Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 116157 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Wild flowers
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2012, 01:00:27 pm »
If you go down to the woods today
You're sure of a big surprise......................!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2012, 12:06:46 am »
That's lovely, Hollins. 

Travelling up the Conwy Valley yesterday evening, the bluebells by the roadside looked very vivid in colour. 

Offline martin

« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2012, 06:48:25 pm »
I know someone on here will be able to identify the orchid we spotted while on a walk today.  It was some 16" high with two stems about 1/4" in diameter, it was right in the middle of a heap of blackberry bushes.  We looked around the area but it appears that this was the only one that was growing here.  It clearly loves it's micro climate, can anyone give it a name please?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2012, 12:40:18 am »
It looks like a very fine specimen of an early purple orchid.  It's a lovely photo, Martin. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2012, 01:25:08 pm »
Some of the flowers I saw on the Maenan Walk but don't know what they are called.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2012, 02:18:47 pm »
The first one looks like Red Campion to me.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2012, 12:21:51 am »
been sent an e,mail you may enjoy

Clic aquí: La vida de las flores
hope Ive done it right

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2012, 12:24:32 am »
no not worked.sorry

Offline Hugo

« Reply #218 on: June 07, 2012, 08:06:10 pm »
The first photo was by Point Lynas and the second by Mynydd Garthmyn

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #219 on: June 08, 2012, 11:11:57 am »
Thrift and cotton grass???
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline sam

« Reply #220 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:58 pm »
This is a great thread to learn about the local flora...and some excellent pics too! I've recently offered to volunteer for Plantlife to take part in a wildflower count. Thought that maybe some of the members might be interested in taking part too (if they are not in some way already) as there seems to be a lot of interest and knowledge here to be shared. You don't have to have a good knowledge of wild plants (thankfully for me!) just an interest but obviously the more you know the easier and quicker it would be. I have yet to do my walk but when the weather clears up I will have a go and post up what I find.

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/things_to_do/wildflowers_count/

"Many of our more common species of flower can easily be taken for granted, often overlooked while we study rare and endangered species. But common species are important and can be under pressure from problems such as pollution, or they may be doing well because of land management practices. This is why we need to count our more common wildflowers; they are indicators of how healthy our countryside is, and the more counts there are the better.

Wildflowers Count has three different ways to take part. All surveys are done within a 1km square that is selected to be within easy reach of your home. And there is a new list of 99 wildflowers to count. You can choose which survey you would like to take part in, as best suits your interests or experience.

•Wildflowers Path - take a 1km walk through your square, taking note of any of the wildflowers in the Wildflowers Count ID guide (and the type of habitats) along the way.
•Wildflower Plots - the basis of the old Common Plants Survey. We provide you with a small square plot, and a small linear plot, square, within which we ask you to note any of the 99 wildflowers from the guide, along with how abundant they are.
•Become a Super-surveyor! Some volunteers told us that they felt frustrated that they could only record the few wildflowers in the ID Guide, so we have changed things. Those who feel confident enough will be able to identify as many plants as they can. "

Offline Jack

« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2012, 08:11:46 pm »
Inspired by Pendragon's and Hugo's recent walks along the Anglesey Coastal Path I walked the section from Bull Bay to Cemaes and back on Sunday.  I know the first photo is foxgloves, the second sea campion but am unsure of the third; I was thinking Devil's bit scabious but know someone on here will be able to help!

Offline hollins

« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2012, 08:19:05 pm »
Love your photos Jack especially the first one, such a lovely composition.
How long is that section of that walk? Is there a lot of ascent and descent?
Can't help with the name of the flower, sorry. Where's Blodyn?!

Offline Jack

« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »
Love your photos Jack especially the first one, such a lovely composition.
How long is that section of that walk? Is there a lot of ascent and descent?
Can't help with the name of the flower, sorry. Where's Blodyn?!

Hi Hollins, Pendragon has written more about the walk in the walking thread.  It was pretty flat as far as the brickworks although it started to get quite undulating after that towards Cemaes Bay!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »
Jack's third photo certainly looks like a scabious but I don't think it's a devil's bit scabious, which is usually dark purple with a more rounded head. 

I've not been on the Forum for a while as I've had a few hectic weeks, including two working trips to Russia.  I was driven around quite a lot on those trips and saw some interesting looking wildflowers through the window but didn't manage to get much closer to them than that!   :(