Author Topic: David Rawling  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
David Rawling
« on: December 06, 2019, 03:23:03 pm »
I was very sad when I found out this week that David Rawling passed away on 3rd November 2019.   David and I grew up in Cwm Place and he was a very good friend and neighbour as were the rest of the Rawling family there.
Among Dave's many hobbies was his love for watching and playing football, we played together in the Llandudno Youth Club team and I've attached a photo of the team after we won the North Wales  YC  final at Penmaenmawr.   Dave is on the far right in the back row.

My thoughts are with Dave's wife and family at this sad time

Offline Bri Roberts

Re: David Rawling
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 06:06:27 pm »
Yes, Hugo. I was also saddened to learn of Dave’s passing.

I was also very disappointed to read how shabbily a local garden centre recently treated Dave’s widow.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/garden-centre-sacked-great-gran-17332258

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 06:54:00 pm »
Hi Hugo I'm very sorry I meant to get in touch with you about Dave, I went to his funeral, it was so funny listening to daves stories, taking a pair of trousers back demanding his money back, he didn't even buy them in that shop 😂 When him & Barbara bought a new bed and demonstrated outside dreams, when his son Gaz played for Wrexham playing down south coaches thought great no Dave to try and coach from the side, but Dave drove all the way down there 😂, I went in his house one day upstairs out came the football memorabilia case hours later Barbara shouts up who have you got up there now, are you staying for tea Norm 😂😂 sadly we have lost another character.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 08:34:33 am »
It was only by reading that article on Wednesday Bri that I found out that Dave had died otherwise I would have been at the funeral to pay my respects to a good friend and former neighbour.
When I was a teenager Dave was working in Marks and Spencers and he got me a seasonal job in the store and later on when I was leaving school he also got me my first full time job working there.
I've many memories of Dave and they are all nice and funny too like Norman has said but here are a few of mine:-
Dave had a Hillman Minx car and he was driving it in Mostyn Street one day and as we were driving past Marks and Spencers  a wheel overtook us and shot off in the direction of Burtons shop.   Dave laughed and said I wonder whose wheel that was but found out 50 yards further on when his car came to a halt and tilted to one side.  Muggins here had to walk 100 yards down the street to get the wheel.

Everyone knew Dave was an avid football fan and he travelled everywhere to see his teams play and used to take his wooden rattle with him on the trips.    When I say rattle, it was the loudest, biggest and heaviest rattle I've ever seen.    On one train trip he got up and swung the rattle around and around until the heavy end came off and shot down the train with everyone ducking to avoid the wooden missile

Another time I was in a car by the Links Hotel when Dave came alongside me and I had to look down at him because he was driving a mini motor bike.   By mini I mean a motor  bike about 15 inches tall and then off he went at speed.  Apparently they were legal at the time and the only other person I've seen driving one was a midget in Abergele and he looked too big for the bike so you can imagine what 6 foot Dave looked like on his.
There are lots of other funny stories too but one thing for certain is that he will have made an impression on those people luckily enough to know him