Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574494 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1215 on: December 06, 2016, 03:47:19 pm »
Just 19 days left until Christmas and I still have not seen Mr Hiller on the Tudno Castle site or any contractors either to start the work on the site as had been promised.
Perhaps he can say that work has begun by the fact that these planning applications have been made recently but he didn't say that when the promise was made

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1216 on: December 07, 2016, 08:19:28 am »
I spotted a few scaffolders working briefly on the scaffolding on the side of the building a few days ago. I doubt whether that actually constitutes the "starting work on the site"  promised.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1217 on: December 07, 2016, 09:04:24 am »
There was a truck and scaffolders at the front of the building yesterday (Tuesday 6th) morning, wearing safety helmets and were looking up at the building! ... also a chap with a camera taking photos of the rear of the building (could that have been one of our forum members!)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1218 on: December 07, 2016, 11:09:40 am »
There was a truck and scaffolders at the front of the building yesterday (Tuesday 6th) morning, wearing safety helmets and were looking up at the building! ... also a chap with a camera taking photos of the rear of the building (could that have been one of our forum members!)

Well it wasn't me DVT, but it's good to see something happening even if we are not quite sure what is going on.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1219 on: January 17, 2017, 02:18:22 pm »
Does this mean that Anwyl Construction will be putting off the Penmorfa Hotel site development for a few more years?

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/171353/major-development-of-123-homes-gets-underway-at-south-stack.aspx#.WH1Qua0wIkA.email

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #1220 on: January 17, 2017, 02:34:27 pm »
Don't see why it should necessarily, companies often have multiple sites under development at the same time. Not sure why these homes in Holyhead are being made available through Cartrefi Conwy though!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1221 on: January 17, 2017, 02:50:19 pm »
We'll just have to wait and see how long it is before any work does start on the Penmorfa Site.    While we are on this topic  I remembered your previous quote:-

"I always think it's so presumptuous when people say 'no locals' live in places like the Dorchester Apartments and the like."

Do you know the answer or am I just being presumptuous in thinking that perhaps you don't know the answer?

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1222 on: January 17, 2017, 03:45:46 pm »
Well that's Ok then Mr Mathew Anwyl, build your houses and move all the people on to this idyllic agricultural site located close to the famous South Stack Lighthouse. What he doesn't say is it will be near an RSPB bird reserve with some lovely walks nearby, I wonder how that will affect the bird population and visitors to the site. That area is the only thing Holyhead has going for it and he wants to concrete over it to make a fast buck.

Greyhound all new developments have to build a percentage of affordable homes, it's the Golden Ticket to get planning permission from the Council. Developments at Holyhead should be 30%. Anwyl asked the Council in 2015 if they could drop the affordable to make the site more viable, so the amount of affordable housing was reduced from 37 to 22. The builder has to sell the affordable properties for 20% below market value so they hardly make a profit, if at all on them. So the usual ploy is get the permission then once they have it start wriggling out of building the affordable, it's all about profit.  &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1223 on: January 17, 2017, 04:44:21 pm »
Meleri,  I'm sorry to have to say it, but you are spot on with what you have said.    I was only able to buy my first house because in the 1960's they were building estates with one and two bedroom properties and sometimes a third bedroom property and they were "affordable"
Even then I couldn't get a mortgage until a great guy who was a Building Society manager gave me a chance and I'll always be indebted to Mr F for helping me to get on the property ladder.
It's the young local people I feel sorry for now and wish that they did something for them rather than pay lip service to "affordable housing"

I've received a belated reply from the CCBC  regarding some info I was asking about the Penmorfa site but will say something after Greyhound has supplied the info about the numbers of locals and non locals living at the Dorchester apartments.

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #1224 on: January 17, 2017, 04:46:56 pm »
Meleri - yeah I realised that about the affordable element, you're right that companies often try and get around it. I was more surprised that Cartrefi Conwy were extending their remit outside the county. I imagined North Wale s Housing Association or similar would be the more likely agency.

