Author Topic: The Amazon Kindle  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
The Amazon Kindle
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:31:58 pm »
Fedup with new technology? Tired of bad service, call centres, ripoff premium phone call charges when something goes wrong? Well, here is a story to cheer you up
As some members know, I have just returned from six weeks in India, by myself (apart from about ten million residents LOL). For company, before going out I purchased an Amazon Kindle so that I could get an English newspaper. Worked a treat. In India about three days, unused to wearing practically no clothes, I let the kindle slip out of my shallow shorts pocket and it dropped a couple of feet to the floor. Seemed to be in one piece, but slowly, over a period of about three weeks, the screen became progressively worse and worse until the top half was unreadable. On return to Colwyn Bay, my local computer shop told me the screen was shot and it would cost a mint to repair it---better throw it away and buy another. So, I thought I would get on to Kindle and see if they could help. The first thing was, their service dept. To contact them you can either email,write,phone or quote "Just click this button and WE WILL PHONE YOU. I thought give it a try. TWO SECONDS later my phone rang. It was an Irish lass from a call centre in Cork, Ireland. I could understand every word she said. I told her what had happened, the truth, apart from not mentioning it fell out of my pocket, I put the blaim on clumsy baggage handlers!! She started to take me through the drill; on resetting it but I told her that I had already tried all those remedies many times. O.K. no argument, she asked a few questions to identify me, she knew my address post code credit card last numbers etc immediately. Right, she said, you will receive a brand new replacement by special delivery tomorrow morning. Charge it, switch books, subs etc from the damaged one to the new one, put the damaged one in the box, stick the prepaid label on and put it in the post. No charge. End of story. How about that for service? I just could'nt believe it. Despite complete carelessness on my part, within 15 hours of phoning I was back in action at no cost to me whatsoever. Mike
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:33:41 am by Ian »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: A cheerful message
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:01:35 pm »
Brilliant stuff Mike..... and thats just how it should be.

They'll probably be out of business in 2 months.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:48 pm »
Amazon? I rather doubt it. Of course, the free phone calls and good service----there is business sense to it. Without Kindle you cannot buy their e books, and they dont come cheap Mike

Offline Paddy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:04 am »
Without Kindle you cannot buy their e books, and they dont come cheap Mike

Since i got my Kindle, just after Christmas, I've read 27 books. Twenty of those were free and of the seven I had to pay for the most expensive was 99p!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »
OOhhh! I'm obviously reading the wrong books.  The ones I've looked at, and a few times bought, are mostly around a fiver, saving, they claim, £1 or so off list price. Dick Francis thrillers and that sort of book. Mike

Offline Paddy

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:20:26 pm »
I love thrillers too Mike. If you go to amazon and clock on "Best Sellers" There's a list of free boks as well as paid ones. I've had some great ones from the "free" list.

Yorkie

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:25:48 pm »
OOhhh! I'm obviously reading the wrong books.  The ones I've looked at, and a few times bought, are mostly around a fiver, saving, they claim, £1 or so off list price. Dick Francis thrillers and that sort of book. Mike

Well Dick Francis is quality literature>  Have you read the latest that he wrote with Felix before he died?  And the new one by Felix himself?

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »
I am considering buying a Kindle as a present - I take it you guys would readily recommend a Kindle.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 07:09:57 am »
I am considering buying a Kindle as a present - I take it you guys would readily recommend a Kindle.

I would certainly recommend it Bellringer. I love mine and there are literally thousands og free/cheap books on the Amazon site.

The recipient must have an Amazon account though.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:32:41 am »
Thanks Paddy and also for pointing out about having an account, much appreciated.