Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 116161 times)

Offline Paddy

Re: Wild flowers
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:07 am »
The leaves of wild arum are starting to appear in wooded areas on the Great Orme.

The rare plant hutchinsia is just starting to come into flower on the Great Orme.  I can't claim any credit for spotting this, as I was told when and where to look for it.  This a pretty small member of the cabbage family and the flowers are tiny.  The flower stalks should grow a bit more but I thought that I'd post a picture now in case I don't get back before flowering finishes.

Blodyn, I dropped 20p in that area, did you happen to find it?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2012, 06:29:48 am »
 _))*

Great pics, I love the early spring (late winter) flowers D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2012, 08:59:29 pm »
Blodyn, I dropped 20p in that area, did you happen to find it?

Well, Paddy, I wondered where it came from!   ;)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #183 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:32 pm »
The wet conditions in Capel Curig are perfect for the lichen and ferns that grow on some of the trees there.  We stopped at St Mary's Church in Caerhun on the way back but the Snowdrops have faded as Jack mentioned but it was worth the stop just to look at the view over the Church wall.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2012, 12:36:38 am »
I did get back to have another look at the hutchinsia and the plants had grown a bit but were still very small. 

I spotted my first wild violets yesterday - there have probably been others in flower already, these just happen to be the first I've seen. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21:49 pm »
There are a lot of alexanders in flower at the moment.  The one in the photograph was on the Little Orme, where the smell (described as "pungent" by one of my wild flower books) was very noticeable in the still air.  Unlike the tiny hutchinsia, these are big, robust plants.  The leaves are a deep, glossy green and from a distance the flowers look green too but a closer look shows that the little individual flowers are actually yellow. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2012, 04:08:46 pm »
Gloddaeth Lane looked nice as I drove past today so I stopped to take a couple of photos of the flowers there.  There were loads of Daffodils out and it looked like there were many more that would be out soon.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05:45 am »
It is lovely to see the spring flowers coming out, isn't it?  What a nice picture of the primroses, Hugo. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2012, 11:25:50 pm »
This morning felt very spring-like, particularly with more wild flowers starting to appear. 

Here are a lesser celandine and some daisies. 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2012, 08:32:13 am »
Lovely pics as ever Blod. have seen quite a bit of difference in the amount of flowers and mosses during this last week. Everything is waking up !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2012, 12:00:28 am »
You're right, Nemesis, things are certainly getting going.

I went out for a "quick" walk this morning and took just my compact camera, so that I didn't spend too much time messing about photographing flowers.  Well, the theory was OK ...

The holly flowers are from a male tree. 

The violets are common dog violets.  Those in an earlier post were sweet violets, so it's a good excuse for another photo. 

There's a lovely patch of very low growing blackthorn near the top of the zig-zag path on the Great Orme and the bumblebees were enjoying the flowers on these and the gorse. 

Offline hollins

« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2012, 06:51:53 am »
Amazing photos Blodyn!
So that's you with a compact camera.......would you mind saying which one it is?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »
Hollins, sorry for the late reply.  My compact camera's a 7MP Kodak but it's not made any more, so I'm afraid that won't help your search for a new camera.  I'm sure that there are plenty of better models than mine, which I bought mainly for its wide angle lens. 

Offline hollins

« Reply #193 on: April 22, 2012, 02:02:20 pm »
The bluebells aren't fully out yet but the woods are looking good nevertheless.
Here are a few pics I took this morning.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #194 on: April 22, 2012, 05:44:04 pm »
I'm not generally into wild flowers but their is a great host of Cowslips next to the path leading from the shop to the Cafe at the RSPB in the Junction.   I wouldn't have noticed until the OH pointed them out to me.    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero