Author Topic: Covid-- safe shopping.  (Read 15152 times)

Offline Dave

Re: Covid-- safe shopping.
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2021, 06:48:47 pm »
Slow off the mark again! We should never have relaxed the supermarket shopping rules, it's the one place most people have to visit. Yes you can get deliveries booked online but not everyone can get a suitable date or even have the ability to order that way. For the main shop I have stuck with Aldi and Lidl throughout other than one venture in to Asda which was chaotic.For odd items the Co-op in Deganwy is very well organised as is the one in Penrhyn Bay.
Interestingly the design layout for the new Junction Lidl makes one way traffic all the way around the store impossible from what I can recall. Nice wide isles though!

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2021, 06:51:39 pm »
The new Lidl is somewhat chaotic, I nipped in for milk and felt that I was in the middle of a jumble sale.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Dave

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2021, 06:59:38 pm »
Seems to have a full car park at the weekend but often quiet during the week Nemesis. No more than a dozen cars this morning at 10.00am.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2021, 10:02:18 am »
Sainsbury’s to enforce mask-wearing and shopping alone in stores
The news comes after Morrisons announced plans to bar customers who refuse to wear a mask

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/sainsburys-enforce-mask-wearing-shopping-19606759

Offline SteveH

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2021, 02:06:48 pm »
Sainsbury’s to enforce mask-wearing and shopping alone in stores
The news comes after Morrisons announced plans to bar customers who refuse to wear a mask

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/sainsburys-enforce-mask-wearing-shopping-19606759

The Welsh Government's health minister said the move was welcome.
Speaking to BBC Radio Wales, he said: "I think it's really important that everyone understands how serious this is.

"We've had widespread reports from constituents, all of us in the government and representatives from all parties, from people who are concerned about what is and isn't happening within supermarkets.

"It appears to be individualised, rather than a whole chain having an approach that doesn't match the requirements.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/welsh-government-backs-sainsburys-morrisons-19608857

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2021, 03:50:36 pm »
Tesco's are doing something similar and it's not before time,    A close family member works there and I have seen the effect the abuse and intimidation has had on them.
One good thing is that they are employing security guards to monitor the customers.      Some other shops have signs on their windows saying "no mask - no entry"     if the individual does not like wearing a mask then shop online instead

https://i2-prod.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article19605299.ece/ALTERNATES/s458/3_MSR_MAI_110121david.jpg

Offline SteveH

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2021, 02:09:03 pm »
Businesses in Wales will have to carry out a specific coronavirus risk assessment under new Welsh Government legislation.

First Minister Mark Drakeford has announced that the risk assessments will be "the starting point for implementing the reasonable measures that are required" to keep people safe in shops and the workplace.

Companies will have to consider issues such as whether ventilation is adequate, hygiene measures are in place, physical distancing is taking place and the use of PPE and face coverings.

He added: "Ministers have also met this week with key retailers to discuss their vital role during the pandemic.

"They set out the actions they are taking from providing sanitisers for hands and trolleys on entry, limiting the numbers in store at any one time, and making regular announcements reminding people to keep their distance from others.

"We will strengthen regulations to ensure retailers take these steps so that their premises are as safe as possible for shoppers and their employees alike.
"Many are already operating high standards and we need to raise the bar for those who could and should improve.

"However we all have a personal responsibility to help make shops as safe as possible.
"We all need to shop alone if we can, observe the 2m rule, practise good hand hygiene and wear a face covering unless exempt.

"Any abuse directed at store employees who remind people of their responsibilities will not be tolerated.”
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mark-drakeford-reveals-new-law-19631005

Also BBC report....

New laws for shoppers and staff are to be introduced after "significant evidence" coronavirus is being spread in supermarkets, the first minister has said.           https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55667624

Offline Dave

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2021, 08:27:55 pm »
There are times when you just despair. Months later our esteemed leader now declares the need to tighten up procedures in supermarkets. This has been something that should have been happened months ago . Of course back then when he and his health minister went shopping at their local supermarket everything seems hunky dory. Now there's a surprise.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2021, 11:14:08 am »
There's been a lot of stable doors being bolted after the horses have escaped, that's for sure .
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2021, 02:54:12 pm »
The combination of a 90% off clothing at M&S yesterday, and those who think a bargain is more important than coming out of lock down sensibly, is/was very disappointing, a queue with shoppers standing shoulder to shoulder on a mobbed Mostyn  St, ignoring the rules is not a good sign for the continuing drop in Covid numbers, it would appear also by various comments on social media, that as a lot of people have had the vaccine, every thing is OK now.      &shake&       

Not just Llandudno then..............

