The Local > Covid-19

Covid 19

(1/112) > >>

SteveH:
I am not sure if the government are playing it down, but there is more and more mention of the Coronavirus, I have been concerned since it first appeared, as I am in the high risk group, various stories today increase my concern, are we doing enough to educate the public ? , I had an appointment this morning at 11am, with someone who returned from North Africa on Monday, which was cancelled, earlier due to sickness, guess who's getting paranoid now ?

Coronavirus: Hundreds of flu patients to be tested by UK hospitals and GPs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51641243

Experts warned there was "little in the tank" to cope with the coronavirus.
There is mounting concern that the spread of the virus will lead to a pandemic with mass outbreaks in the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51565492

Or just go to the BBC Health page  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health

Boots rations hand gels as people panic buy sanitisers over coronavirus fears
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/25/boots-rations-hand-gels-people-panic-buy-sanitisers-coronavirus-fears-12298288/

Ian:
Well, Covid 19 is very infectious, with a long incubation period prior to the patient becoming symptomatic, which is why it's spreading so easily.  However, looking at death rates they're significantly lower at the moment than the annual 'flu round.

It tends to kill through Pneumonia, and the thing about Pneumonia is that lying in bed tends to be the worst thing you can do. Sitting up with hot drinks and a whisky toddy tends to be the best course of action.  And the GP will give you a pneumonia jab if you ask.  Free for the over 65s. 

Hugo:

--- Quote from: Ian on February 26, 2020, 11:11:40 am ---
It tends to kill through Pneumonia, and the thing about Pneumonia is that lying in bed tends to be the worst thing you can do. Sitting up with hot drinks and a whisky toddy tends to be the best course of action

--- End quote ---

I'll drink to that      $drink$         

SteveH:

--- Quote from: Ian on February 26, 2020, 11:11:40 am ---Well, Covid 19 is very infectious, with a long incubation period prior to the patient becoming symptomatic, which is why it's spreading so easily.  However, looking at death rates they're significantly lower at the moment than the annual 'flu round.

It tends to kill through Pneumonia, and the thing about Pneumonia is that lying in bed tends to be the worst thing you can do. Sitting up with hot drinks and a whisky toddy tends to be the best course of action.  And the GP will give you a pneumonia jab if you ask.  Free for the over 65s.

--- End quote ---

I am still going to take precautions.........

Ian:
Here's the very latest about Covid-19, direct from New Scientist.  It should allay a lot of fears folk might have:

1. How bad is the infection?

More than 80 per cent of people infected develop only mild symptoms, such as a fever and a cough. Only around 1 in 100 people die – those who do are usually older and have existing health problems, such as heart disease or diabetes. No deaths have been reported in children under 9 years old.

2. How do people catch it?

The virus is thought to be transmitted by droplets emitted when people sneeze, cough or even just talk, says David Heymann at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who led the global efforts to contain SARS. If you are within 2 or 3 metres of an infected person, you can breathe in those droplets directly. The longer you are near them, the greater the risk.

Surfaces can be contaminated by falling droplets, or by people coughing into their hand before pressing a button, say. If you touch a contaminated surface and then touch your eyes, nose or face, you can become infected. Faeces from infected people might also be infectious.

3. How can I avoid catching it?

You can minimise your risk of catching the coronavirus through “social distancing” and good hygiene. Move at least a metre away from anyone who appears ill if you can. Don’t shake hands, hug or kiss people as a greeting. Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use an alcohol hand rub, especially after touching surfaces that might be contaminated.

The World Health Organization (WHO) says there is no need for healthy people to wear face masks. It also says there is no evidence that pets can get and spread covid-19, or that the virus can be passed on via letters, packages or food.

4. How can I protect myself?

It is being claimed all kinds of things can protect you from the covid-19 virus, from vitamins to garlic. There is no evidence to support most of these claims. However, there is evidence that moderate exercise, adequate sleep and a healthy diet help keep your immune system in shape generally.

We don’t know if smoking increases the risk of people with covid-19 becoming severely ill because China hasn’t been reporting if infected people are smokers, but previous studies have shown that smoking increases the risk of being hospitalised if you get flu. Now is a great time to go on a health kick.

It might also be worth booking yourself in for the flu and pneumococcal vaccines, which are already recommended for people over the age of 65 in the UK. These vaccines won’t prevent infection with the covid-19 virus, but by protecting you from other infections they will help ease the burden on health services.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version