Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 116119 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Wild flowers
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2012, 11:15:45 pm »
hi blodyn nice to see you back again, glad you enjoyed your trip, i was near your house earlier this week sat on the bench overlooking west shore. The orme seems to be covered in buttercups but they are very short stemmed and i can,t recall seeing them so short before, can you tell me if they are common here and what type they are please, bri.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #226 on: June 30, 2012, 10:10:09 am »
Good to see you back on the forum Blodyn. Your trips sound very interesting. Might there be a good "Room with a view" from Russia?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #227 on: June 30, 2012, 11:46:15 am »
I've not been on the Forum for a while as I've had a few hectic weeks, including two working trips to Russia.  I was driven around quite a lot on those trips and saw some interesting looking wildflowers through the window but didn't manage to get much closer to them than that!   :(

Not been playing "I spy" have you?    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #228 on: June 30, 2012, 02:41:53 pm »
hi blodyn nice to see you back again, glad you enjoyed your trip, i was near your house earlier this week sat on the bench overlooking west shore. The orme seems to be covered in buttercups but they are very short stemmed and i can,t recall seeing them so short before, can you tell me if they are common here and what type they are please, bri.
Nice to have you back Blodyn. Could Snowcap's Buttercups be Rock Roses? Whole areas of the Orme seem to be carpeted in yellow at the moment. I saw lots of them this morning and also alot of Bird's Foot Trefoil. Just peeping through were a number of close flowered blue spikes. Could they have been Speedwells?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #229 on: July 06, 2012, 02:19:39 pm »
If anyone remembers last year a few strange flowers appeared in my garden which were identified as Ivy  Broomrape.
This year they have gone mad and I have at least 2 dozen heads of it so far.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #230 on: July 15, 2012, 01:12:03 pm »
Came across these flowers on a walk we had yesterday.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #231 on: July 15, 2012, 06:07:14 pm »
Only an opinion:-
Some kind of Orchid
Bell Heather
Mallow

Help--Blodyn where are you when we neeed you?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #232 on: July 16, 2012, 04:55:18 pm »
Thanks Nemesis, my friend was taking photos of the Orchid, so I thought that I'd have a go too.  My camera is just a compact one but I know that there is a macro facility there somewhere, if I knew how to find it! ( had the camera over 2 years and not looked at the instruction book yet! ) 
I fiddled about with the camera and after a short delay it went off like a machine gun and started taking photos quickly one after the other.
That one posted is the best of a bad bunch.  Where's Blodyn when you need her?

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #233 on: July 16, 2012, 08:53:11 pm »
Sorry folks, I saw and spoke to Blodyn's mother this afternoon but forgot to ask.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2012, 03:07:32 pm »
Sorry folks, I've been a pretty busy again and when I get on the Forum I always spend longer than I intend, so I've had to stay off for a while!

Snowcap's yellow flowers are the common rockrose, as Nemesis suggested.  I had a look where Snowcap had been and, like much of the Orme at the moment, that area's covered with them.  If you look closely, the petals are more delicate that those of buttercups and look rather papery, as opposed to the waxy flowers of buttercups.  The rockroses open their flowers in the sun, so at the beginning or end of the day or in miserable weather the flowers are likely to be closed. 

Nemesis, it's lovely to see your ivy broomrapes doing so well. 

Nemesis is doing a very good job with the flower ID (you don't need me at all!).  Hugo's first flower is a pyramidal orchid - there are a fair number around at the moment and that's a very nice specimen.  As Nemesis said, the others are bell heather and a mallow. 

Hugo, have you found the macro setting yet? 

My own camera situation has gone from bad to worse and not even the compact camera is working now.  For the moment I'm left with just my smart phone (and as soon as I think I've got the hang of it I get an update which changes things!).  However, here are a few photos from the phone. 

The first two are for Snowcap - common rockroses in the sun and rain. 

The third one is for Nemesis - a spiked speedwell (with a moth for Fester!).

The last one is a pyramidal orchid for Hugo.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2012, 08:49:47 pm »
thank,s for that blodyn and well done Nemesis spot on. Pity the moth was,nt bigger for fester,

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #236 on: July 18, 2012, 10:48:23 am »
Thanks Blodyn-- love your moth-- he/she's beautiful.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #237 on: July 25, 2012, 12:00:50 am »
Here are some of our less showy wildflowers - nettles and docks. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #238 on: July 25, 2012, 12:35:31 am »
Here are some more.

Hedge woundwort and wood sage are from the same family, the labiate family.  On the Great Orme I find hedge woundwort growing in shady places but despite its name wood sage grows happily in the open. 

The tufted vetches seem to be doing very well this year.  This one has a common carder bumblebee foraging on it. 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #239 on: July 25, 2012, 11:41:41 am »
Super pics as usual Blodyn. Thanks