Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 116192 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Wild flowers
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2012, 08:50:05 pm »
Thanks very much, Llechwedd, that's very kind. 

My camera is an Olympus Camedia C-8080 Wide Zoom.  It's a "bridge" camera, not a digital SLR, but it will go all the way from a wide angle to super macro with the one lens, with a bit of zoom in between.  Its main drawback is that it's very slow to focus and to write to the card but fortunately flowers don't move too fast unless it's windy!  I don't think the camera's made any more but it seems to work pretty well. 

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2012, 12:15:49 pm »
Thanks for that Blodyn I thought that I might venture in to Jessops sale.....!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2012, 12:24:06 pm »
The Camelias in Portmeirion were in bloom already as were many other shrubs.   They have many variety of trees there and some of the trees have most unusual shapes.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2012, 05:08:22 pm »
Those trees are amazing, Hugo!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2012, 05:07:58 pm »
Snowdrops on a bank by Pant Y Wennol today

Offline hollins

« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2012, 01:21:04 pm »
Hugo, Once again I have enjoyed the photos of all your travels yesterday.
I have tried this morning to take a photo of the snowdrops in our garden.
Where's a Blodyn or a Dave when you need one?!

Offline Jack

« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2012, 02:27:39 pm »
Fantastic display Hollins of such a beautiful delicate flower.  Do daffodils come through after the snowdrops have faded?

Offline hollins

« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2012, 02:57:19 pm »
Thanks Jack. Yes the daffodils come out but a bit further up the garden. I posted a picture of them in the Gardening thread. Page 4, reply 83. Sorry don't know how to do a link to it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »
Hollins, those Snowdrops look so lovely in large clumps like that. It's a pleasure seeing them as they are such a lovely flower.
The Church in Caerhun had masses of them when I went there last year, so I must make a point of going again soon.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2012, 08:22:00 am »
Drove down past there yesterday and saw some snowdrops by the roadside which reminded us of the ones at Gwydir Uchaf. Didn't drive up this time. Think I posted pics last year.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2012, 10:44:57 am »
What lovely photos of the snowdrops, Hugo and Hollins. 

Last year I planted some snowdrops in my garden, "in the green" and the leaved disappeared almost immediately, for which I blamed the slugs.  However, I now have three brave little flowers showing but I've got a long way to go to compete with those fantastic drifts of naturalised snowdrops!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:47 pm »
I'm the same Blodyn, there are about 6 snowdrops scattered about in my border all looking a bit lonely.   They say that it's best to plant them "in the green" but I've not had the best of luck with them either in the green or by planting bulbs,
Hollins' display is fantastic to see.
By the way I think the Rowen Open Day is this year sometime and there are some beautiful gardens open to the public so you'll be able to take some more great photos of the flowers.

Offline Jack

« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2012, 10:42:11 pm »
There are still quite a lot of snowdrops at St Mary's, Caerhun, however they are starting to fade.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »
The leaves of wild arum are starting to appear in wooded areas on the Great Orme.

The rare plant hutchinsia is just starting to come into flower on the Great Orme.  I can't claim any credit for spotting this, as I was told when and where to look for it.  This a pretty small member of the cabbage family and the flowers are tiny.  The flower stalks should grow a bit more but I thought that I'd post a picture now in case I don't get back before flowering finishes. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2012, 08:09:27 pm »
Greenfild Valley today and the only variety of flower that I saw there