Author Topic: Fire service news and announcements  (Read 313 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SteveH

  • News Editor
  • *****
Fire service news and announcements
« on: October 18, 2019, 04:19:00 PM »
Never been keen on candles in the house but during power cuts I have used candles, in a glass container for safety, so reading this was a bit of a shock, and well worth sharing on the Forum.

Photos show the aftermath of a freak accident which saw a glass jar with a candle in it explode and cause a house fire.
Fire chiefs are warning people not to leave burning candles unattended after two people were "lucky to escape" a blaze which destroyed their bathroom.

The warning has been issued as part of National Candle Fire Safety Week, which takes place this week.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Residents using candles are advised to follow the safety advice below:

Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder, on a stable surface, and away from materials that may catch fire - such as curtains
Children and pets should never be left alone with lit candles
Never leave a lit candle unattended. Put candles out whenever you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night
Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times
Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid vents or air currents - this will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping
Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring
Don’t move candles once they are lit
Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on burn time and proper use
Always put scented candles in a heat resistant holder, as these candles are designed to liquefy when heated, to maximise fragrance
Always burn candles on a heat resistant mat
Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare
Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out candles. It’s safer than blowing them out which may cause sparks.

SteveH

  • News Editor
  • *****
Re: Fire service ..........CHARITY CAR WASH TODAY
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
LLANDUDNO FIRE STATION CAR WASH DAY IN AID OF THE FIRE FIGHTERS CHARITY SAT 02 Nov 2019

A bit late to find out, but give it a go if you can.        10am  4pm                           TODAY

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

SteveH

  • News Editor
  • *****
Re: Fire service news and announcements
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »
Fire officers are highlighting the importance of using white goods appliances safely after three people had a lucky escape.

Crews from Llandudno and Colwyn Bay were called to the property at Hafod Road West, Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno at 2.01pm.
A smoke alarm alerted the residents and they were able to call 999 and escape safely with reassurance advice issued by control operators.

Steve Roberts, Locality Manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “This incident once again highlights the importance of smoke alarms which alerted the occupants to the fire in their home.

“The fire started in a tumble dryer which was housed in a cupboard under the stairs in the property. If you use a tumble dryer, it must have appropriate ventilation - do not place items on top or around the appliance.

“Other important safety tips for using white goods appliances safely include:
* Don’t overload plug sockets - the high wattage for a tumble dryer means that it needs its own 13-amp socket. Keep an eye out for any scorching or burn marks, including checking any visible electrical wires.

*Don't leave appliances unattended – don't turn the tumble dryer on before you leave the house or go to bed. Tumble dryers contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that can get very hot.

*Keep your dryer well ventilated, make sure the vent pipe is kink free and not blocked or crushed in any way.

*Always clean out the filter after using your tumble dryer.

*Always allow each drying programme, including the 'cool down cycle', to complete fully before emptying the machine. If you stop the machine mid cycle, the clothing will still be hot.

*Don’t ignore the warning signs – if you can smell burning or clothes feel hotter at the end of the cycle, stop using your appliance and have it checked out by a professional.
*To help protect you and your family in the event of a fire, ensure you have working smoke alarms fitted in your home and test them regularly.
“To find out more about safety in the home visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,uk and to find out more about electrical safety visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.