Author Topic: Minadon Cottages  (Read 2048 times)

Offline BrianP

Minadon Cottages
« on: August 30, 2019, 01:28:51 pm »
I am trying to find images of the Minadon Cottages that were near Penmorfa, on West Shore. There was some mention of them recently on this site.
Thank you,
Brian

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Minadon Cottages
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 03:15:44 pm »
The Min Y Don Cottages were in the grounds of the former Penmorfa Hotel and were demolished in 1936.    They were a terrace of 6 houses and were known locally as Penmorfa Cottages
I've attached a copy of the 1906 Llandudno UDC Rates Book and my Taid  had moved in to No 6 in that year,     I had lots of photos at one time but I've attached some that I still have

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 03:55:12 pm »
Here are a few more photos Brian

The first photo was taken just before the cottages were demolished in 1936

The second photo was believed to be taken in the 1920's but I believe that it may be from the very early 1930's as my mother always said that the young girl in the photo was  my cousin Ivy who was living at No 6 at that time

The third one is of the boating lake and the cottages are in the background,  there is a large cottage on the right hand side which was called Glan Y Don  and it is still there but is now called Morannedd,   It's at the head of the cul de sac called Abbey Place

The fourth is of the old Toll House, you'll see a building on the left that the pedestrians walked through and at one time were also charged a toll for doing so.  I remember it but the powers that be arranged for it to be demolished

Offline BrianP

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:04:34 pm »
Hello Hugo, thank you for posting the pictures and  details. Would it be alright to share the images with someone doing their family history. Her great grandmother lived at no 2 Minadon Cottage in1881. Regards, Brian

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 10:22:38 pm »
Hi Brian,   you are very welcome to share anything I've posted on here and any other person is welcome too.    It's nice being able to help people in any way we can.

I only found out that the Penmorfa Cottages were called officially Min Y Don Cottages when Rog from Holland was trying to trace his ancestors who lived at No 3. in 1875 or thereabouts     I found that info out at the Conwy Archives in Llandudno

Offline BrianP

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 12:40:31 am »
Hello Hugo,
Thank you. I can look forward to sharing tomorrow.
Regards,
Brian

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 08:41:52 am »
Hi Brian,    I've just attached a photo of a watercolour painting painted by the Dean Henry Liddell  ( Alice in Wonderland's father )   He had this house built in 1862 near Min Y Don Cottages.    This is what it originally looked like in 1862  and you can see that it was done in a Gothic style and the Marine Drive wasn't even built then.    Access to the western side of the Great Orme would have been along the Monk's Path which you can see on the painting and is now the track above the old Toll House

He sold the house in 1873 but it would have looked like that in 1881.      If there were any children at No 2 in the 1800's then they would have attended the National School of St George in Church Walks and that is the school where all the children from the cottages would have gone to, including my mother and her siblings.
Some school records are still available at the Conwy Archives in Llandudno        If there is anything you want to ask about the cottages then please don't hesitate to ask as we may be able to help