Author Topic: Llandudno Jones's - Pwll y Gwichiad and/or Yr Ogof  (Read 18613 times)

Offline KHCYMROCANADA

Re: Llandudno Jones's - Pwll y Gwichiad and/or Yr Ogof
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2020, 12:49:41 pm »
Thank you Helig. Now found it - came up easier when I searched under Bickerstaff.

The age difference in the marriage and census details is still confusing.

The 1926 death at age 70 ties better with the known 1855 baptism.

Offline KHCYMROCANADA

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2020, 01:36:27 pm »
The address quoted on the marriage certificate is 4 Vere Street, Liverpool. The occupants in the 1881 census are Richard Ralph (born Kent ~1837) with his wife Elizabeth (born Bangor ~1847) and her brother Jonathan Jones (born Bangor ~1849).

Helig, this seems to indicate that you have found the correct Joseph - although the difference in stated ages is still confusing.

The varying levels of literacy - and possibly poor English language skills - may contribute to many of the differences in name spellings, birth dates etc. that result in confusing the records?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2020, 05:54:27 pm »

A 4th article has this letter

CX140/1/6
Teitl / Title   LETTER
Ddisgrifiad / Description   William Hughes to his brother and sister [Arthur's parents?]. Gives family news about Harriet [WH's wife] who has been unwell but is recovering. Comments that his brother and sister have been to a lecture by Spinther James on the subject of Hugh James, Pwllygwichiad. It is many years since that house was demolished: he played there many times. WH saw Spinther James's grave at Llanfwrog near Ruthin. Recounts a story about his preaching and says that at his death his assets were shared out between the Pwllygwichiad family. Grandmother got about £50 and WH delivered it to her at Tre'ddol near Aberystwyth. Sends warmest regards to the naturalist.

Endorsed:
NOTE re George Brookes Jones, son of Thomas Jones, miner, Tan-y-rogo, June 1853.

[Welsh]
Dyddiad / Date   1

The letter was apparently written on the 18th Jan 1912 and I am intrigued by the reference to the name Spinther James.     In Glanwydden  James "Spinther" James was the Pastor of the Baptist Chapel for 20 years.   He was also a writer and historian and did lectures too.     However he died on the 5th November 1914 and is buried at the Baptist Cemetery in Glanwydden
It seems strange that there could be two Spinther James' doing the same type of work in the same town

Offline Helig

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2020, 10:47:02 am »
Just a thought but is there any chance that Elizabeth Ralph and Jonathon Jones in the 1881 census were the children of Richard Jones? That would make Elizabeth the sister of Joseph.

The years of birth and place of birth in the census returns tend to be unreliable from my experience

Helig

Offline KHCYMROCANADA

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2020, 01:09:13 am »
Yes, Helig, that is my assumption re Richard Ralph et al.

I know nothing about Spinther Jones - or where/if he fits into the Pwllygwichiad family.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2021, 06:35:07 am »
For over 30 years, I have never been 100% certain that I am a direct descendant of John Jones of Pwllygwichiad.

However, this lockdown allowed me to subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk as well as having my DNA checked out.

As a consequence, I can confirm that me and KHCYMROCANADA are definitely related.

I also have DNA matches with other identified descendants of Peter and Elizabeth Jones.