Author Topic: Covid restrictions enforcement  (Read 87451 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Covid restrictions enforcement
« Reply #240 on: July 03, 2020, 01:37:34 pm »
Thanks Blongb  it is always good to check things out.     At least they were legally on the road even if if they were ignorant of the laws in Wales.
They should have waited until next week and then it will be legal

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: July 03, 2020, 03:36:08 pm »
Indeed, but the over-70s are still being cautioned about remaining somewhat more inside then perhaps they would usually.

What will be very interesting to see is whether we repeat what's happening elsewhere; a sudden rise in cases. Certainly not the time to throw caution to the wind.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2020, 04:36:36 pm »
Indeed, but the over-70s are still being cautioned about remaining somewhat more inside then perhaps they would usually.
What will be very interesting to see is whether we repeat what's happening elsewhere; a sudden rise in cases. Certainly not the time to throw caution to the wind.

I have not been outside of the property since the 13th Mar, and will be waiting to see what happens, call me Mr Caution, but I would prefer to see a vaccine solution available, before throwing it to the wind.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2020, 04:46:12 pm »
The majority of over 70,s that I know have been sensible over the lockdown and will probably continue to stay as safe as possible.
The English government has adopted a more gung ho approach and I hope that it does not backfire on them and the other nations of the UK.
The Welsh FM and the Scottish one rightly described the situation with Westminster as symbolic

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2020, 05:42:05 pm »
I have not been outside of the property since the 13th Mar, and will be waiting to see what happens, call me Mr Caution, but I would prefer to see a vaccine solution available, before throwing it to the wind.

It's starting to look as though they should be able to develop a vaccine. As of today, there are 124 potential vaccines in development, with 10 being trialled in people. The Lancet's snappily titled "Safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of a recombinant adenovirus type-5 vectored COVID-19 vaccine: a dose-escalation, open-label, non-randomised, first-in-human trial" looked at the first trial in Wuhan,

Vaccines do not always confer long-lasting immunity; many have to be repeated on an annual basis, but that would be no great problem and could be delivered along with the annual 'flu shot. However, one reason why there's no vaccine for the common cold, which is a coronavirus, is that coronaviruses typically resist vaccines.

Time will tell, however, and some early results are encouraging. Th UK will just have to ensure it follows Trump's technique of buying up all the vaccine before the US can get their grubby little mits on it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Dave

« Reply #245 on: July 03, 2020, 06:16:56 pm »
The majority of over 70,s that I know have been sensible over the lockdown and will probably continue to stay as safe as possible.
The English government has adopted a more gung ho approach and I hope that it does not backfire on them and the other nations of the UK.
The Welsh FM and the Scottish one rightly described the situation with Westminster as symbolic

symbolic=shambolic I think.

Offline Dave

« Reply #246 on: July 03, 2020, 06:25:23 pm »

To be honest I think you are being totally OTT Steve. Keep away from other people as much as possible which is actually very easy if you pick your spots, and stay outside and you have little to fear in my opinion.If you have to touch anything like a gate use hand sanitiser. Life is too short to waste it locked away, get out and about in the fresh air. I think that although it shouldn't be just ignored as there is a real danger, this whole Corvid thread has made a few people paranoid, especially if you are posting gloom figures everyday. That said I actually met someone today who knows of two people who have been infected and survived, one is 76 too.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: July 03, 2020, 06:42:14 pm »
Wonder what the condition of their lungs is?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #248 on: July 03, 2020, 06:59:07 pm »
Wonder what the condition of their lungs is?

Probably better than mine, call me Mr Caution for some time.

Offline DVT

« Reply #249 on: July 03, 2020, 07:20:15 pm »
Having stuck to the rules and being over 70 with a health issue, my wife and I are going to see our new grandson and his brother in Liverpool on Tuesday.  But will stay clear of everyone except daughter and son-in-law.  Won't be in contact with anyone else there and back, although will have to put fuel in beforehand, so will pick a quiet time at the garage sometime over the weekend (it is well within the 5 mile limit).

Enough is enough now, but I do think we're in for a second wave - news from London today is that the R rate has gone over 1 ... I wonder if anyone is honest enough to suggest the mass gatherings of a couple of weeks ago may have caused it, or will they get slammed down for suggesting such a thing.

Offline Dave

« Reply #250 on: July 03, 2020, 07:46:52 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me in the least DVT. I have always advocated that we should take full responsibility not only for our own safety but everyone else's too. It's truly tragic that so many don't give a damn but that's life in more than just Corvid-19 restrictions.
Interesting that Scotland might bring in obligatory wearing of face masks in enclosed areas and I have to agree, why not? I just don't understand why we have so many rules that don't make sense to me, yet don't implement those that cost nothing in terms of personal liberty and might help save lives or at least the pressure on the NHS.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2020, 07:50:59 pm »
I hope that you enjoy your long awaited visit to see your Grand children on Tuesday and all you can do is to stay as safe as possible.
I think that you may be correct about a second wave as the incidents in Bournemouth and elsewhere have proved that an element of UK people cannot be trusted to follow rules or guidelines

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #252 on: July 04, 2020, 10:09:22 pm »
 Talking about putting fuel in your car i had the solution by putting a disposable glove on my hand to get hold of the fuel pump. had a senior moment and got ho;d of the pump with the hand that didn't have the glove on. still i live to tell the tale.That was a couple of weeks back, filled up as it was only 99 p a litre it cost £23.78 that's all Iv'e  put in since March and still have 1/2 a tank full. I still hate lock down   :( :(

Offline SteveH

« Reply #253 on: July 05, 2020, 09:58:04 am »
Scenes from last night..........

It is "crystal clear" that drunk people are unable to socially distance, the chair of the Police Federation said as pubs reopened on Saturday.

Ministers had urged caution ahead of hospitality venues reopening in England after three months of lockdown.

John Apter dealt with "naked men, happy drunks, angry drunks, fights and more angry drunks" on shift in Southampton.

But police thanked the majority of people for acting responsibly as they enjoyed the night out.

BBC news report  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53296689

Full BBC TV news video    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XifOv3m5-MQ

Offline SteveH

« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2020, 03:04:00 pm »
A bit of a reminder ..................

How coronavirus spreads outdoors vs. indoors

search Youtube video    How coronavirus spreads outdoors vs. indoors  Vox

direct link     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6QwnzbRUyA