Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 68736 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Covid 19
« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2020, 02:41:22 pm »
Two more stories in conjunction with the previous earlier article...

The UK government has had sufficient time and warning to be prepared for THE second wave, no excuses.

Coronavirus: UK must prepare for second virus wave - health leaders.
Health leaders are calling for an urgent review to determine whether the UK is properly prepared for the "real risk" of a second wave of coronavirus.

In an open letter published in the British Medical Journal, ministers were warned that urgent action would be needed to prevent further loss of life.

The presidents of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons, Nursing, Physicians, and GPs all signed the letter.

Following the announcement, health leaders called for a "rapid and forward-looking assessment" of how prepared the UK would be for a new outbreak.

"While the future shape of the pandemic in the UK is hard to predict, the available evidence indicates that local flare-ups are increasingly likely and a second wave a real risk," they wrote.

"Many elements of the infrastructure needed to contain the virus are beginning to be put in place, but substantial challenges remain."

The authors of the letter, also signed by the chair of the British Medical Association, urged ministers to set up a cross-party group with a "constructive, non-partisan, four nations approach", tasked with developing recommendations.

"The review should not be about looking back or attributing blame," they said, and instead should focus on "areas of weakness where action is needed urgently to prevent further loss of life and restore the economy as fully and as quickly as possible".
cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53159918

Coronavirus: Community oxygen tests 'key to second wave'.

Oxygen levels in suspected coronavirus cases should be monitored in the community to help hospitals cope with a second wave of cases, according to Wales' leading respiratory doctor.

Dr Simon Barry said early on in the pandemic it became clear reduced oxygen levels in the blood suggested a patient had Covid-19.

But flu and pneumonia will be more common in a future winter peak.
This means more community monitoring would be needed, he said.

Dr Barry is leading the implementation of Welsh guidelines to treat the virus, and said work was under way to conduct specific tests before coronavirus patients were admitted to hospital in future.

Most people with coronavirus only have mild symptoms, and sometimes none at all.
But doctors report low blood oxygen saturation levels among those who are admitted to hospital with coronavirus.

Healthy adults usually have saturation levels of between 94% and 99%, whereas those with Covid-19 can fall below 90% and require oxygen therapy and, in some cases, ventilation in intensive care.
cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53136289

Offline SteveH

« Reply #256 on: June 25, 2020, 02:29:07 pm »
This is scary, and will have to be monitored, for example travelers transiting from hot spots via the corridors.

Ministers are due to finalise details of a series of "travel corridors" so people arriving into the UK on certain routes will not need to quarantine.

Most of Western Europe is due to be on an initial list of exempt countries.
The countries expected to be exempt include France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Belgium, Germany, Norway, the Netherlands, Turkey and Finland.

Portugal will probably not be included after a rise in the number of new cases in and around Lisbon.
Sweden is also unlikely to be on the list because the infection rate there is higher than in the UK.

A travel corridor would mean that two people travelling in both directions between two countries would not have to self-isolate after they travel.

The initial list of destinations exempt from the quarantine is expected to take effect early next month. Work is also on-going to see if a travel corridor is possible with Australia.

Full article     https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53177282

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #257 on: June 25, 2020, 03:03:18 pm »
This is scary, and will have to be monitored, for example travelers transiting from hot spots via the corridors.

Ministers are due to finalise details of a series of "travel corridors" so people arriving into the UK on certain routes will not need to quarantine.

Most of Western Europe is due to be on an initial list of exempt countries.
The countries expected to be exempt include France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Belgium, Germany, Norway, the Netherlands, Turkey and Finland.

I hope our Ministers will reappraise that list in light of the reinfection in Gütersloh, such a shame as I have 3 years of happy memories of my stay there back in the 70's
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #258 on: June 28, 2020, 12:31:10 pm »
NEW symptoms of the coronavirus have been added to the list of what to look out for if you suspect having the virus.

The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDCP) have officially added three new symptoms alongside existing ones.

These new symptoms to look out for include:

• Congestion or runny nose

• Nausea or vomiting

• Diarrhoea

The CDCP say people with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. These symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus.

The three new signs also join the existing symptoms of the disease – including a high fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, a new loss of taste or smell and a sore throat.

The news comes after the UK’s death toll from COVID-19 sadly surpassed 43,500 with new infections being confirmed daily, adding to the UK confirmed total of 310,000.

In Wales, as of June 27, there have been a total of 15,577 confirmed cases of the virus reported by local health boards.

Sadly, five new deaths were confirmed in Wales as being linked to the virus which brings the death toll up to 1,502 people at present.
REF Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2020, 10:37:22 am »
This is worrying, I thought our testing system was slow, but there is a possibility it is the people who are scared to get tested, this is important, for the success of lifting restrictions, there are to many cases of people thinking this is over, crowded beaches and gatherings etc. today another factory is reporting cases(Nine workers at the Mini car factory in Oxford have tested positive for coronavirus.) the easing of restrictions is not a licence to return to normal, I think I am more worried now, as it seems a lot people just do not care, and as further food for thought, another headline today........The UK's first full local lockdown has been announced in Leicester, with stricter measures imposed in the city.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53229371   

Staff who have yet to be tested for coronavirus after an outbreak linked to a food processing factory have been urged to "act immediately".

Anglesey council's plea comes after 210 cases have been confirmed among workers at the 2 Sisters plant, in Llangefni.

