Author Topic: Elizabeth "Bessie" Jones. Parents Pierce & Jane Anne of Tan Y Wal  (Read 27659 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Elizabeth "Bessie" Jones. Parents Pierce & Jane Anne of Tan Y Wal
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 09:38:11 pm »
Good stuff here Helig. Thanks for the hard work.

Interesting that Henry and Kate would be running Pen Y Cefn Inn in Llandegfan in 1911.
Wonder if this has a connection with my Taid, John Jones, meeting up with my Nain, Grace Ellan Jones. John Jones born in Llandegfan and married my Nain in 1915 in Llandudno  ?

Offline Helig

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 10:47:01 am »
 Just getting back to Henry Jones, there are some more school admission books and registers on Find My Past which show he attended St George's National School in 1894. This one has his father as Pierce Jones but his date of birth as 20 August 1885. I am not sure how reliable these entries are as I suspect some of the details got mixed up.

I cannot find him in the 1939 register. There is a death for a Henry Jones in 1939, age 53. That puts his year of birth as 1886.

There is a record for a Henry Jones, Private, resident Llandudno, born 1886, who served in WW1. It appears to show he was discharged in 1917 due to disability. It isn't possible to see the original record so cannot be certain it is the same person.

Helig

Offline Helig

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 11:28:32 am »
Hello Mull,

It is a distinct possibility as to how your grandparents met originally. I am struggling to find any more on this line, or George Marshall at least. He should be in the 1939 register but there is no trace so far. In fact it has proved difficult to find anything for this family after 1911. There are some people with identical names living in Australia but it isn't possible to be certain they are the same family.

There are a few people with Family Trees for this line on Ancestry but they are all Personal Member trees which means you cannot access them unless you get their permission.

I found Walter George Marshall, b1899, attended St George's National school in Llandudno in 1907. The school register/admission book has his father as George Marshall, address The Dargle, Bodhyfryd Road. The book states he left on 21 November 1907, having "gone to Anglesey". Prior to that he attended Lloyd St infants school in 1902. The address shown was in Jubilee St.

I hope you are keeping well. It looks as though there is another storm heading across later this week.

Helig

Offline Helig

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 12:29:24 pm »
I found an interesting article in The North Wales Chronicle dated 11 September 1897. It reports a Coroner's Inquest into the death of Hubert Stone age 14. The main witness was Pierce Jones, Plasterer, of 7 Back Augusta St. Pierce Jones heard that a boy was missing and went to search form him. He found his body under Little Orme's Head at 8-8.15am. There is an interesting account of the hearing.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 02:02:56 pm »
Tan Y Wal connection. Can you help please ?

Anyone on here got access to crew records for Llandudno Lifeboat ?

Was Pierce Jones  (1883-1964) ever a member of the lifeboat crew ?

Mull,   I've had a reply from the RNLI and it confirms that Pierce Jones was a member of the RNLI and had been for 50 years.    I've attached a copy of the e-mail I received today, I hope that this is the info you are looking for.   Scroll down to the bottom to see the report on Pierce- 

"I can confirm that Pierce Jones was part of the crew at Llandudno. He retired in 1952 after 50 years of involvement with the station. You can see a notice of the award made on his retirement here: https://lifeboatmagazinearchive.rnli.org/volume/33/361/awards-to-coxswains-and-life-boatmen?searchterm="pierce+jones"&page=1
We don;t appear to have any further records, our crew information for this period being patchy. I do hope what I have provided is helpful."
Best wishes
Haylry

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 04:07:31 pm »
Wow! I go missing in action a few days and you guys come up with so much info. You are absolutely correct, the 18 pages of previous info is a lot to process but very helpful. I will follow up on all your leads.  Thanks so very much for everything! I hadn't found anything on Kate and Henry/Harry so that is a real lead there! Somebody mentioned a specific cemetery above for Annie Maria so I will start contacting folks. I will of course check in as I do love to see what you guys are researching.  If I can help research anybody on my end just ask, anytime. Mull! Please contact me if you want anymore of the pics I have! Kirk18@cox.net.  Chad
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph

Offline mull

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 06:28:37 pm »
Hi Helig,
All OK on Mull. Storm Lorenzo just arrived, Calmac have now cancelled all mainland and Iona ferries for rest of today. Just got home after a trip to the dentist in Tobermory (130 mile round trip ). Due NHS cuts the mobile surgery no longer comes down to the South West end of the island. Now got fire lit for the evening.

Interesting how odd things my mother mentioned when I was a young boy, and I did not take a lot of notice, have been confirmed on this forum.

Eg: Doris (1930) adopted by Richard and Jane Jones.

Now Hugo has turned up information from RNLI HQ. Uncle Percy was awarded for 50 years service with Llandudno Lifeboat in 1952. My
mother had mentioned he was a lifeboatman.

I can recall my mother mentioning we had relatives in Australia but that is all I Know.

Pierce Jones discovering the body of a young boy at the foot of the Little Orme.

If you go on the Grace Ellen Jones 1885-1961 thread ( Record 185 Feb 1st 2018 ), Hugo has some photos he took when he went to find the memorial stone erected by the boys parents at the foot of Little Orme. It is only accessable from the beach at Spring Low Tides.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 06:35:58 pm »
This is just part of the memorial for Hubert Stone, all my other photos were lost when my laptop crashed and it wasn't backed up

Offline Helig

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2019, 10:58:33 am »
Hello Mull, Hugo and Chad,

I trust you have survived Storm Lorenzo and it has quietened down now.

I had a feeling that the story about Hubert Stone was covered by Hugo before. I shall have to refresh my memory and read the older posts.

I was thinking about the Marshall family last night and I have a strong suspicion that it is the same family that kept appearing in Australia. I will do some more research and see what I can find.

