Author Topic: Nellie Morris, Queen's Avenue. Old Colwyn  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Osian

Nellie Morris, Queen's Avenue. Old Colwyn
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:01:08 pm »
I have received very helpful responses to my post concerning Back of George's Crescent, Llandudno - for which I am truly grateful.  If this Site also includes Old Colwyn as part of its area of interest the, please, may I ask about late Aunt, Nellie Morris, who lived in Queen's Avenue (on the road to Tan Lan)?  She also lived for some time with Menna Hughes in Lynnwood -which is on the Junction of Wynne Avenue and Station Road.  She was Headmistress in Old Colwyn for a number of years.  I'd love to know if any Forum Members knew her or knew of her - as I am trying to place her in my Family Tree.  Thank you.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Nellie Morris, Queen's Avenue. Old Colwyn
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:56:59 am »
Hello Osian,

Is it possible to let us have some idea of when she was born and the year she died? Is Morris her married name? Do you know her maiden name if so? Which school in Old Colwyn was she the headmistress?

Helig

Offline Osian

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 03:51:24 pm »
Thank you, Helig!
Both Nellie Morris and Menna Hughes were respected figures in the area.

From a document I found during one of my visits to the County Archive in Llandudno, I came across a record showing an Elizabeth Ellen Morris living at 'Glyndwr', Queen's Avenue.  I used this to undertake a search on 'Ancetry.uk' and 'Find My Past' and - based on the link with the house name 'Glyndwr' -it provided me with the information that I have for her.  Unfortunately, however, not enough to link her to my Family Tree - as yet!

Auntie Nellie's full name was Elizabeth Ellen Morris. She was born in Liverpool in 1902 and died in Old Colwyn in 1993. She did not marry. Her father was William and her mother was Maria.  She had a brother, also named William.  The 1911 Census return shows the family living in 'Glyndwr', Wellington Road, Old Colwyn (at the bottom of the site once occupied by 'Meredith & Kirham' and where the Superstore is now located). The Census confirms that both she and her brother were indeed born in "Lancashire, Liverpool". It shows her father as born in Bagillt, Flintshire and her mother as born in "Denbighshire, Colwyn". When she moved house to Queen's Avenue she took with the house name of 'Glyndwr'. My memory fails me when I need to recall the school where she taught.  (Perhaps that it was Miss Menna Hughes who was the Headmistress.) In her later years she moved in with Miss Menna Hughes at 'Lynnwood'.  (As you come down Wynne Drive towards the promenade and you reach the junction with Station Road, 'Lynnwood is the large house on the corner - with its back to the sea and frontage towards Station Road.)  I have always called her Auntie Nellie and I stayed at her home in Queen's Avenue during part of the summer holidays. for several years. I visited her regularily at 'Lynnwood' too.

Being now in my 70th year, my memory is not as good as it once was and my mind is full of genuine regret at not having questioned my parents and relatives in more detail when they were alive.  I apologise for the rather lenghty response. Thank you for your time and interest in my post.

Offline Osian

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 05:43:49 pm »
I've remembered one bit of information .... she taught History and Music at the old Central School (then became 'Pendorlan')

Offline BrianP

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 10:20:53 pm »
The 1939 register has Elizabeth Ellen Morris born 3 May1901, occupation school teacher, single, living at Glydwr, with William Morris Widower, born 19 May 1860, retired iron(?) Worker.

Offline Osian

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 09:25:30 am »
I have that document - and ‘Glyndwr’ is the link to Queen’s Avenue. Her mother must have passed away by 1939 - and her brother, William, had moved out of the home.