Author Topic: Covid-- safe shopping.  (Read 14892 times)

Offline Dave

Covid-- safe shopping.
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:50:20 pm »
We are trying our best to minimise our need to go and restock with food, in fact our only experience since last week was me popping out for bread and milk on Monday morning. As supplies were limited to one item when it came to milk and I was shopping for some "at risk" neighbours too I ended up going to two shops.
My experience was as follows

Mid morning Co-op Penrhyn Bay was quiet, well supplied and customers queued in a very orderly fashion keeping 2m apart. A positive experience

Co-op Craig-y-Don doesn't lend itself to orderly queuing and there was no attempt to do so. Two people I suggested kept their distance looked at me as if I was an alien. Both were in the pensioner bracket, one must have been at least mid 70's. A bad experience and a shop I'll now avoid.

If others can share their shopping experiences , recommend well organised shops, or warn against others, it might help all of us self distance more easily at a time when we will all need to go out sooner or later.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Covid-- safe shopping.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 02:09:19 pm »
Good idea, Dave.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 04:42:53 pm »
Rumour has it, this morning at Asda supposedly, 8 till 9 for NHS and elderly, went completely haywire, they opened the doors to 200 people, in one go, no advice on distance etc, one elderly lady left empty handed she was so scared by the rush of bodies, when someone complained to the manager he shrugged his shoulders, he has been reported to various bodies, now on the other hand apparently at 10am all was civilised, as I said this is social media chat.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 04:50:03 pm »
My Brother in Law went to Tesco this afternoon & was very impressed with how they are coping. Only about 25 in the store at any one time, then a one in one out basis. Queueing outside was orderly & respectful. Plenty on the shelves even toilet rolls.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 04:58:17 pm »
Hope this is allowed as I'm not sure if it is classed as advertising. A friend called today to tell me she had had a box of fruit & veg delivered & it's all excellent quality, but had had to wait for 4 days. I had been trying all weekend to place an order with no luck but as they had been overwhelmed, they had to suspend new orders for a while. They have started taking orders again this afternoon so if anyone wants a box delivered it M Hughes & Sons, Llandudno.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 05:43:57 pm »
That's good to know, Meleri.  Information like that is important for all the communities locally.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

Re: Covid-- shopping.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 06:14:48 pm »
Full list of Dedicated shopping hours for NHS, elderly and vulnerable at UK supermarkets.

Supermarket chains have launched dedicated shopping hours for the NHS, plus elderly and vulnerable customers to buy the essentials they need during the coronavirus crisis.

Here's a round-up of what supermarkets are doing to help:

ASDA
Opening hours for all customers: Asda have temporarily reduced the normal opening hours of most stores to 8am to 8pm from Monday to Saturday to ensure staff can clean and fully re-stock our shelves ready for customers.

NHS workers: Asda are prioritising NHS workers in larger stores every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8am to 9am.

TESCO
Elderly and vulnerable people: All Tesco stores (except Express stores) will be prioritising the elderly and most vulnerable for one hour between 9am and 10am every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

NHS workers: Tesco has introduced a special hour in their large stores for NHS workers one hour before the usual store opening time every Sunday, and will be able to browse the store and select their shopping before the checkouts open.  All Tesco ask is that they bring a form of ID with them to store, such as an NHS staff card.

SAINSBURY'S
Opening hours for all customers: On Monday, March 23, Sainsbury's changed the opening hours of all their supermarkets to 8am until 8pm from Monday to Saturday. With the exception of some stores in Scotland, Sunday opening hours will stay the same. Sainsbury’s Local and petrol station hours will stay the same.

Elderly and vulnerable people: Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, all Sainsbury's supermarkets will dedicate 8am until 9am to serving elderly customers, disabled customers and carers.

NHS workers: NHS and social care workers will be able to shop in Sainsbury's supermarkets for half an hour before they open, from Monday to Saturday. Anyone with NHS ID will be able to shop from 7.30am until 8.00am on these days.

MORRISONS
NHS workers: Morrisons have an NHS hour at all their stores every day - taking place Monday to Saturday from 7am to 8am.

ALDI
Opening hours for all customers: From Monday to Saturday, the German supermarket chain will be open between 8am and 8pm. Sunday opening hours remain the same - 10am to 4pm (or 6pm in Scotland).

LIDL
Elderly and vulnerable people: The supermarket is opening an hour earlier than usual in order to let elderly customers do their shopping.

ICELAND
Elderly and vulnerable people: Iceland will open its supermarkets early for elderly customers to visit before stores open to the public. Each day, elderly shoppers can now visit between 8am - 9am to get their shopping first.

NHS workers: The final hour of trading Monday to Saturday will also be for NHS staff only.

M&S
NHS and emergency service workers: M&S announced it will give the first hour of every Tuesday and Friday morning to NHS and emergency service workers.

WAITROSE
Elderly and vulnerable people: Waitrose have a prioritised and dedicated shopping hour every day. This is the first opening hour of the shop.

CO-OP
NHS workers plus elderly and vulnerable people: All Co-op stores have a dedicated shopping hour for our vulnerable customers, those that care for them and NHS workers.

