Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 575136 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1230 on: January 20, 2017, 04:18:42 pm »

Sadly, there is an attitude of mind around here, which is unlike any I've experienced elsewhere. It's best epitomised by a mental shrug, accompanied by the phrase 'Well, what can anyone do?'.  It's an acceptance that nothing can be done, that the world is simply too overwhelming and these things will happen, come what may.  We need councillors who will ask the right questions, and not simply accept things - which is what the vast majority of our overpaid cabinet do and what most of the councillors do. CCBC is unfit for purpose.

It's not just CCBC, there are other councils of a similar ilk; as well as the well documented and publicly aired problems with Anglesey, there is Pembroke County Council, issues from both of these have reached and been documented in private Eye's 'Rotten Boroughs' on a number of occasions. When a truly independent councillor does get elected and exposing the scandalous goings on within the council, as Jacob Williams did in Pembrokeshire, there are concerted and malicious attempts to destroy them; and it takes a very strong person to fight back. Jacob has documented the abuse of authority in the attempts of PCC to derail him here  https://jacobwilliams.com

Fortunately, Jacob Williams and Mike Stoddard have exposed some of the scandalous and corrupt goings on in the council that are now the subject of Police enquiries. But guess what - come election time, those involved in the disgraceful practices still get voted back in. Now why is that I wonder.....?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:08:50 pm by Ian »
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1231 on: January 20, 2017, 07:17:01 pm »
It is quite remarkable that what amounts to gross incompetence and skulduggery appears to be alive and well in so many Welsh councils. That blog makes for depressing, if morbidly fascinating, reading.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1232 on: January 25, 2017, 10:56:51 pm »
The new design is so much in keeping with the original hotel and the previous application for 28 apartments.    &shake&

It'll rival the Pier Pavilion for it's inability to fit in to the surroundings.

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/171704/a-new-chapter-is-on-the-horizon-for-former-penmorfa-hotel-site-in-llandudno.aspx#.WIkrlIxD7fw.email

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1233 on: January 26, 2017, 12:17:01 am »
The new design is so much in keeping with the original hotel and the previous application for 28 apartments.    &shake&
It'll rival the Pier Pavilion for it's inability to fit in to the surroundings.
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/171704/a-new-chapter-is-on-the-horizon-for-former-penmorfa-hotel-site-in-llandudno.aspx#.WIkrlIxD7fw.email

I do not understand the comments from Barry Mortlock...how can this represent Alice ?
Barry Mortlock, co. director of Alice in Wonderland Ltd has said that this development is the “jewel in the crown” for tourism.
”To ourselves, this development is a missing piece in the jigsaw, As much as we are disappointed, we cannot move backwards we can only move forwards.
”It’s so important to tourism in Llandudno that we have the final jewel in the crown. It is important that there is something there to represent Alice.”

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1234 on: January 26, 2017, 12:29:39 am »
The same Barry Mortlock who rakes it in from charging visitors to go into the Xmas Fayre tents... and charges the people inside for sitting in them?
Yeah, I'm certain he's got the best interests of Llandudno at heart.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1235 on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:49 am »
This is a photo of the original building and the new apartments that are next to the site are more in keeping with the old Penmorfa Hotel than this proposed monstrosity.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #1236 on: January 26, 2017, 08:31:59 am »
Can we just ban the phrase "jewel in the crown" pls.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1237 on: January 26, 2017, 08:59:12 am »
He rather mixed his metaphors, calling it 'the missing piece of the jigsaw' as well. I suspect that's a bit more appropriate, since it looks much more like someone's assembled the proposed development from a load of interlocking bits, rather than created a stunning and iconic item of jewellery...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline X6jep

« Reply #1238 on: January 26, 2017, 10:09:01 am »
I agree with Hugo re the Penmorfa site. I think Anwyl are looking to create a monstrosity on the Westshore - they appear to be running rings around CCBC with this development.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1239 on: January 26, 2017, 03:47:11 pm »
I haven't got a photo of the new apartments that they built near the Penmorfa Hotel but I remember thinking that they fitted in very well with the now demolished building next door.
I wonder what the residents of those new flats think about the proposed Anwyl apartments, I bet that they are not too pleased.
As for the "jewel in the crown"       &shake&         What a ridiculous statement

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1240 on: January 26, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »
Had a walk along there today with the dog,yes managed to get her out Hugo, the flats they built there do blend in nicely, but I,m sorry if anyone thinks these that they are proposing needs to take a good look ,this town prides its self on the views not a view of a tenement block .

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1241 on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:07 am »
Quote..  Barry Mortlock, co. director of Alice in Wonderland Ltd has said that this development is the “jewel in the crown” for tourism.

”To ourselves, this development is a missing piece in the jigsaw, As much as we are disappointed, we cannot move backwards we can only move forwards.

”It’s so important to tourism in Llandudno that we have the final jewel in the crown. It is important that there is something there to represent Alice.”

So did Alice look like a block of flats? I've not seen Alice in Wonderland for ages, but I doubt there were any hideous blocks of flats in Wonderland!
What an unwanted 'jewel in the crown' this will be!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1242 on: January 27, 2017, 09:17:37 am »
Had a walk along there today with the dog,yes managed to get her out Hugo, the flats they built there do blend in nicely, but I,m sorry if anyone thinks these that they are proposing needs to take a good look ,this town prides its self on the views not a view of a tenement block .

It's good to hear that you are out and about with your dog Norman, hope that she wants to go out more often now.    Yes those apartments do look like "tenaments"   and  ugly ones at that

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1243 on: January 27, 2017, 02:47:06 pm »
I took a couple of photos of those apartments today that were next door to the Penmorfa Hotel and when they were built the developer must have taken everything into consideration and they fitted in well with their surroundings.
I've copied a photo of the former hotel and it's clear where the developer got his inspiration from.

There is a better photo on Flicker that Dave Roberts took of the hotel from another angle and that shows the apartments in the background and highlights why this proposed development is so much out of character with the original building and surrounding properties.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1244 on: January 27, 2017, 06:35:30 pm »
Thanks for those Hugo, the apartments are actually quite amazingly like the shape of the old building when it was the hotel.
The plans for the new building look no more like 'the jewel in he crown' than a child's Duplo creation. What a load of rubbish.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.