Meanwhile, Public Health Wales (PWH) said about 300 workers "have not yet presented for testing" at a Wrexham food factory which has had 166 cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53210387

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2020, 10:47:17 am »
Yep;  it's not over, by a long way.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2020, 11:24:54 am »
This is worrying, I thought our testing system was slow, but there is a possibility it is the people who are scared to get tested, this is important, for the success of lifting restrictions, there are to many cases of people thinking this is over, crowded beaches and gatherings etc. today another factory is reporting cases(Nine workers at the Mini car factory in Oxford have tested positive for coronavirus.) the easing of restrictions is not a licence to return to normal, I think I am more worried now, as it seems a lot people just do not care, and as further food for thought, another headline today........The UK's first full local lockdown has been announced in Leicester, with stricter measures imposed in the city.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53229371   

Staff who have yet to be tested for coronavirus after an outbreak linked to a food processing factory have been urged to "act immediately".

Anglesey council's plea comes after 210 cases have been confirmed among workers at the 2 Sisters plant, in Llangefni.

Meanwhile, Public Health Wales (PWH) said about 300 workers "have not yet presented for testing" at a Wrexham food factory which has had 166 cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53210387

I have to amend from the above post....   "there is a possibility it is the people who are scared to get tested"...... I have found out that there are a lot of migrant workers, doing this type of work, and are proving difficult to locate, it makes better sense than people being scared of the test, but how many other overseas workers, who generally live together in cramped conditions, (making it easier to spread the virus), are afraid to come forward and be tested  ?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2020, 10:03:21 am »
Reading this story, made me think of the above post, this could be one of the reasons for the "difficult to locate" statement sadly.

"Police fear slaves have been forced into food and farming jobs during lockdown
Officers think slaves in public-facing industries have been moved after shops shut

We believe that it’s possible that slaves could have been moved from public-facing roles, such as car washes and nail bars, to more hidden sectors such as agriculture and food processing."

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-fear-slaves-been-forced-18520547

Offline SteveH

« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2020, 10:22:25 am »
2 Sisters to reopen Anglesey abattoir hit by Covid outbreak - with 30 extra safety measures in place
The company has told staff everyone now had 'shared responsibility' to keep each other and communities safe

A mass testing programme was carried out by Army run mobile testing units and Public Health Wales confirmed more than 200 workers at the 560 staff plant tested positive for coronavirus.

The firm said 30 additional measures had been introduced - including full ‘opposite’ and ‘side-by-side’ screening, teams managed in 'bubbles', and CCTV surveillance of all potential high traffic areas.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2-sisters-reopen-anglesey-abattoir-18532386

Offline Dave

« Reply #264 on: July 04, 2020, 10:59:15 am »
They can take all the precautions possible in the workplace but makes not a jot of difference if the employees behave differently outside of work. I am told, and it's not fact that I can say is 100% true but sounds very likely, the problem with the 2 Sisters plant is that a large proportion of the workforce are Eastern European migrant workers who car share to work and live in cheek to jowl conditions in rental accommodation to save money to return home.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #265 on: July 07, 2020, 10:00:54 am »
9:15am
This morning's headlines...
Everyone should wear a face covering in public, says Royal Society president

Everyone should wear a face covering in public to reduce the risk of a second wave of Covid-19 infections, the president of the Royal Society has urged.   

Professor Venki Ramakrishnan said people should wear a mask when they leave home – particularly in enclosed indoor spaces – but acknowledged that the public remain “sceptical” about the benefits.

Not wearing them outside the home should be considered as “anti-social” as drink-driving, or failing to wear a seat belt, he said.

It comes as two new reports on face coverings were published by the scientific body, including one which found the UK was slower to take up wearing them compared with other countries.     

https://royalsociety.org/news/2020/07/president-of-the-royal-society-urges-everyone-to-wear-a-face-covering/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: July 07, 2020, 10:23:45 am »
The biggest problem with wearing masks is that while they're not compulsory many people will feel sill wearing one. The UK government needs to make wearing of them mandatory.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: July 07, 2020, 10:45:00 am »
The news continues to improve.  From New Scientist this morning:

"Initial fears that the virus would fail to raise immune memory – the lengthy, sometimes lifelong, protection that we get from exposure to many viruses including measles – look exaggerated. It is still early days, but signs from patients point to a strong and long-lasting immune response.

That is welcome news for two reasons. It makes a vaccine more likely, and means that people who have recovered from the virus almost certainly can’t get it again, at least in the short term.'

Offline Dave

« Reply #268 on: July 07, 2020, 02:08:18 pm »
I have been agreeable to wearing a mask for sometime. I bought supplies of re-usable ones but as yet haven't worn one as I haven't deemed it a risk for the number of times I have been away from the house and indoors at a public place i.e. shopping. I have been strict at self discipline for social distancing too.
Maybe it's time to start a change of habit as we are about to get an influx of people from outside our usual apparent almost corvid free zone.
Tom Hanks summed it up well in an interview
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53318653

I have been advocating it should be mandatory from the outset, it's not just about self protection but protecting others from yourself too.
Latest testing results apparently show 80% of those tested show no symptoms, which again backs up my thoughts of where are all the local corvid sufferers.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #269 on: July 08, 2020, 02:13:30 pm »
This story appeared on the BBC Wales news today about prisoners possibly rioting because of the lockdown.      My immediate thoughts were with the understaffed prison officers and the thousands of innocent people in the UK who are still shielding because of this virus.
The old saying "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime"  seems to be relevant in this case

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53323771