This takes place from 8am to 9am Monday to Saturday and from 10am to 11am on Sundays in all Co-op stores.    ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 06:33:16 pm »
Hope this is allowed as I'm not sure if it is classed as advertising. A friend called today to tell me she had had a box of fruit & veg delivered & it's all excellent quality, but had had to wait for 4 days. I had been trying all weekend to place an order with no luck but as they had been overwhelmed, they had to suspend new orders for a while. They have started taking orders again this afternoon so if anyone wants a box delivered it M Hughes & Sons, Llandudno.

That's a good family business Meleri      ;)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 10:19:53 am »
Boots, B&M, Wilko, Home Bargains and every other shop still open during the coronavirus lockdown
It's not just the likes of Tesco, Asda and Aldi that are exempt from the Government ban - the full list of stores that will remain open during the lockdown might surprise you

List of businesses classed as "essential" and therefore are allowed to stay open may be longer than you first thought.

These include: food retailers, pharmacies, hardware stores, corner shops, petrol stations, shops in hospitalsl, post offices, banks, newsagents, laundrettes and pet shops.

So you should be able to get everything you need over the coming months, although it is important to note that shopping trips should be as infrequent as possible and should only be done by a single member of a household.

And with this in mind, here are all the shops open in North Wales at the moment.      cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/boots-bm-wilko-home-bargains-17979573

Offline Dave

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 11:30:43 am »

it is important to note that shopping trips should be as infrequent as possible and should only be done by a single member of a household.

and it shouldn't be seen as an excuse to leave the house on a regular basis either! Some folk just don't get it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 01:13:40 pm »
Strange home delivery, there I was sitting in the garden enjoying the sun, a bit of squawking above, and this (below) landed at my feet, so even the wildlife have got in on the volunteer delivery service, bit worried about the gravy coming.

Offline Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 01:46:43 pm »
Love it! Aunt Bessie has to be told to clear off is she drops in later though.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 11:20:08 am »
We are finding it increasingly difficult to get food deliveries, which brings up the question of who is considered "Vulnerable" I tried a couple of shops yesterday, advising them that we were Vulnerable, and told they had no slots, and to find volunteers to help, so how do you register as "Vulnerable" simpler in England, fill an online form, but here  https://gov.wales/get-coronavirus-support-extremely-vulnerable-person  we are told People who are extremely vulnerable to coronavirus due to an existing health condition will receive a letter from Wales’ Chief Medical Officer., but that depends if you are on the vulnerable list, and as yet no letter.

A couple of todays stories

10:26am
Asda to help highly vulnerable 'get what they need'

Asda said it will be using the Government's data on people vulnerable to coronavirus to help them get the supplies they need.

A spokesman said the supermarket is "working with Government and some of our fellow supermarkets to ensure those people who have been identified as highly vulnerable get what they need and are protected from Covid-19".

He added: "We have a dedicated team who will work with Government on the available data to support as many extremely vulnerable people as we can - whilst also continuing to ensure our stores are stocked and our deliveries are moving for millions of customers nationwide.

A leading charity says it is "vital" that older people in Wales are able to sign up for the priority food delivery services with supermarkets.

Age Cymru said many older people had reported waiting for up to three weeks for a delivery while others simply could not register.

"Systems must be put in place to enable the supermarkets to verify who exactly needs to be given priority in Wales," said chief executive Victoria Lloyd.

“We'll be urging the appropriate authorities to work with the retail sector to make sure vulnerable people are not worried about how they will feed themselves over the coming weeks.”

8:46am
'Healthy people' should be using stores, not online slots - Iceland boss

The managing director of Iceland supermarket said "healthy people" should be using stores to free up delivery slots for the elderly and the vulnerable.

Richard Walker told BBC's Today programme: "I'd actually urge the opposite of the Prime Minister, in that if you are healthy, not in a vulnerable category and adhere to social distancing guidelines, please do shop in store, but make sure you shop responsibly."

He added: "That will enhance priority online for those who need it most."

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 01:05:35 pm »
With all the goodwill going on around us now, unfortunately we still have the scum amongst us

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conman-offered-go-shopping-self-17986718

Offline SteveH

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 02:29:13 pm »
In conjunction with my earlier post today, I remember reading this headline... Tesco imposes 80-item limit for online shoppers .. did not think much about it, until now, reading it again, no wonder we are in trouble, 80 items, I counted an old receipt of ours after a fairly hefty shop, 53 items, so I think that a limit of 80 is absolutely XXXXXXX ridiculous.......... is it just me ?

11:12am
Tesco imposes 80-item limit for online shoppers

Tesco has limited its online shoppers to a maximum of 80 items per order.

A spokesman for the supermarket said: "We know that it's difficult to get a delivery slot for online shopping at the moment due to high demand, and we ask those who are able to safely come to stores to do so, instead of shopping online, so that we can start to free up more slots for the more vulnerable.

"We're looking at every opportunity to increase the number of slots available and by introducing a limit of 80 items per online order we'll be able to get more orders on to each van, helping us to ensure all customers can get the essentials they need."   ref Pioneer

Supermarkets in Conwy county will not have to abide by Sunday trading laws during the coronavirus crisis.

Conwy County Borough Council leader Cllr Sam Rowlands said they won't be enforcing the normal Sunday rules - which restrict large stores to only open for a six hour period between the hours of 10am and 6pm.

Currently some supermarkets are allowing doctors, nurses and all other essential workers into their stores to shop from 9am on a Sunday, before they open to the public at 10am.   ref DP