Hugo - I really don't see why you are dragging this topic up again months later, it's a bit pointless. I am hardly going to go through the records of each and every person who has moved into these developments to see if they are local or not. That said, I know personally many people who are local who do live in these developments. So, I cannot speak for all but I can speak for some, which to an extent proved my point. But I will allow you to have your moment of superiority, if you want it, in admitting I cannot say for certain for all statistically. Happy now?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1225 on: January 17, 2017, 05:06:12 pm »
Greyhound,  I thought that you knew the facts and I was interested to know the breakdown,  but you have proved your point if you know many local people  who live in the Dorchester and similar apartments in the town.

My objection to these developers  is that you have the scenario where the tail is wagging the dog and not vice versa.  CCBC should be determining the situation with affordable housing and not the developers.
What chance have the young people of the area getting a foot on the housing ladder if all the builders are interested in is making a fast buck

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1226 on: January 20, 2017, 11:01:10 am »
This is from Facebook.....You know you are from Llandudno thread..... and not a pretty site 6 stories high, here we go again

don't know if people have seen these plans? They are the proposed 51 apartments by Anwyl at Penmorfa West Shore Llandudno. This is the consultation stage until the 13th February. The plans are available to see in the library. These are going to replace the old Penmorfa Hotel. You can contact Anwyl to let them know what you think via their website. The plans are on there as well.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1227 on: January 20, 2017, 01:50:15 pm »
They are the proposed 51 apartments by Anwyl at Penmorfa West Shore Llandudno. This is the consultation stage until the 13th February. The plans are available to see in the library. These are going to replace the old Penmorfa Hotel. You can contact Anwyl to let them know what you think via their website. The plans are on there as well.

Before and after photos via facebook. Wonder if this is being done at CCBC's insistence of modern stuff replacing traditional buildings once again?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1228 on: January 20, 2017, 02:33:56 pm »
Thanks very much Steve for posting that article on Anwyl and the Penmorfa Hotel site and it just confirms to me why I distrust these developers so much.   The circumstances surrounding Anwyl's approach to this development stink as much as the cess pit that lies below the Pier Pavilion site.

In 2006 application was made and granted for demolition of the side annexes of the hotel and erection of 25 apartments with the original building to be retained.

After neglecting to protect the original building Anwyl made an application to demolish the original building on the grounds that it was "not viable" and made an application for 28 apartments.

On 26th June 2008 a letter was issued by CCBC   permitting the development.    Condition No 1 being that the development shall be begun before the expiration of five years from the date of the permission.

The house was demolished immediately but then no further action was taken until 2013 nearly 5 years later ( 19/5/2013    I believe)) when Anwyl "laid a pipe to the site"  and since then no action by Anwyl whatsoever and the land has just been an eyesore for over 12 years in total.

Under the FOI Act I asked CCBC about the pipe and was told that it had been laid and photographed by someone from the CCBC but the pipe had not reached the site of the construction so it was "deemed that the work had not been commenced"
If this was the case then the application in 2008 was out of date.

I have since written to CCBC again and having had no reply I reminded them and this time I was told that work on the site "was deemed to have commenced by the laying of the pipe"    So it's a contradiction of what I was told previously!!

Obviously something has gone on behind the scenes but Anwyl like other developers in the town have exploited every loophole they can in order to made a quick profit.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1229 on: January 20, 2017, 02:59:40 pm »
I have since written to CCBC again and having had no reply I reminded them and this time I was told that work on the site "was deemed to have commenced by the laying of the pipe"    So it's a contradiction of what I was told previously!!

Ah, the well-oiled machinery of the highly professional team in CCBC swings into seamless action  once again...

And politicians express surprise when survey after survey reveals that no one trusts politicians. 

Sadly, there is an attitude of mind around here, which is unlike any I've experienced elsewhere. It's best epitomised by a mental shrug, accompanied by the phrase 'Well, what can anyone do?'.  It's an acceptance that nothing can be done, that the world is simply too overwhelming and these things will happen, come what may.  We need councillors who will ask the right questions, and not simply accept things - which is what the vast majority of our overpaid cabinet do and what most of the councillors do. CCBC is unfit for purpose.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.