Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 69494 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Covid 19
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 10:16:27 am »
What puzzles me is that there are antiviral drugs available but so far there has been no mention of them. I don't know whether they work on Covid 19 but because of my health conditions I have always been told to take Relenza if I feel have the flu coming on. Would this work on Covid 19?

These are the antiviral drugs listed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antiviral_drugs

Helig

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 10:50:48 am »
The Japanese are currently testing a number of those to see what effect, if any, they have. AV drugs are very specific, unfortunately.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 10:56:04 am »
From New Scientist today:

Updated, 5 March: The UK government has now said it will continue to provide daily updates on new coronavirus infections, but it will delay the release of information by 24 hours to allow time for it to be verified.

The full details of new coronavirus infections in the UK will now be released only once a week. While the number of new cases will be published on a daily basis, the location of these cases will only be reported on a Friday.

Due to the steep rise in the number of new cases – which reached 85 on 4 March – the Department of Health and Social Care says it is “unrealistic” to continue publishing this information on a more regular basis.

The announcement – made via Twitter – was met with anger and concern, with some Twitter users declaring that they will stay at home and keep their children out of school.

“I would hope to see more regular updates,” says Devi Sridhar at the University of Edinburgh, UK. “If we see [a rapid increase in cases] then once a week is not enough.”

Sridhar points out the contrast with the World Health Organization’s approach to public information. Ever since the WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, a committee has held daily briefings, sharing the latest developments and taking questions from journalists. “Each day there is so much new information that needs to be shared,” says Sridhar.

Limiting information isn’t going to help public anxiety surrounding the virus, either, says Sridhar. But she says that, as things stand, individuals are unlikely to be affected by not knowing where cases are being reported.

The people at the greatest risk of becoming infected with the virus are those who have been in close contact with someone who already has it. If you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for the virus, it is likely that health officials will get in touch with you, says Sridhar.

The UK’s approach stands in stark contrast to that taken by the government of Singapore. The country’s Ministry of Health regularly updates details on new cases of the virus – down to the home address of each person who has tested positive.

“What Singapore is doing is a real breach of people’s privacy,” says Sridhar. The approach is likely to leave some people reluctant to report having symptoms, which could hamper efforts to track and limit the virus’s spread.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 10:56:27 am »
These companies who make sanitizing gel must be rubbing their hands! 😳

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 10:57:06 am »
What puzzles me is that there are antiviral drugs available but so far there has been no mention of them. I don't know whether they work on Covid 19 but because of my health conditions I have always been told to take Relenza if I feel have the flu coming on. Would this work on Covid 19?
These are the antiviral drugs listed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antiviral_drugs
Helig

Looking at old information, (2014) there was not a lot of confidence in these treatments..............

"The government has wasted half a billion pounds stockpiling two anti-flu drugs that have not been proved to stop the spread of infection or to prevent people becoming seriously ill, according to a team of scientists who have analysed the full clinical trials data, obtained after a four-year fight.

The government has spent £424m buying stocks of Tamiflu and £136m on Relenza in case of a flu pandemic. During the swine flu outbreak of 2009, the World Health Organisation recommended that all countries should stock up on supplies."

Check out other links within this article....  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/10/uk-wasted-560m-stockpiling-flu-drugs

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 02:22:12 pm »
It's also worth remembering that the NHS ICU and critical care facilities are now ranked 23rd out of 31 countries, and for hospital beds we're now almost the bottom. This is entirely because of Tory cuts to services, with the Tories confident that most people won't actually notice the effect of cuts in services because they don't use them. They may well start noticing them soon.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 05:32:33 pm »
Local GP Dr Mike Bloom from the Lonfa Practise in Llandudno Junction has blasted Public Health Wales for refusing to tell him whether a patient at his surgery tested positive for the Coronavirus.
The Practice was shut after a patient visited & PHW asked that the surgery be given a deep clean.
Dr Bloom stated although the patient in question was tested PHW refused to tell him whether the person has the virus. The patient had just returned from a skiing trip in Italy & was displaying Coronavirus symptoms.
PHW was approached for a comment & Dr Frank Atherton Wales Chief Medical Officer said " All appropriate measures to provide care for the individual & to reduce the risk of transmission to others are being taken".

Offline SteveH

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2020, 06:08:08 pm »
Local GP Dr Mike Bloom from the Lonfa Practise in Llandudno Junction has blasted Public Health Wales for refusing to tell him whether a patient at his surgery tested positive for the Coronavirus.
The Practice was shut after a patient visited & PHW asked that the surgery be given a deep clean.
Dr Bloom stated although the patient in question was tested PHW refused to tell him whether the person has the virus. The patient had just returned from a skiing trip in Italy & was displaying Coronavirus symptoms.
PHW was approached for a comment & Dr Frank Atherton Wales Chief Medical Officer said " All appropriate measures to provide care for the individual & to reduce the risk of transmission to others are being taken".

Meleri, I read this story earlier, and a little while later read the one below...... fills you with confidence :-\

Cardiff surgery placed on lockdown after patient walks in with suspected coronavirus     (he did not walk in they made him an appointment)
The surgery said it had been 'lost in translation' that the patient had recently returned from Iran, which has the fourth most confirmed cases of the virus in the world.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/cardiff-surgery-placed-lockdown-after-17871913

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2020, 06:40:22 pm »
It's a good job all pandemics eventually run out of steam and simply stop.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 01:36:05 pm »
That's an interesting link Steve. Surely the man in question must have suspected he could have Coronavirus, how selfish of him. As for the receptionist, words fail me, it takes seconds to ask the patient if they have been abroad recently & this question should be common practise in times like these.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2020, 02:37:41 pm »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2020, 03:18:07 pm »
A superb explanation of just why soap is the very best thing to use when washing hands to destroy the virus.

Good to know............................   self-assembled nanoparticle's are the worst.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 04:36:02 pm »
This Coronavirus is creating a lot of panic and uncertainty in all aspects of everyday life and it will start having an effect of people having holidays, especially those going abroad
A friend of mine booked a holiday to Puglia in Southern Italy and paid the deposit ages ago and the final payment was due last Friday but as I haven't seen my friend since then I don't know whether they paid the final payment or cancelled the holiday instead.
It would have been a difficult decision to make and if it was me I don't know what I would have done in those circumstances

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 06:35:04 pm »
I suspect going to Italy at the moment would be rather unwise.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2020, 09:54:43 pm »
If anyone gets an email saying that tinned meat can give you coronavirus;

…...delete it!
It's probably just spam.