Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 116179 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Wild flowers
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 11:19:54 am »
There are some quite impressive flowers on the brambles at the moment - let's hope they're followed by equally impressive blackberries!

On a smaller scale, the heath bedstraw is appearing among the patches of heathland plants on the Great Orme, while the unfurling bracken fronds look very fresh.  

Hope you like the pictures, catlover!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2011, 04:35:45 pm »
The flowering grasses look beautiful blowing in the wind, with the light and colours changing as they ripple.  I've not managed to capture that in a photo so here are a few close ups instead.  I realise that it's not very sensible trying to photograph grass in the wind (particularly with a rather slow camera like mine) but here are the best of the bunch.  My favourite grass, the quaking grass, is quite a challenge, as the little florets dance in the slightest breeze. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2011, 11:06:35 am »
Saw this one on the Orme yesterday:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2011, 11:12:30 am »
...and there seemed to be quite a few of these about:

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2011, 11:35:13 am »
The flowers in the second photo are really pretty, my photo was not as good as yours Dave.   :roll:
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2011, 11:50:57 am »
Is the second pic. meadowsweet?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2011, 05:49:17 pm »
Some flowers I saw on my walk over the Great Orme. Apologies for the quality Blodyn.   :-[

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 11:41:19 am »
DaveR's first picture looks like one of the St. John's worts, while the second could be meadowsweet as Nemesis suggests or the closely related dropwort, which is in Hugo's second picture.  There's a lot of dropwort in flower at the moment in the drier areas, whereas meadowsweet favours wetter areas, has flatter flowerheads and is scented (did you happen to sniff it, Dave or Pendragon?). 

Hugo's first picture is a mallow, probably a common one, and the third is a pyramidal orchid. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 12:20:51 pm »
I would say it was Dropwort then, as it was quite a dry area I saw it in. I neglected to sniff it, I'm afraid!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 07:25:33 pm »
Thanks for the info Blodyn.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 05:30:55 pm »
It's a lovely day today, so here are a few more flowers from the Orme: red clover, ox-eye daisy (with wildlife) and meadowsweet.  The meadowsweet is just getting past its best and doesn't look as flat-topped as it did a couple of weeks ago, the leaves are more obvious than on dropwort and it does smell nicer (I checked them both!). 

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2011, 05:46:15 pm »
lovely photos, and very educational, I had no idea what most of these flowers were called before this thread started,! $thanx$

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 09:37:53 am »
Thanks, suepp, I'm glad you're enjoying the flowers. 

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 10:26:24 am »
I have to admit the closest I've got to gardening is watering hanging baskets but even then I had no clue what the flowers were called but always admired their beauty.  Blodyn however with the stunning pictures and descriptions has evoked a new interest for me and I tend to notice an awful lot more now.  Thanks Blodyn.  I shall now probably go on to win window box of the year  $good$
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2011, 03:28:47 pm »
Thanks very much for your nice comments, Pendragon.  Although it's an old cliche, "the more you look, the more you see" is quite true.  There are some lovely blue flowers to look out for on the Great Orme now, as the harebells and spiked speedwells are just coming into flower.  The harebells have got very delicate, largish flowers which are, not surprisingly, bell-shaped, while the spiked speedwells have tiny flowers arranged in spikes.