Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 69592 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Covid 19
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2020, 08:40:52 pm »
If any of us displayed symptoms of the coronavirus, we would have to go into quarantine so why does. Prince Charles only have to go into self-isolation? 😆

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52088684

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2020, 11:04:56 am »
As of this morning the WHO notifications reveal the UK has 22,465 cases confirmed in hospitals and 1412 deaths.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Covid 19........VENUE Cymru location of a temporary hospital
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2020, 06:35:26 pm »
VENUE Cymru will become the first location of a temporary hospital in North Wales.

The theatre, conference centre and arena in Llandudno will provide an additional 350 beds to support Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board’s response to COVID-19.

Venue Cymru will provide hospital beds for patients with respiratory complaints as a result of the symptoms of COVID-19.

The temporary hospital will work alongside the existing capacity available at Llandudno Hospital.

Mark Wilkinson, executive director of planning and performance, said: “The development of temporary hospitals is an important step in our efforts to respond to the challenge COVID-19 presents.

“We’re grateful for the support we’re receiving from all of our partners across North Wales in identifying and assessing potential locations for similar sites.

“Conwy Council have provided fantastic support in reaching this stage, and over the coming days we will continue to finalise details on how we will transform Venue Cymru into a temporary working hospital.”

Cllr Sam Rowlands, Leader of Conwy County Borough Council, said: “We’re eager to do all we can to support our partners at this challenging time, and Venue Cymru was deemed a suitable choice because it offers sufficient space and infrastructure.

“Some of our services have temporarily closed and many of our staff have been redeployed to focus on our priority services, which we want to keep delivering for as long as possible.

"Repurposing buildings such as Venue Cymru is a key way we can help support the response effort in North Wales.”

Elsewhere, an additional 80 beds are in development at Glan Clwyd Hospital, using void space left as part of the hospital’s recent redevelopment, which would be ready to use at the end of April.

Details of further temporary hospital locations will be shared in the coming days.       REF Pioneer

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2020, 09:40:49 am »
Now the disease has taken a 13 year-old boy's life.  And it hasn't yet peaked.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2020, 02:22:17 pm »
The Hunt for Patient Zero in Covid—19 has suggested that the original source of the outbreak was not the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, China, in December, and now researchers are trying to identify the real source of the infection.

In fact, documents have suggested the earliest case of covid-19 may have been a 55-year-old person from Hubei province who seems to have contracted the virus on 17 November.

The first cases to be flagged, in December, were reported by Wuhan doctors using a surveillance protocol designed to pick up pneumonias with unknown causes. The system was set up after the 2002-2003 SARS outbreak, to detect new viruses.

Following this, New Scientist understands that early efforts by Chinese authorities to identify covid-19 cases focused only on people with viral pneumonia who had traceable links or contact with the Huanan market.

This focus on pneumonia may mean that many milder early cases were missed. By December, infections had probably already spread outside Wuhan. A study of six children who contracted the covid-19 virus identified a girl who developed symptoms on 2 January (NEJM, doi.org/ggpxpr). She and her family live in Yangxin, more than 150 kilometres from Wuhan. None of them had travelled outside the county for a month before she became ill, and the researchers weren’t able to identify how she became infected.

One explanation for this could be that the virus has jumped into humans from animals several times. Bats are thought to be the reservoir of the covid-19 virus but a more probable scenario is that other animals may have acted as intermediaries, amplifying the virus and enabling it to infect multiple humans in a method of trial and error.

Identifying the source of the outbreak is crucial, given that three coronaviruses – the SARS, MERS and covid-19 viruses – have all emerged since 2002. “In evolutionary terms, that’s in microseconds,” says Richard Kock at the Royal Veterinary College in London. “The risk of these things happening has enormously accelerated. We have to get a grip on that.”

Offline SteveH

« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2020, 02:52:06 pm »
Agreed, especially the last comment...   “The risk of these things happening has enormously accelerated. We have to get a grip on that.”

I think Asia was/is better prepared for testing and dealing with this type of situation, the West is now paying the cost for it's lack of foresight, hopeful in future we will make changes and be ready.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2020, 03:01:36 pm »
When everything has died down and the fear of this pandemic has gone the UK  Government must learn from its past mistakes.      We need a  fully staffed and resourced NHS as well as a fully staffed Police Force
As for Asia then it needs to get to grips on this and similar things that have been started in that continent

Offline SteveH

« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2020, 10:34:20 am »
People in Wales can now get video appointments with their GPs
Every GP practice in Wales can now access a new system allowing patients to have online appointments

As well as helping people to keep to the stay-at-home rules, the new system will allow doctors and nurses who are self-isolating, but willing and able to work, to continue doing so.

