Author Topic: General Covid 19 news  (Read 96171 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: General Covid 19 news.........Lockdown rules
« Reply #255 on: October 19, 2020, 03:37:16 pm »
Every Wales fire-break lockdown rule - from stay at home order to closure of shops and businesses
The First Minister confirms country will go back into lockdown for a fortnight in bid to get back on top of Covid-19 spread.

A two-week "firebreak" lockdown will be introduced across Wales from 6pm on Friday, First Minister Mark Drakeford has said.

Mr Drakeford told a Welsh Government press conference in Cardiff that the measure was necessary to reduce the spread of coronavirus and prevent the NHS from becoming overwhelmed.

A “short sharp" lockdown will come into force from 6pm this Friday, October 23, and will run until Monday, November 9.

Cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/every-wales-fire-break-lockdown-19128489

What fire-break lockdown means for schools and childcare in Wales
The First Minister says children will remain the government's 'top priority'
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/what-fire-break-lockdown-means-19129455

Offline Dave

Re: General Covid 19 news
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2020, 11:20:07 am »
So here we go again. The lockdown is actually more severe than last time In my humble opinion. Exercise only from home, all bar essential shops shut.Business shut. Economic chaos made worse.
Even the first minister says he doesn't expect a reduction in cases as a result but the idea is to slow down hospital admissions to save the NHS.

What I don't understand is why stores like B&Q which are brilliantly laid out and have the sort of things you might like to buy to keep you occupied at home are forced to shut. Once again there will be social media photos of folk walking out of B&M with cans of paint I expect. OK, we have three days to stock up...just to add to the number of people in the store.

I also don't understand that if the reports are true, hospital admissions are a lot lower now than they were when the last lockdown was called and back then we never did reach maximum capacity and the Rainbow hospitals remained empty so what's the problem now?

The one thing that is certain though is that devolved authority via regional assembly or city mayors has led to even more confusion and party politicking.

We are doomed!!!!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2020, 12:55:15 am »
Well Dave, I intend to do some DIY inclusion painting...  and I will indeed be buying it from B&M, what else can I do?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2020, 04:00:52 pm »
Well, in the months since the outbreak of Corvid at the beginning of the year, the area north of the A55 between Llandulas and the Conwy river has produced around 80 cases of corvid. How severe the effect was on those individuals I wouldn't know but they average out at around 2 cases a week amongst a population of say 40,000 people.
The chances of bumping in to those 2 new cases per week have increased now that they can only buy paint in B&M Fester $donald$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2020, 12:12:21 am »
A month or two ago, my old Mum in her care home was listening to Mark Drakeford on TV saying that there was about a one in 90,000 chance of meeting somebody with Covid.
So, shielding was coming to an end for those awaiting transplants and other medical conditions.
But not for the elderly!
So, she said to me, I want to go out for a walk or a coffee etc..... and I’d have to meet every person in FIVE towns the size of Llandudno before I meet someone with Covid.
Why can’t I go out?  Why won’t the man on the telly let me live before I die?

I have to say, it’s hard to answer those questions for her.
Needless to say, after nearly nine months now, she’s still imprisoned.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2020, 09:59:50 am »
It's the same as the coin flip conundrum: although it's unlikely you'll get heads twelve times in a row, it's perfectly possible.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2020, 01:23:18 pm »
A council leader has revealed 96 per cent of the people named as contacts by those infected with Covid-19 in his county have been traced.

Conwy county council leader Cllr Sam Rowlands gave the information in response to a question in a full meeting of members from Capelulo councillor Anne McCaffrey.

Cllr McCaffrey said the virus was “spiralling out of control” and the death toll in the county had risen to 191.

She said national politicians continued to “argue about the facts, about the science and about the evidence”, before asking what “granular information at neighbourhood level” was being used to inform the council’s decision making.     cont   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18816955.test-trace-success-rate-96-per-cent-conwy/

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2020, 05:05:36 pm »
Cynics could say that Llandudno's sample was taken from the Pier Pavilion site but Waldron poo-pooed the suggestion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54661893

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2020, 03:08:35 am »
It is just past 3am and I have woken up in a panic.

It is our wedding anniversary on November 8th and I have not yet bought a card.

November 8th is the day before this lockdown is lifted.

))*  $booboo$

Offline SteveH

Offline Hugo

« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2020, 11:36:36 am »

))*  $booboo$

&shake&                   $smack$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2020, 02:35:54 pm »

))*  $booboo$

https://boomf.com/boomf-bomb/anniversary

These look entertaining !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2020, 08:49:23 pm »
My marriage may be saved yet.  *&(

“The Welsh Government is to review the ban on supermarkets selling non-essential after a massive backlash against the rules.“

Offline DVT

« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2020, 09:47:56 am »
Surely the reason the likes of Asda and Tesco (other supermarkets are available) are prevented from selling non-essentials is to help those small shops that sell similar items but are being forced to close.

I am not a shop owner but if I was I would not be happy that the supermarkets were allowed to sell the same things as I do, however non-essential they are.  Small shops probably already lose out due to prices charged, so to be prevented from selling in direct competition does seem wrong.

As for birthday cards - plenty of online ways of getting a personalised card sent!  My wife's birthday is on 3rd November, fortunately I am able to design and print my own!  As for a pressie, she wants a new CD by a well-known Irish singer and that could be bought with the next weekly shop if the restriction is lifted on non-essentials - or I could order it online.  Plus, of course, it's the thought that counts!

All is not lost, Bri Roberts !!

Offline Dave

« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2020, 09:18:12 am »
Surely the reason the likes of Asda and Tesco (other supermarkets are available) are prevented from selling non-essentials is to help those small shops that sell similar items but are being forced to close.

I am not a shop owner but if I was I would not be happy that the supermarkets were allowed to sell the same things as I do, however non-essential they are.  Small shops probably already lose out due to prices charged, so to be prevented from selling in direct competition does seem wrong.

As for birthday cards - plenty of online ways of getting a personalised card sent!  My wife's birthday is on 3rd November, fortunately I am able to design and print my own!  As for a pressie, she wants a new CD by a well-known Irish singer and that could be bought with the next weekly shop if the restriction is lifted on non-essentials - or I could order it online.  Plus, of course, it's the thought that counts!

All is not lost, Bri Roberts !!

The competition aspect is the reason given for what I think is a stupid idea. But there again I think shutting all shops is stupid and I have happily signed a petition against stopping supermarkets freedom to sell "non essential" items but think it should have been to allow all shops to continue not just supermarkets. Finding alternatives such as online shopping is of course possible but that doesn't help local business either. My own very limited experience of local shopping has been nothing but impressed by the extent to which safety precautions have been implemented. The traffic flow in these shops tends to be much lower than supermarkets anyway, and in my opinion offer less risk.
It's sod's law of course but our fridge broke down yesterday which now means I have to supermarket shop more frequently than the once a week I have been doing. During the last lockdown it was our washing machine. We waited until the favoured small independent was allowed to open again and purchased a new one. The only other customers waited outside while we completed our transaction and it was their turn to enter the shop. What's the problem with that?