Did we find much on John Jones, husband of Grace Ellen Jones? I see there is a photo of their grave at St Tudno on Billiondollar graves Site:

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Grace-Ellen-Jones/296740

It states that John Jones died 15 August 1937, aged 53, at 59 Clare Road, Bootle. He was late of MDHB, Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.

Grace died 29 December 1961, aged 76.

Helig

Offline mull

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2019, 09:33:19 pm »
Hi Helig,

We visited North Wales about 2 years ago and spent a morning in Anglesey Archives in Llangefni trying to nail down information on birth of my Taid. Trouble was his name, John Jones is so popular. We Found the baptism records at Llandegfan at that time a bit chaotic. Wonder if the recorder had enjoyed a few sherries. Had difficulty in matching up my Taids DOB, recorded in his Seamans Discharge Book with recorded births. Wonder if he had claimed to be a year older when he registered as a seaman.

Weather on the day at Llangefni was very hot and I had to abandon the search because I could not leave my dog in the car outside any longer. I have not been back since but when I get the chance will try again, and get to the bottom of his exact date of birth.

Thank you again for the searching you have done.

Offline Helig

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 10:21:43 am »
I have found a baptism for Violet Gwendoline Rusholme in St Mark, Noel Park, Haringey. She was baptised on 21 April 1907, d/o William Henry and Elizabeth Rusholme. William's occupation is Iron work erector. They lived at 165a Gladstone Avenue.

An interesting find for Elizabeth Rusholme (Bessie Jones) in the 1911 census. She is living in Llandudno and the details are as follows:

Woodley, 53 Alexandra Road, Llandudno.

Mrs W Rusholme, wife, married, age 32, occupation: private, born Llandudno.
Violet Rusholme, daughter, age 4, born Wood Green, London.
Gwladys Rusholme, daughter, age 9 months, born Wood Green.
Mary Jane Jones, age 18, single, sister, at home, born Llandudno.

It states that she has been married for 8 years and has had 2 children.

There are some pieces of information on William Rusholme, Bessie's husband.

He was born in Selby, Yorkshire in 1878. In the 1891 census he was living in Wood Green, London, with his parents and siblings. He is on a list of embarkees on the Dominion Monarch arriving in Southampton on 15 November 1945. The port of origin was Sydney, Australia. He was aged 68 and an Engineer. The list is headed, "Hong Kong and Malayan internees embarked at Sydney for the United Kingdom". The ports of call for the voyage were: Freemantle, Aden, Suez and Port Said. William Rusholme's last country of permanent residence is shown as Celebes. His home address was: 8 Prices Avenue, Cliftonville, Margate, Kent.

There is another entry for him on a ship's passenger list this time for 12 April 1935. The Dempo was sailing from Southampton to Netherlands and India. William Rusholme is shown as contracted to land at Singapore. His home address is: Connaught Road, Margate, Kent. His occupation is erector. Country of last permanent residence given as UK. Country of future permanent residence shown as "S.S.". I think that stands for Straits Settlement.

Find my past has him on the passenger list of the Khiva on 15 August 1919. It is a list of passengers embarked at the port of Bombay and the ship is bound for London. He is contracted to land at Singapore and his country of intended future residence is given as Christmas Island. Occupation: erector, age 41.

It looks as though he wasn't with Bessie very much.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 10:16:35 am »
Now that we have had the confirmation that Pierce Jones was a member of the RNLI from 1902 to 1952 we can be certain that one of the Lifeboats he served on was the Theodore Price
The Theodore Price arrived in Llandudno in 1902 and that was the year that Pierce Jones joined the RNLI.   The boat was in active service for 30 years so that boat is definitely one that Pierce served on but there were also a number of boats afterwards that he would have gone on.
The Theodore Price was a self righting boat, 37 feet long and powered by 12 oars  the RNLI  has a reputation for brave volunteers but those volunteers must have been exceptionally brave to go out in a boat without an engine.
The photo was taken in 1915 so Pierce may be amongst the crew in the photo

Offline mull

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 10:46:09 am »
Well done Hugo.
I have a feeling that is him bottom right in the top photo. They must have been strong men in those days to keep rowing for several hours.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2019, 03:57:46 pm »
Here are 3 more photos that may be of interest to you Mull

The 1st one is of the arrival of the Theodore Price on its arrival to Llandudno in 1902.     It was designed and built to the specifications of 3 members of the crew namely Coxwain John Hughes, Deputy Cox John Williams and John Owen ( who later became Cox )

The 2nd one is a launch of the Theodore Price about 1910

The 3rd is of the Thomas and Annie Wade Richards lifeboat which was in service from 1933 to 1953.  It looks like the photo was taken in front of the old Lifeboat Station next to the Conwy Archives

Offline ckirkrph

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 01:34:12 am »
Hey. I did a time back get a copy of Annie Maria's death certificate but nothing was mentioned about where she may have been buried.  Now I believe it as Helig who sent the link to Yardley Cemetery and I do believe you might have found her. I don't recall Yardley being mentioned before but if I missed it I do apologize, but I am so so happy for all your efforts, they are always above and beyond! I did purchase burial info and I am confident it is her. Even more exciting I was able to contact Annie Maria's 92 year old granddaughter and let her know something she always wanted to know, where her gram was buried. I will be flying over as soon as i get my passport updated (of course it expired) to put some flowers on her grave and or  buy her a proper stone if necessary. 
I just wanted to follow up on everything and of course as time goes if I have any info on folks searching on here I would be happy to help! Thanks so much and if you ever do hear anything from the Jones family related to me who are interested in sharing information I am definitely excited and happy to do so. Excited to see beautiful Llandudno too. Thanks guys!
Chad M. Kirk R.Ph