I have heard stories that the vaccinations in Venue Cymru are only for three hours a day but I don't know if there is any truth in that allegation

My own thoughts are that that the First Minister is wrong in what he has said about the vaccinations.    If they do have sufficient vaccines as they say we have  then they should be given asap even if it means doing them 24 hours a day.   The situation is serious and time is against us
Mark Drakeford also made a mistake with the face masks and was too slow in making the public wear them.     Apart from these two examples I think that he has done a better job than Boris has done

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #337 on: January 21, 2021, 10:21:09 pm »
I hope that they don't have to queue for hours in the rain as, apparently, people had to do yesterday.

I was surprised to see so many queuing up outside yesterday after 4pm in the cold and the rain.

Btw, I am not over 80 years of age just yet.

I was simply passing on my daily walk.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #338 on: January 22, 2021, 10:06:42 am »
I have not received my letter as yet. :(  and we know a 94 year old still waiting ?

The daily rate of Covid-19 vaccination needs to be doubled to allow the UK to lift lockdown restrictions by May, new data has shown.

At the rate of the current rollout, it is expected that measures could still be in place by mid-September.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19030576.covid-vaccination-rate-must-double-lift-lockdown-may/

Covid-19 vaccines: Health minister accused of 'misleading' over claim
BBC 11 hours ago

Mr Gething said he had made an "innocent mistake".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55750297

Offline Hugo

« Reply #339 on: January 22, 2021, 12:09:47 pm »
I had a phone call today from a 74 year old friend in Porthmadog and neither he nor his wife have had the appointment letter for the vaccine,
He has to go to a hospital once a month and said that he had been speaking to a nurse at the hospital about the vaccinations,    Apparently she wrote to the relevant authority weeks ago and offered to vaccinate people for free but has not even had the courtesy of a reply.           &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #340 on: January 22, 2021, 12:19:17 pm »
Health minister sets date for rollout of vaccines to over 70s in Wales
Vaughan Gething said all health boards would start offering jabs by the end of next week

Covid-19 vaccines: Health minister accused of 'misleading' over claim
BBC 11 hours ago

Mr Gething said he had made an "innocent mistake".      Let's hope that it's not another innocent mistake this time

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/health-minister-sets-date-rollout-19678102

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2021, 06:45:04 pm »
Covid vaccination update:  Following a meeting with the Health Board vaccination team today we would like to inform you that patients aged 70-79 will be vaccinated at Venue Cymru.  You will receive a letter over the next couple of weeks with an appointment to attend.  The aim is to vaccinate this age group by the middle of February. If you are housebound you will be contacted by either the community district nursing team or the Practice to arrange vaccination at home.   This applies to all the Llandudno Practices.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: January 22, 2021, 07:19:30 pm »
Without wishing to depress you all more, this from New Scientist today:

New variant of coronavirus in the UK may be deadlier than the original virus

Preliminary evidence indicates the more transmissible B.1.1.7 variant of the coronavirus first identified in the UK may additionally be more deadly, UK prime minister Boris Johnson told a press briefing on Friday. The government was briefed by researchers in the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group, who are assessing the data on the variant, which appears to be about 30 per cent more deadly. Researchers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and at Imperial College London who analysed data on the new variant concluded it is between 29 and 36 per cent more lethal, whereas researchers at the University of Exeter put the figure at 91 per cent. The UK’s chief scientific adviser, Patrick Vallance, said the evidence on lethality “is not yet strong”, adding: “but it is obviously a concern”.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: January 23, 2021, 11:04:59 am »
We still don't know exactly how Covid is transmitted.

It may seem surprising, but more than a year after the coronavirus pandemic began, we still don’t know the relative importance of the different ways of catching covid-19: by touching contaminated surfaces or by breathing it in.

In March, UK government advice was that face coverings weren’t generally needed and that people should focus on frequent handwashing, use of hand sanitiser and wiping down surfaces.

Since then, the evidence has mounted that the virus can spread through the air, not only through larger droplets, but also through smaller ones that linger in the air for hours and spread for many metres – estimates for the cut-off range from 5 to 100 micrometres. Though most coronavirus safety guidelines now recognise the virus can spread through the air, they tend to focus on the risks from catching it via surfaces or large droplets that fall from the air in seconds and rarely spread more than 2 metres.

Studies in places where covid-19 is rare, which helps narrow possible transmission routes, are turning up incidents where aerosols seem to be the culprit. For instance, a person in South Korea was found to have caught the virus from someone sitting more than 6 metres away at an air-conditioned restaurant for five minutes.

A study of a superspreading event during a bus journey in China found that people caught the virus who were sitting 5 metres away.

There have also been cases within apartment blocks where the virus seems to have spread from one flat to others above it through their shared sewage pipes. “When you flush the toilet there’s massive aerosolisation,” says Raina MacIntyre at the University of New South Wales in Sydney.

Some aspects of UK government guidelines now acknowledge a risk of aerosol transmission but not all, and the public acts inconsistently, says Eilir Hughes, a GP in North Wales. While most people know spending time outside is safer than inside and to open windows when indoors with others outside their bubble, they may frequently go to supermarkets and stand within metres of people going maskless, for instance.

Hughes is co-founder of Fresh Air Wales, which campaigns for measures against airborne spread. The group wants the UK’s safety slogan to become “Hands, Face, Space, Replace”, indicating the need for people to refresh their air supply by opening windows. They also urge workplaces to use carbon dioxide monitors to check ventilation rates. The Isle of Anglesey County Council is due to give such monitors to schools, care homes and other public buildings like leisure centres.

Unlike larger droplets, aerosols can float around the face shields and plastic screens used in many supermarkets and restaurants. They can also get around the loose blue face masks widely used by the public.

A recent UK study showed healthcare staff in ICUs are less likely to catch the virus than those working elsewhere in hospitals, even though they carry out the riskiest procedures on covid-19 patients – perhaps because ICU staff use higher-grade masks. This month the British Medical Association asked Public Health England to recommend hospitals give all healthcare staff higher-grade masks.

Aerosol campaigners agree surface transmission also happens, and definitely don’t want people to stop handwashing, although they tend to downplay the benefits of frequent surface cleaning. “A casual touch of a surface is not going to get that much virus off it,” says Julian Tang at the University of Leicester, who is one of those calling for aerosol precautions.

But there is still much resistance to the idea that aerosols are the key transmission pathway. In September, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its website to say aerosols are the main way the virus spreads – but later removed the statement, saying it had been posted in error.

A UK government spokesperson said: “Letting fresh air into indoor spaces can greatly reduce the risk of infection from coronavirus.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #344 on: January 23, 2021, 11:19:02 am »
But there is still much resistance to the idea that aerosols are the key transmission pathway

I have always thought that we did not take the aerosol theory seriously enough, I admit to being over cautious and have both the mask and shield ready as a dual deterrent, also from a report I read a few weeks ago, there was a hint that the new variants traveled further, and social distancing needed to be greater than 2M, also some tests were showing that the virus was still showing on various surfaces a lot longer than previously thought, and extra precautions should be taken, (in some cases the surface was contaminated for up to two weeks)

PS
A friend taking his father to VC this morning for his jab, and told over 800 possible appointments today, but only 100 vaccines delivered.