Covid: Shop worker gets customer abuse 'every day for a year'    (definitely unsung heroes of the pandemic.)

The re-opening of aisles and reductions in clothing prices saw queues around the stores in Swansea and Neath Port Talbot, Ms Davies told Radio Wales.

She said the situation was "manic", with people buying in bulk and the extra customer numbers making social distancing difficult.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56495433

Offline SteveH

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2021, 01:42:37 pm »
People are being asked to be respectful to shop workers as thousands of non-essential retail stores prepare to reopen across England and Wales.

The British Retail Consortium (BRC) is calling on shoppers to adhere to social-distancing rules and "queue considerately" as curbs ease on Monday.

The Co-op reported a rise in abuse and assaults involving staff during Covid.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said last year she "will not tolerate" abuse against shop workers.

The latest step in the government's roadmap in England sees non-essential retail such as clothes and technology shops reopen on Monday alongside hairdressers, beauty salons and gyms.

In Wales, all shops will reopen as every pupil returns to the classroom.

cont   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56706798

Offline SteveH

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2021, 09:49:02 am »
Weary Welsh supermarket worker's heartfelt plea to Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, and Asda shoppers
The anonymous worker's simple appeal and brutal assessment of people's behaviour is shocking and has been shared thousands of time

The new post by an unidentified worker said: "I wish people were more respectful of supermarket workers.

"I can’t count how many times I’ve been shoved out of the way when I’m trying to put something on the shelf or people rudely reaching over me instead of kindly asking me to step out of the way.

"I’ve given up telling people to wear something on their face. They get incredibly confrontational. Policy is that I can’t serve them otherwise. We’ve been doing this for an entire year you’d think they would be more in tune with the times.

"People throw their shopping down on the counter and then huff loudly ushering me to hurry up like I’m some personal butler.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/weary-supermarket-workers-heartfelt-plea-20627096?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2021, 10:01:56 am »
Are supermarket shoppers in Wales sticking to Covid rules around masks after England ditched them?

As I entered the store, I was met with bright yellow signs, warning customers that they must wear a face covering to enter the store, unless exempt.

This felt very different to the start of the pandemic, when every store would have staff at the door to make sure everyone was following the latest Covid rules.

Signs also encourage people to shop alone, but my experience was that most people have returned to their pre-pandemic shopping habits, alongside their families.

As I made my way into the store, I was met with a fully-stocked trolley-cleaning station, although not everyone chose to wait in line to use it.

What stood out to me was that customers are trusted to enforce the rules themselves, and I was pleasantly surprised to see most people taking this very seriously.

Well-prepared customers donned face coverings as they walked across the car park, others made the familiar scramble for a mask in bags and coat pockets.

Since the start of the pandemic, Asda has offered free masks to customers in their stores, and I spotted a stand with a plentiful supply of disposable masks as soon as I walked in.

To my surprise, every person I had seen enter the store without a mask, quickly approached the stand and put on a mask, without hesitation.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/supermarket-shoppers-wales-sticking-covid-21358454?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Nice to hear most are following the rules, however I find the comment below worrying, if you forget your mask in the first place  &shake&

One woman commented as she walked past: “It’s so easy to forget them at home isn’t it, thank god they have them here.”

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2021, 10:38:39 am »
I think the single thing that's struck me about this pandemic is that the death rates are rising again.  World wide they're now almost at four and a half million.

A hundred years ago, when the Spanish 'flu was nearing its end, the death toll was around 50m. The current death toll is a mere 2.5% of that, but what does that mean?

We have a hundred years of modern medicine and knowledge behind us, which makes me wonder if this isn't just as deadly as the Spanish 'flu was. And, as we're seeing on a daily basis, the knowledge of disease proliferation doesn't appear to be that widespread.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2021, 02:09:24 pm »
Iceland bosses said that their staff will not enforce mask-wearing in their stores after England reintroduced their Covid rules to come in line with Wales.

From today people in England face fines of £200 for refusing to wear a mask when required - doubling after each offence. Mask wearing is already mandatory in Wales.

Managing director of the frozen food chain, Richard Walker said they would instead be focusing on the “long-term recovering of the high street., according to Wales Online.

The supermarket chain, whose headquarters are based in Deeside, said staff on the shop floor should not be asked to intervene when they spot someone without a mask and that Iceland staff would not be policing the policy in their stores.

He told the Daily Mail: “We fully support the reintroduction of compulsory face masks in shops, however, we won’t be asking our store colleagues to police it.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/iceland-boss-says-wont-enforce-22318322