Author Topic: Covid distractions  (Read 32934 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Covid distractions..........Special Award
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2020, 04:32:32 pm »
We have been reading about some moronic behavior recently,  this is what we need more of........

Coronavirus: Army veteran, 99, 'smashes' £500k NHS target.                $salute$

A 99-year-old army veteran who has joined the fundraising fight against Covid-19 has "smashed" his £500,000 target.

Tom Moore aims to complete 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden by Thursday, walking with the aid of a frame.

He originally hoped to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together, to thank "magnificent" staff after recent treatment for a broken hip and cancer.
He said: "I thank the British public from the bottom of my heart."

"Who would have thought that when I set a target of £1,000 a week ago, it could have reached £500,000?" he added.

cont    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52269398

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Covid distractions
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2020, 03:17:05 pm »
The Goats are getting in everywhere!

Offline SteveH

Re: Covid distractions..........Special Award
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2020, 12:12:36 pm »
We have been reading about some moronic behavior recently,  this is what we need more of........

Coronavirus: Army veteran, 99, 'smashes' £500k NHS target.                $salute$
A 99-year-old army veteran who has joined the fundraising fight against Covid-19 has "smashed" his £500,000 target.

Tom Moore aims to complete 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden by Thursday, walking with the aid of a frame.
He originally hoped to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together, to thank "magnificent" staff after recent treatment for a broken hip and cancer.
He said: "I thank the British public from the bottom of my heart."
"Who would have thought that when I set a target of £1,000 a week ago, it could have reached £500,000?" he added.
cont    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52269398

The gentleman at the top of this page, is still going strong...........£6,100,000 and is growing by the minute   $salute$     $salute$

A 99-year-old veteran who is raising funds for the NHS by walking 100 lengths of his garden has said it is “completely out of this world” that people have donated more than £5 million.

Captain Tom Moore is on track to complete 100 of the 25-metre laps before he turns 100 on April 30.

Mr Moore, who lives with his family in Bedfordshire, had hoped to raise £1,000 for the NHS when he started the challenge last week.

By Wednesday morning, more than 255,000 supporters had sponsored him a total of more than £5,100,000.

Full story         https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18380798.veteran-99-raises-5m-nhs-garden-challenge/

12.35 PS  This story is going through the roof, it is raising approx £1000 per minute.

TV interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9k2gfBmetc

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2020, 12:56:49 pm »
What a great achievement, he was on a link on TV this morning and they had a countdown to the £5m mark and now it has gone up even more        &well&

Offline SteveH

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2020, 10:47:56 am »
Coronavirus: Capt Tom Moore finishes NHS fundraiser as it tops £12.000.000                 $salute$

A 99-year-old war veteran has walked 100 laps of his garden to raise more than £12m for the NHS.

Capt Tom Moore originally wanted to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together by completing laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.

But he smashed his target after more than 640,000 people made donations to his fundraising page.

As he finished the challenge, he said: "I feel fine, I hope you're all feeling fine too."

He told the BBC earlier that the total amount raised so far was "an absolutely fantastic sum of money".

"I never dreamt I would be involved in such an occasion as this," he said at the end of his final lap.

By 09:00 BST, Capt Moore's Just Giving page was showing donations of more than £12.3m and had temporarily crashed.

Cont plus video of the finish            https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52303859

Offline Hugo

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2020, 12:27:00 pm »
What a guy he is, a real gentleman and a soldier.   There have been calls for him to be knighted and if anyone deserves it then he does.
He was on TV this morning and had a guard of honour from his old regiment and it was a really moving experience just watching him and listening to his encouraging words of wisdom
When Michael Ball sang " you'll never walk alone" the words and emotions were so true

If Capt Tom Moore was to be knighted then I'm sure that he would accept the award in a humble and gracious manner, unlike an ex footballer who had a four letter rant because he was passed over for the same title

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2020, 01:03:54 pm »
Just a thought for the times we find ourselves in

Offline SteveH

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2020, 10:20:56 am »
A 99-year-old war veteran has walked 100 laps of his garden to raise £17.000.000 and counting for the NHS.

Captain Tom Moore originally aimed to raise just £1,000 for NHS Charities Together by completing laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.   ref BBC

Offline SteveH

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2020, 11:18:21 am »
A 99-year-old war veteran has walked 100 laps of his garden to raise £17.000.000 and counting for the NHS.

Captain Tom Moore originally aimed to raise just £1,000 for NHS Charities Together by completing laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.   ref BBC

I was wondering where all this money would go...................

How Will Captain Tom Moore's £14m Be Spent To Help NHS Workers?
A 99-year-old veteran has become a national hero by raising cash for the health service. Here’s where the money is going.

