Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 118706 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Wild flowers
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:20 pm »
Thanks Blodyn I'll be one up on Llinos when we go there again  $good$
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »
Spotted these little beauties whilst on Holiday in Portugal over the last week or so.  Any ideas as to what they are?  Sorry for quality, I forgot to put super Macro on!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2011, 06:17:22 pm »
the last one looks like Morning Glory
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2011, 11:14:21 am »
Thanks, Hollins.  If you translate these colours into one of your projects I hope you'll post the result. 

It was very peaceful on the Orme yesterday evening and despite the very busy day I passed only one other person on my walk.

Sorry to all those who have tuned in to see a lovely photo of wild flowers.......you've got my crochet instead!
I was inspired by Blodyn's beautiful photos of heather and gorse (reply 106) and I found some nice yarns in Switzerland which do have a bit of a look of the colours in the photos. Anyway here is the latest shawl Blodyn!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2011, 05:55:42 pm »
Hollins, that's beautiful, the colours look lovely together.  Many thanks for showing us the finished result.  You must be fast worker or did you start it while you were in Switzerland?   

Yorkie, those are lovely colourful flowers.  I agree with Nemesis on the blue one and the pink one looks familiar as a garden flower, though I can't put a name to it at the moment.  Perhaps some of our gardeners could help with identification? 

Offline hollins

« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2011, 06:13:26 pm »
Thanks Blodyn. Yes I started it over there and two days hut bound because of rain and snow helped!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2011, 12:37:39 pm »
Blodyn-- don't you think the vivid pink one has a look of the Jersey Lily, can't remember what the proper name is-- I had something like that in the garden,but think I may have lost it.

Offline emma p

« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2011, 05:12:37 pm »
Love the portugese flowers......im wondering is the orange and pinky flower some kind of verbena ? They look vey much like the ones in my garden ???
The crochet is beautiful......gorgeous colours.  :)

Offline hollins

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2011, 05:09:10 pm »
Blodyn-- don't you think the vivid pink one has a look of the Jersey Lily, can't remember what the proper name is-- I had something like that in the garden,but think I may have lost it.

Nemesis, I'm not sure but I think it maybe oleander?
Here is a photo of ours.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2011, 05:33:43 pm »
Certainly looks the same Hollins. The leaves are more shiny than  mine were--were being the operative word !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2011, 03:30:12 pm »
This was growing well on the ledge by Pigeon's Cave today

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2011, 11:40:45 am »
Sorry this is a late reply; Blodyn thanks for putting the photos up of the Arbutus, they tend to be quite a scruffy tree, I suppose that's why many branches look like that. They prefer shelter you see, as they usually grow in forests.  Nice find re: the seedling, I've never seen an Arbutus seedling before  $good$ My move is a little closer to happening so I'll take a look when it goes through.

As for the ID of the plants above:

1. Lantana camara
2. Nerium oleander (very poisonous) - will grow well in Llandudno, give it a go!
3. Morning glory.. will also do well in Llandudno.

The photo above is a type of Brassica plant, you can find them all over Llandudno (look on the walls behind the Grand Hotel, as you go up the road to Happy Valley), they look quite exotic with their stems

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2011, 01:42:37 pm »
Stephen, there seemed to be plenty of Arbutus seedlings and small bushes about.  It's interesting to hear that they prefer shelter, as these seem to be happily colonising a grassy hillside.  However, the plants are quite low growing, so maybe they are still sheltered - or maybe the exposure is keeping them low!  It will be interesting to see how they develop. 

It's nice to have an identification of all Yorkie's plants.  I would expect that Hugo's is a wild cabbage (Brassica oleracea) - look out for long stems of yellow flowers on these in spring and summer, Hugo. 

Hope your move continues to progress, Stephen. 

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2011, 02:06:29 pm »
Interesting, one interesting thing to note is that Arbutus is adapted only to coastal Mediterranean climates. Llandudno has a self-seeding population. There are specimens in Chester and a few in a garden near me, but the Chester one, and the ones near me cannot set fruit. I suspect this is because the climate is not warm enough in the winter. Like Olive trees in their natural habitat, they flower in winter, so frosts tend to destroy the flowers. However Llandudno doesn't have the level of frost we have, and certainly not the level of frosts that Chester has, therefore Llandudno's climate seems very suitable for the Arbutus.

Given how fussy Arbutus unedo is, and given it's propensity to self seed just within its natural range, I would classify it as a native plant that needs to be conserved on the great Orme. As long as they're left alone they''ll grow into a woody thicket which is develop a similarity to Laurisilva forests of Portugal and Canary Islands (Indeed Arbutus unedo, Prunus lusitanica, and Ilex aquifolium (our common holly), are native laurel forest plants of Canary Islands and Portugal

They are generally quite big trees when sheltered, the one in Chester is a good example, I'd say it grows to the same height as Prunus lusitanica - thats larger than a fully grown Holly Tree (Ilex aquifolium) anyhow. I'd say the open nature of things keeps them dwarfed.

Thanks for the ID, Brassica oleracea. Well we don't have these in Wirral, surprisingly, I think they must prefer alkaline soils, rather than our acid soil.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2011, 03:24:44 pm »
Here's a lovely collection of mosses growing on a rock on the Great Orme.  I'm not very good at identifying mosses but I think that the very white-looking cushions are a species of Grimmia, while the greener ones, with the long capsules of spores, are a species of Tortula.  Has anyone got any better suggestions?