Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 116119 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Wild flowers
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2012, 07:40:45 pm »
Nice to see the Bluebells coming out Hollins.   If you get the chance, have that walk to Cadair Ifan Goch and treat yourself to a coffee in Plas Maenan afterwards.        $cofffee$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2012, 08:33:50 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-17805118
This item caught my eye in this morning's news.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #197 on: April 23, 2012, 01:35:58 pm »
Hollins, what nice pictures, you're obviously getting the hang of this close ups lark!  As Hugo says, it's lovely to see the bluebells coming out.

Yorkie, I'm glad your OH pointed out the cowslips.  It sounds a good display and I hope you enjoyed seeing them,

Nemesis, that's an interesting link, thanks for posting it.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »
I took these photos on the Great Orme last Sunday, so I've been a bit slow posting them. 

The spring squills are now in flower and these lovely little blue flowers can be seen dotted about among the grass.  Even the pollen is blue and the flowers are pollinated by insects like the little beetle in the first picture.  The curly, strap lie leaves can also be seen in the first picture.  I like the spring squills so much that I can't resist posting two pictures of them. 

The hoary rockroses are also in flower.  The flowers are smaller and the plants hairier than the common rockose, which starts flowering later, so there only odd flowers of these open at the moment. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2012, 09:52:55 pm »
Here are a couple more common flowers - herb Robert and a dandelion.  I know that I've posted a very similar photo of a dandelion before but looking at the flower like this makes me think of a sunburst - and we may not get any of those tomorrow!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2012, 11:35:48 pm »
Some more flowers from the Great Orme, all in the area surrounging Mike's golf course.

Mike is obviously doing his bit for conservation by leaving some of the grass uncut to allow some of the less common flowers to grow.   &well&

Offline hollins

« Reply #201 on: May 01, 2012, 08:23:52 pm »
I love looking at your flower photos Blodyn. I never knew the name "herb robert." The forget-me-not looks so pretty in your photograph but they are all gorgeous.
We had a friend here yesterday who is keen on photography. She goes to a camera club and has a very swish looking camera!
She took these photos of the bluebells which are looking much more blue now.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #202 on: May 01, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »
Thanks, Hollins, that's very kind.

How lovely to see such a mass of bluebells in your friend's photos. 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2012, 11:11:56 am »
Noticed one or two purple orchids opening on the Orme this morning-- will try and remember the camera next trip !

Offline Jack

« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2012, 06:12:09 pm »
Saw this wood sorrel at Coed Dolgarrog, it is growing out of the moss on a dead tree branch!  Must be enough nutrients in the moss for the flower to grow.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2012, 11:32:27 pm »
Jack, what a lovely find!  It's a good example of community succession, as soil and humus can start to build up within moss communities, allowing "higher" plants to become established.  I'm not sure how much further the succession will go on a tree trunk, though! 

Offline Jack

« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2012, 09:14:22 pm »
Here is another one Blodyn, from the same area, a sapling rooted in the top of a fence post!!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2012, 01:05:47 pm »
Remembered the camera!
Here is a Purple Orchid and also a view of one of the masses of Gorse.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46:42 pm »
Llanddwyn Island was amass with flowers yesterday and Blodyn and Nemesis would have had a field day with their cameras.  The volunteer and Forestry workers have recorded the flowers on the Island and I'm sure they said that there were over 70 varieties recorded!  ( I should have paid more attention)
The location of the various plants are displayed in the Pilots Cottages on the Island.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2012, 10:08:08 pm »
Lovely photos, everyone.

Jack, that sapling looks very ambitious!

Nemesis, that's a lovely orchid - I hope the sheep don't eat it! 

Hugo, the last photo with the mass of bluebells and blue sea is particularly beautiful.