Wales' health minister Vaughan Gething said: "Innovations such as this enables government to help frontline staff keep people safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. It also means another layer of protection for NHS staff.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/people-wales-can-now-video-18026506

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2020, 02:23:24 pm »
For anyone who has purchased the Virustatic Shield Snood I received mine today. They were sent from Parc Caer Seion which is situated on the Morfa just outside Conwy. Had a bit of a shock when I saw them as they looked very small, but had a Large label on the packaging. Quite difficult to get on but I would advise you give them a good tug to make them bigger before attempting to pull over your head.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2020, 02:39:10 pm »
For anyone who has purchased the Virustatic Shield Snood I received mine today. They were sent from Parc Caer Seion which is situated on the Morfa just outside Conwy. Had a bit of a shock when I saw them as they looked very small, but had a Large label on the packaging. Quite difficult to get on but I would advise you give them a good tug to make them bigger before attempting to pull over your head.

Thanks for the tip. I will open one to start, and see what it is like, bit disappointing though, if it restricts the ability to breath properly.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2020, 02:57:47 pm »
No it doesn't restrict the ability to breath once on Steve & is very comfortable, just a bit of a struggle to get over the head. I wondered if they had sent me a small or medium in the large packaging by mistake to begin with, but with a good tug beforehand it helps. Don't forget to wear glasses, as the virus can snick in that way too. Please let us know how you get on with them.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2020, 04:20:04 pm »
No it doesn't restrict the ability to breath once on Steve & is very comfortable, just a bit of a struggle to get over the head. I wondered if they had sent me a small or medium in the large packaging by mistake to begin with, but with a good tug beforehand it helps. Don't forget to wear glasses, as the virus can snick in that way too. Please let us know how you get on with them.

Thank you M., Ours will not get an airing for some time, but I wanted something better than a mask when the time came, as for the glasses, I understand what you are saying, I personally would have every available bit of kit going, I think it is ludicrous and criminal that those working in close quarters with the public are not being supplied with the appropriate equipment, determined by the severity of their situation.

I read this earlier........
Should more of us wear face masks to help slow the spread of coronavirus?.........My opinion  THAT'S EASY IF IN DOUBT ...........

This question is to be assessed by a panel of advisers to the World Health Organization (WHO).

The group will weigh up research on whether the virus can be projected further than previously thought; a study in the US suggests coughs can reach 6m and sneezes up to 8m.

The panel's chair, Prof David Heymann, told BBC News that the new research may lead to a shift in advice about masks.

The former director at the WHO explained: "The WHO is opening up its discussion again looking at the new evidence to see whether or not there should be a change in the way it's recommending masks should be used."

cont.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52126735

Offline Hugo

« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2020, 04:52:30 pm »

Thanks for the tip. I will open one to start, and see what it is like, bit disappointing though, if it restricts the ability to breath properly.

My two snoods came today and they are a very tight fit even though they were the adult size.   Mrs H tried hers on and it was difficult to pull over the head and very  tight and uncomfortable across the nose.
I didn't even try mine on as I've just had operations for skin cancer on my head and ear so there was no way I'd try it on after Mrs H's experience.
I do have an idea on how to adapt the snood to fit me but in the meantime if I need one then  I'll use the fleece snood I bought for my dog after he had an operation on his neck.     It cost £3.00 plus so it was money well spend

Offline SteveH

« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2020, 05:23:56 pm »
Hugo, I found the same thing, but going by Meleri's advice it does get easier, I also checked the web site again, and found the FAQ page.

"Virustatic Shield is manufactured to the highest standards from natural fibre materials to allow the coating to impregnate the fibres. Prolonged wear without washing may result in the fabric becoming loose. Tightening with a clip will support repeated wear and hand .
washing will help restore its original shape and fit.

"You can wear the shield for up to 50 hours before having to wash it. You do not have to wash the shield after each wear but you should wash more frequently if the fabric becomes dirty."

We recommend a maximum of three hand washes in warm water without detergent. Our recommendation is conservative and is based on testing and an analysis of the available science. Washing will restore its original shape and fit after prolonged use. You can wear the shield for up to 50 hours before having to wash it.
https://www.virustaticshield.com/faqs/

Offline Meleri

« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2020, 01:10:36 pm »
I had to go out for the first time in 14 days for Mr M's medication this morning & wore the snood. I have been giving it a good stretch daily & it has loosened off, so is now comfortable & didn't slip at all. The only problem I found was when wearing glasses they steam up when you go indoors, perhaps once the weather gets warmer there won't be that problem.