Author Topic: Wild flowers  (Read 116127 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Wild flowers
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 10:54:50 am »
Cadair Ifan Goch walk

Offline Jack

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 08:10:33 pm »
Not sure what the white flower is Hugo, but the red ones are Red Campion  :)

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 11:45:20 pm »
What nice photos, Hollins and Hugo. 

Hugo, the white flower is cuckoo flower / lady's smock, which grows in damp places. 

A friend tells me that she's seen some green-winged orchids in the rough on Mike's Great Orme Family Golf course but I haven't had the chance to go and look for myself. 

The hoary and common rockroses are now both in flower on the Great Orme. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 06:04:09 pm »
The burnet rose and Nottingham catchfly are flowering on the Great Orme but it's too windy to photograph them, so instead "here are some that I prepared earlier" which are also in flower at the moment.

The common milkwort hides down amongst the grass and comes in a range of colours such as purple, deep pink or dark blue but I rather like these pale blue ones. 

Mexican fleabane is, as its name suggests, not a native but it seems to have settled happily in some of the rocky areas.

Salad burnet flowers don't have any petals and can get overlooked but they're still quite pretty if you get close to them.

The may blossom of the hawthorn was out before the month began and is still looking good. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »
Thrift,  high up above Hornby Cove yesterday

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 12:07:49 pm »
Here are a couple of pictures of the "tame" Cotoneaster cambricus in the wild flower garden at the Great Orme summit visitor centre.  Sorry it's not a wild one, Trojan. 

The leaves are considerably larger than those of the invasive Cononeaster species, though the wild C. cambricus plants may not look so lush if they are growing in less favourable conditions. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 12:18:55 pm »
Oops - I forgot to attach the photos, so here they are!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »
The wind has finally dropped, so here are photos of a burnet rose and a common rockrose on the Great Orme.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »
The wild flowers were quite spectacular on my walk this morning from behind the 1/2 way station and over the hill towards the top of the ski run. Many of the stony hollows were filled with thrift, which made a lovely change from the grey of the rocks.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 11:34:26 pm »
The common butterworts on the Great Orme are just starting to flower.  If you're not familiar with them, these are insectivorous plants which trap small insects on the sticky leaves and slowly digest them - and they look such innocent little plants, too!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 11:01:32 pm »
The Great Orme is covered in gold at the moment - rockroses, birdsfoot trefoil, buttercups, medicks - but as a change of colour here's a dog rose. 

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:48 am »
You take some fantastic pics Blodyn  D)
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 02:31:20 pm »
Thank you Pendragon, that's really kind of you.  I enjoy taking the pictures and I'm glad that other people enjoy looking at them.   $thanx$

Offline catlover

Re: Wild flowers and all pics on the forum
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 03:16:54 pm »
Thanks for all the lovely pics posted, please keep it up as i dont get to Llandudno often, and would love more pics  of Happy Valley, Sunshine cafe and the Orme.   :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Wild flowers and all pics on the forum
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 06:56:43 pm »
Thanks for all the lovely pics posted, please keep it up as i dont get to Llandudno often, and would love more pics  of Happy Valley, Sunshine cafe and the Orme.   :)
There's some nice pics of Happy Valley in my blog post:
http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2009/10/happy-valley-llandudno.html

:)