Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 116325 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Wild flowers
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2011, 11:26:49 pm »
There's a patch of rosebay willowherb growing in the middle of a much larger patch of bracken on the Great Orme, so I thought that I'd just nip in and get some pictures.  The bracken turned out to be about 5' high, interspersed with brambles, nettles and holes in the ground, so I abandoned the idea of reaching the main patch of willowherb (shown in the first photo) and settled for a couple of outlying plants. 

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2011, 08:26:58 am »
Ouch :o. Lovely shots Blodyn.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2011, 02:45:50 pm »
Blodyn would have had a field day on Llanddwyn Island and the Newborough sand dunes yesterday. There were loads of unusual flowers out but I only stopped to take these two shots.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2011, 05:34:20 pm »
1st pic I think is Heartsease.
2nd pic is Sea Holly ( Eringeum)

Blodyn will know for certain i'm sure.

The weather didn't look much like August Hugo-- what a shame as it looks a lovely area.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »
Thanks for the info on the plants Nemesis, it is  a beautiful place to go to, especially when the weather is good.  There is a shorter walk to it from the toll road but it's not as nice as the walk that we did yesterday.
Mike's (Ormegolf) ancestor was the last lighthouse keeper on the Island and there is a photo of her in the Pilot's cottage but sadly it was closed or otherwise I'd have taken a photo of her picture.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2011, 06:50:46 pm »
What a shame-- perhaps next time?

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2011, 07:46:22 pm »
Can anyone who goes for a walk around the western side of the Orme (lower paths) let me know if Arbutus unedo is still growing wild there... Arbutus unedo is the strawberry tree, it is native to Ireland, and potentially native to Wales.

It's evergreen with colourful fruits in Autumn/Winter.

It's an exceptionally rare tree in the UK, and as such should be protected in my opinion. The Arbutus have become a little invasive on the Orme, but again the ethics of invasion are difficult to explain, especially when it is unknown of this tree is truly native to Wales at all.

Photo below:

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2011, 08:45:13 am »
There was on in Happy Valley, but last time I was up there I missed it. Might be me, or last winter's appalling weather killed it.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2011, 03:37:39 pm »
Hugo, thanks for the pictures of Llanddywn and Newborough.  It's a beautiful area and you're right about the wonderful flowers. 

Nemesis, you don't need me at all - your identification is very good! 

Stephen, I'll try to remember to keep my eyes open for the strawberry trees and to check on the one in Haulfre Gardens.  You probably know that one: it's by the path which zig-zags up from the toilets to Mike's golf course. 

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »
Blodyn, I've never seen it, I must have been walking around with the eyes closed! I'll have to look again next time - it's a little easier to ID in winter because it's usually very colourful and evergreen. Fruits are edible too, but not very nice.

Nemesis, the one in Happy Valley Gardens is alive and well:

The photo was taken in July.

Offline ddonovan

« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2011, 07:09:48 pm »
Can anyone advise where I might be able to find any Sloe Berries later in the year local to Llandudno / Rhos-on-Sea, any sucessful find will result in a sample of my very fine Sloe Gin?

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2011, 07:40:17 pm »
Look around hedgerows, there should be plenty around Haulfre Gardens area, and on the western side of the Orme? They're unmistakable anyway, you can see them from miles away. Damson wine/gin is supposedly pretty good too.

Offline Jack

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »
Can anyone advise where I might be able to find any Sloe Berries later in the year local to Llandudno / Rhos-on-Sea, any sucessful find will result in a sample of my very fine Sloe Gin?

The summit of Bryn Euryn is laden with sloe bushes.  Park in the car park off Tan-y-Bryn Road, Rhos and follow the path to the top!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2011, 11:43:36 am »
Glad the Strawberry Tree is Ok-- I must have been on the wrong path !
Thanks for the compliment Blodyn-- My Grandad who died when I was 7 used to walk me along the lanes where he lived and teach me the names of the flowers. The interest must have stuck, 'cos I still come home and look things up if I am doubtful.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2011, 05:15:49 pm »
Stephen, don't worry about having missed the strawberry tree.  I'm always encouraged by the fact that people who've lived here much longer than me keep discovering new things here - it makes me feel better when I realise that I've missed something!