Author Topic: Hughes Family - Llandudno  (Read 22416 times)

Offline CFR

Re: Hughes Family - Llandudno
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 05:33:34 pm »
Hi all, thanks for your help!!

I had a heads up for some help, saying that the Hughes I were looking for were buried together in the cemetery on the Orme, so i found the grave - how exciting!

Ive now found out that my grandmothers parents were called William Hughes (1880 - 1933) and Sarah Hughes (nee Jones) (1881 - 1957). Both born and married in Llandudno (in 1899). I think all this information is correct - especially locations, as I have looked at the 1901 and the 1911 census'.

In 1901 They lived in 9 Pen Y Ffrith Terrace Gt Orme, Llandudno. And although I know from the 1911 Census that they would have had children by then - they are not listed.

In 1911 they lived in 8 Pen y Ffrith Terrace, Gt Orme. They had the following children - Maggie (12), George (10), Gladys (10), Sarah Ann (8), Lily (6) and Edith (3). My grandmother was not born until 1920 (Dilys) and I know that they had another son, who we called Jack (after 1911), but cant find his birth record anywhere.

William Hughes worked as a brick layer and labourer for Mostyn Estates.

I am surprised as on the 1911 census it says that both Sarah and William and the children all spoke English and Welsh - although my Grandmother, their youngest child born in 1920 did not.

I think my next sept now is to get the birth and marriage certificates for Sarah and William - then I can try and go back even further. to their parents.
I think I might go to the archives and look up any building work and school indexes.

Does anyone know if I can find where this family lived after 1920? I would be interested as my Grandmother wasnt born at the time of the 1911 census.

Does anyone think that I can get these certificates for free anywhere - Its not like I actually want to keep them - just to look at the details and take down the information.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 06:27:32 pm »
The 1929 directory has Wm Hughes labourer living at   9 Penyffrith, Great Ormes Head.

With regard to the certificates, it is possible to see the originals, depending on where they are kept. Someone once very kindly photographed an original for me at the Liverpool Records Office at no cost to myself.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 10:55:19 pm »
Pen-y-Frith, on the Orme. 2up and2 down Cottages, with all those children! And they think it's hard now ?
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 12:13:24 am »
The foundation stone for the new housing scheme Kings road was laid in 1920 by Lady Lloyd George,  no doubt the living conditions were a great improvement  for the families who moved in.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 07:27:01 pm »
 _))*Yeah. Wonderful. One bedroom; a coldwater tap above the sink in the tiny kitchen; an outside toilet in the back yard next to the coalhouse.

Still, an improvement on a communal pit privy and a stream down the hill!
Micox

Offline Trojan

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 10:00:30 pm »
The foundation stone for the new housing scheme Kings road was laid in 1920 by Lady Lloyd George,  no doubt the living conditions were a great improvement  for the families who moved in.

There's a plaque on the wall of 35 Kings Road with the inscription: "Llandudno housing scheme 1920. This stone was laid by Mrs. D. Lloyd George, the wife of the Prime Minister, 8 October 1920.

Here's some footage from Pathe News of the ceremony:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=17526

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 11:42:23 am »
Hi Suepp
Could you please tell me from the 1929 directory if there was a Henry and Elsie Pulling living in one of the houses in Pen Y Ffrith? Thanks

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 06:55:10 pm »
Hi Barbiroli

There is an H. Pulling living at  number 11, Occupation not listed nor in the  alphabetical listings.

There's an F Pulling listed at number 8. Pen-y-Ffrith,a nd  a John Godfrey Pulling  Labourer at 7 Pantyffrith.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 07:26:24 pm »
F. Pulling......would that be Frank? (RIP)

Yorkie

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »
Hi Barbiroli

There is an H. Pulling living at  number 11, Occupation not listed nor in the  alphabetical listings.

There's an F Pulling listed at number 8. Pen-y-Ffrith,a nd  a John Godfrey Pulling  Labourer at 7 Pantyffrith.

There was a Frank Pulling working as Car and Coach Park Supervisor for the old Aberconwy Borough Council.  He retired in 1991 or 2 and passed away a few years after, not sure which year.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 08:39:05 pm »
The Frank Pulling I knew would have been born in the 1930's so possibly his father, frank lived in Clifton Road in the 1960's, nice man

Yorkie

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 08:47:06 pm »
The Frank I mentioned was certainly 60 when he retired so was born about 1930 ish.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 11:23:50 am »
Thanks Suepp, Trojan and Yorkie for the information. Henry and Elsie were my mum and dad, Frank at No.8 was my father`s brother.  I didn`t know till now that Uncle Frank lived at Pen y Ffridd.  The John Godfrey  Pulling at 7, Pant y Ffridd was my grandfather.   Trojan and Yorkie - the Frank you knew was my cousin (Uncle Frank`s son) who, at one time, lived opposite your mum and dad Trojan.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 06:09:27 pm »
There are two other Pullings listed in 1929 - Mrs G Pulling 12 Tyn-y-Coed Terrace, Tyn-y-Coed Road, and W Pulling Fernleigh, 7 Marian Road, Maesdu Road.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 12:10:20 am »
Thanks Suepp, Trojan and Yorkie for the information. Henry and Elsie were my mum and dad, Frank at No.8 was my father`s brother.  I didn`t know till now that Uncle Frank lived at Pen y Ffridd.  The John Godfrey  Pulling at 7, Pant y Ffridd was my grandfather.   Trojan and Yorkie - the Frank you knew was my cousin (Uncle Frank`s son) who, at one time, lived opposite your mum and dad Trojan.

I remember Frank well - nice guy, ex Royal Navy.

He's mentioned in the April 2007 obituary section of Vanguard, the official journal of the Royal Naval Association.

http://www.rna-10-area.net/files/vanguard/VanguardApril07.pdf