We know that the millions will be donated to NHS Charities Together.

The charity, which is an umbrella body for NHS charities nationwide, has set the ambitious target of raising £100m for NHS workers through its NHS Charities Covid-19 Appeal.

Before its fundraising appeal began on March 23, NHS Charities Together was not a household name, but within weeks it has raised a huge amount of money.

Here’s what we know about the charity and how the appeal funds will be spent.

What is NHS Charities Together?
NHS Charities Together is the official charity partner of the NHS nationally.

It holds a licence from the health secretary to use the NHS brand, and to fundraise for NHS charitable funds in the UK. It is the only national charity able to do this.

The charity acts as an umbrella organisation for the other 230 NHS charities.

It is a small organisation that, as of last week, had only five staff – but has despite its size managed to channel the outpouring of public goodwill for the NHS into a formidable fundraising operation.   

According to Charity Commission records, NHS Charities Together was newly registered as a charity on November 25, 2019, but it formerly operated as the Association of NHS Charities with a rather more modest income of £271,262 in 2018.

NHS charities will be the ultimate beneficiaries of money donated to the Covid-19 appeal, and it will support NHS staff and patients.

But charity money does not replace core government funding and cannot be used to buy frontline NHS equipment, such as ventilators, personal protective equipment or coronavirus testing.
NHS Charities Together says it is working with trustees, NHS charities, and the fund management company CCLA to set up an emergency grants fund.

The fund will do three things.
Firstly, it will quickly hand out money to be spent on enhancing the well-being of NHS staff, volunteers and patients by paying for things like well-being packs, meal deliveries, wash kits and furniture for rest rooms.

Money will also be available to support patients’ mental health by providing electronic devices so they can talk to family and friends.
Secondly, the charity says it has ring-fenced funds to be spent after the coronavirus crisis on supporting the mental health and recovery of NHS staff and volunteers.

And, thirdly, money will also go to bolstering care and hospice services in the community so more patients can leave hospital quickly (and stay out of it), reducing the pressure on inpatient beds.

The charity’s chief executive Ellie Orton told BBC One that the £14m raised by Captain Tom Moore would be used to support these efforts.
How much has been raised?
As of April 16, the NHS Charities Together appeal has raised £27,154,185 separately from the £14m also raised by Captain Tom Moore.

The £27m total includes two multi-million donations made in the first weeks of the campaign, which launched on March 23.

Full article...............,  https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/captain-tom-moore-nhs-appeal_uk_5e981f86c5b65eae709fb903

Details of the "NHS Charities Together"    https://www.nhscharitiestogether.co.uk/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2020, 10:34:48 am »
Captain Tom Moore
Captain Tom Moore's 100th Birthday Walk for the NHS     official justgiving link https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs

£21,902,182.21  and still growing
raised of £500,000.00 target
by 1066088 supporters

Offline SteveH

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2020, 10:21:38 am »
Captain Tom Moore
Captain Tom Moore's 100th Birthday Walk for the NHS
Cpt Tom Moore is walking 100 lengths of his garden for NHS Charities Together because our fantastic NHS workers are national heroes

5125%
                                                                                      £25,626,049.21
raised of £500,000.00 target
by 1221182 supporters

Offline SteveH

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2020, 04:09:25 pm »
Great idea, pity no stony beaches nearby...........

Dozens of stacks of pebbles have been built on a beach by people doing their daily exercise during the coronavirus lockdown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-52356077

click to enlarge

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2020, 05:10:38 pm »
It’s come to my attention that some people are going crazy over the lockdown.

I’ve actually just been talking about this with the microwave and toaster while drinking coffee and all of us agreed things are getting worse.

I didn’t mention anything to the washing machine as she puts a different spin on things and certainly not to the fridge as he is acting cold and distant.

I did discuss it with the hoover and he said the whole thing sucks.

Meanwhile, the blender has mixed feelings and the taps kept running hot and cold about the idea.

The whisk refused to talk about it because she didn’t want to whip things into a frenzy and the eggs kept quiet because they didn’t want to get a beating.

I didn’t check with the oven because she’s far too hot headed.

The bin spouted a whole load of rubbish about the situation and the freezer just gave me a frosty reception.

In the end, the iron calmed me down: she said everything will be fine - no situation is too pressing.

The tin at the back of the cupboard with no label on thinks it’s a total mystery.

The spoons reckon I’m going stir crazy and the knife made some very cutting remarks then told me to fork off.

The squash was very cordial about it all.

Unlike the lemon who was extremely bitter about the whole thing.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2020, 05:35:44 pm »
 _))*       clappinghappy

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2020, 06:32:43 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.