Author Topic: General Covid 19 news  (Read 96059 times)

Offline Dave

Re: General Covid 19 news
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2020, 04:38:51 pm »
What I'm suggesting is that if there are that many cases perhaps a large number are asymptomatic. Yes they carry a threat to those that are vulnerable and consequently I still think we should be told to wear a mask when in shops etc. The reality in terms of those suffering from the disease is that it's possibly a relatively small number.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2020, 05:18:38 pm »
What I'm suggesting is that if there are that many cases perhaps a large number are asymptomatic. Yes they carry a threat to those that are vulnerable and consequently I still think we should be told to wear a mask when in shops etc. The reality in terms of those suffering from the disease is that it's possibly a relatively small number.

This might help get things in perspective Dave https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc811/msoamap/index.html?from=timeline When the map loads just zoom in on Conwy.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2020, 05:31:58 pm »

Yep.  Take that point. That's the other issue with this thing.  It's the ultimate 'unlucky dip' of illnesses. Many won't be symptomatically affected at all.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2020, 11:35:44 am »
From New Scientist today:

Evidence suggests that the virus kills through a two-pronged attack that perturbs both our immune defences and our blood-clotting system. Covid-19 was initially seen as a respiratory illness, but some of those who die from it experience not only lung failure but also heart attacks, strokes, kidney damage and other conditions caused by blood clots.

The good news is that several existing and novel treatments to fight both of those impacts are being investigated and some are already in use. “We think we know the mechanisms for how it [kills],” says Chris Meadows, an intensive care doctor at Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospitals trust in London. “Treatment is now directed against those mechanisms, largely towards reducing inflammation and clots. I think we are pretty close to working it all out.”
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2020, 10:41:03 am »
Preparations are underway at North Wales coronavirus field hospitals should there be a second wave of the virus in the region.

The news comes after two giant oxygen tanks were installed at the Ysbyty Enfys/Rainbow Hospital site at Venue Cymru, Llandudno.

It is understood the 20ft tanks would supply oxygen to patients recovering from the novel coronavirus strand if a second tranche of infections were to hit the area.     cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/giant-oxygen-tanks-arrive-coronavirus-18490761

Offline SteveH

« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2020, 03:52:30 pm »
This is a subject I have read up on over the last few months, and would thoroughly recommend watching this short You Tube video, of an interview with Dr Chris on "This Morning" regarding Could Vitamin D Help Protect You From The Virus? (we started a course recently), this is an easy explanatory Q and A video.

Search   ........... You Tube Could Vitamin D Help Protect You From The Virus? | This Morning

Direct link..........  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFKuE_1cR-M

Offline SteveH

« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2020, 11:03:54 am »
Informative article

Parts of Wales have the highest levels of coronavirus in the UK - but that's because England isn't counting properly
Public health experts also say that the high levels of cases being found in Wales also show the test, track and trace programme is working

An investigation by the Financial Times has revealed this is largely because England has been publishing the wrong data.

cont  https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/coronavirus-wrexham-cases-spike-north-18513005

Offline SteveH

« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2020, 10:25:34 am »
A good report from a doctor who does not pull his punches...literately

False test results 'likely' fuelled spread of Covid-19 through North Wales hospital, top doctor says
Wrexham Maelor consultant Stephen Kelly believes 'false negative' swab testing could have spread infection and put medics at 'very real risk of death'

A senior doctor today told of his battle with Covid-19 and how the disease robbed him of seeing his dying father.

Wrexham Maelor respiratory consultant Dr Stephen Kelly revealed how most of his colleagues became infected with coronavirus and "risked respiratory failure and death, simply for doing their job" as they battled the pandemic.

And he told how unreliable tests meant "in the early weeks we moved many false negative patients to ‘safe’ areas" where they were likely to have infected other patients.

The British Medical Association Welsh Consultants Committee member also issued a stark message about funding, saying he didn't know how the public had "put up with the level of NHS service over the last 30 years".

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/unreliable-tests-likely-fuelled-spread-18531918

Offline SteveH

« Reply #158 on: July 04, 2020, 11:21:53 am »
Reality Check
Coronavirus: Why surviving the virus may be just the beginning
By Chris Morris
BBC Reality Check............Bit of a read, but interesting if you have the time.

The first thing Simon Farrell can remember, after being woken from a medically induced coma, is trying to tear off his oxygen mask.
He had been in intensive care for 10 days, reliant on a ventilator just to breathe.

"I was trying to pull the mask off my face, and the nurse kept putting it back on," he recalls.

When doctors woke him up, his body had fought off the worst of Covid-19 but he still needed oxygen to support his damaged lungs. And the 46-year-old father-of-two was suffering from such severe delirium he was trying to deny himself the oxygen he required.
cont    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/53193835

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2020, 12:38:24 pm »
I watched an interesting report on CNN yesterday that showed an American alternate treatment instead of using ventilation. The patients blood in large volumes was richly oxygenated outside the body. like during dialysis, and then returned to the patient, taking the load off the lungs. Using this method it avoided all of the damage to the internal organs through lack of oxygen that can be associated with the use of ventilators on patients who.s lungs can no longer function efficiently. This treatment is showing a much higher successful recovery rate.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2020, 03:30:20 pm »
I know some of us got these masks, nice to here positive news about them.

'Life-saving' £20 face mask prevented coronavirus outbreak at Anglesey care home, owners claim
The special face covering as been branded as a 'game-changer' in the fight against Covid-19.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/life-saving-20-face-mask-18544945

Also nice to hear ...
A field hospital which remains on alert for a possible second coronavirus wave has been put into use by a health board.

Llandudno’s Venue Cymru was converted into Ysbyty Enfys/Rainbow Hospital in April and May and fully set up to take patients recovering from Covid-19.
However, the anticipated wave of cases didn’t materialise and the facility, along with sister sites at Bangor and Deeside, has been on standby ever since.

Last week, giant oxygen tanks were installed near the building and Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board confirmed it was holding on to all three Rainbow Hospitals in case a second wave of the virus hit the region.

Speaking at Tuesday’s Conwy council cabinet meeting, Dr Mark Baker, lead member for heritage and culture, said: “I can now announce that Venue Cymru is being used for maternity outpatient appointments, antibody testing and admin by Betsi Cadwaladr.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2020, 06:28:55 pm »
I would say we're 7-10 days away from a significant rise in case numbers.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2020, 10:44:03 am »
I would say we're 7-10 days away from a significant rise in case numbers.

I must admit to having the same thoughts about two weeks ago, when England lifted their rules, but nothing too drastic happened, but now, the thing that is worrying, is the number of times I have read on local social media, "well I'm glad that's over".......... it should be a bit like passing your driving test, that's the day you start learning to drive. :-\

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2020, 10:59:59 am »
Well, Sheffield's seeing a spike (we have GP friends there) and I suspect soon other major cities will join Leicester in localised lockdown.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2020, 11:04:50 am »
This mornings story "Boris Johnson criticised over 'cowardly' care home comments" and I agree with the reply ""I think at best this was

clumsy and cowardly," bearing in mind last months article "Hospitals sent 334 patients back to North Wales care homes - without testing

them for coronavirus"  also "The Welsh Conservatives have called for an urgent investigation after 1,300 people were discharged between March and April"......       time to remember where the buck stops.

Boris Johnson criticised     https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53315178

Hospitals sent 334 patients back          https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hospitals-sent-334-patients-back-18381757