Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 575139 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1140 on: February 25, 2016, 04:07:15 pm »
I've been told it's been bought by a prominent hotelier from North Parade and will be a Resturant ready to open for the new season. I just hope he doesn't have problems with his signage.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1141 on: February 26, 2016, 08:19:59 pm »
22 years last week since this absolute tragedy robbed us of the Pier Pavilion... STILL not a damn thing being done to improve the site.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1142 on: February 26, 2016, 10:26:29 pm »
It's a disgrace and the Council should be thoroughly ashamed of their lack of action and failure to address this matter.    It would be a slap in the face for the town if the freeholders of the site could benefit from the Council's incompetence.   

The same goes for the Penmorfa site which hasn't been developed in the 7 or so years since planning was originally granted for the erection of apartments.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1143 on: February 26, 2016, 10:38:28 pm »
How time flies, we stayed at the Esplanade for Valentines week end and left on the day of the fire. We had a walk up to the ski slope in the afternoon and could smell burning as we walked passed but could,nt see any sign of smoke, it was on the news when we got home that the pavilion was on fire. Its hard to believe that was twenty two years ago Still think the sight would make a good underground car park

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1144 on: February 27, 2016, 07:51:58 am »
Snowcap are you telling us you could have saved us from that mess for the last 22 years had you reported the smell.omg

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #1145 on: February 27, 2016, 09:53:23 am »
How time flies, we stayed at the Esplanade for Valentines week end and left on the day of the fire. We had a walk up to the ski slope in the afternoon and could smell burning as we walked passed but could,nt see any sign of smoke, it was on the news when we got home that the pavilion was on fire. Its hard to believe that was twenty two years ago Still think the sight would make a good underground car park

Remember watching it go up

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #1146 on: February 27, 2016, 09:55:48 am »
It's a disgrace and the Council should be thoroughly ashamed of their lack of action and failure to address this matter.    It would be a slap in the face for the town if the freeholders of the site could benefit from the Council's incompetence.   

The same goes for the Penmorfa site which hasn't been developed in the 7 or so years since planning was originally granted for the erection of apartments.

Any idea's what the council should do ????

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1147 on: February 27, 2016, 11:13:57 am »

Any idea's what the council should do ????

The Council is the so called expert and after 22 years it should surely have overcome any problems with the site and freeholder, so any idea I have is irrelevant.

With regard to the Penmorfa Hotel this is different and there you have a builder using loopholes in the Planning Regulations to play for time.     I'm still awaiting a reply from the CCBC to a request I've made under the FOI  Act and will be interested to see the reply.    I've asked specific questions and expect specific answers and not ones which fudge the issue.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1148 on: February 28, 2016, 09:03:23 pm »
Snowcap are you telling us you could have saved us from that mess for the last 22 years had you reported the smell.omg

The Pavilion could not have been saved, even if the Fire Service were called out straight away. 22 septate seats to the Arson, each one with sufficient intensity to destroy the building on its own. My source:- The North Wales arson investigating Fire Officer.

He categorically proved it was deliberate Arson, but just because Mr David Taylor of 11 Castle Street Worcester WR1 3AD (Warwickshire Property Services Ltd.) owned and had the most to gain from the total destruction of the Pavilion, no proof of any wrong doing by him was ever found, nor do I suggest any now 22 years later. The culprit was never found and brought to justice.

That's when the Council should have acted and used the full force of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 c.8 Part VIII, which gave them the ability to force Mr Taylor to restore the Pavilion or Bankrupted him for failing to do so.

We lost a Grade II listed building, which even now CADW has done nothing to protect. Our do nothing County Council have finally incorporated the site into the Hotel Habitation Zone instead of keeping it in the Amenities Zone so some day soon, someone will put a plan in to build another unnecessary Hotel on the site which will totally destroy the character of this end of the Bay
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1149 on: February 28, 2016, 09:39:52 pm »
That's a perfect summary of the situation Blongb.      Deliberate arson, the building was under insured and the Council do absolutely nothing to rectify the matter.

Then to add fuel to the fire (if you excuse the pun) they reclassify the site and the outcome could be that the freeholder could benefit from the Councils incompetence.

Who said crime doesn't pay?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1150 on: February 29, 2016, 10:38:49 am »
Can't have been a very professional Arsonist if he left clear evidence it was arson?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1151 on: February 29, 2016, 10:44:59 am »
Are there 'professional arsonists'?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1152 on: February 29, 2016, 11:03:27 am »
Are there 'professional arsonists'?
I believe there are. Take a look at Brighton West Pier for a good example, which suffered two devastating fires in short succession in 2003, despite the fact that the pier was completely inaccessible from dry land at the time!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:37:52 pm by DaveR »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1153 on: February 29, 2016, 12:01:04 pm »
It has happened in the Conwy and Denbigh areas in recent years when builders have made an application to demolish a listed building in order to build an apartment block.
When the Council has refused the application the building has mysteriously burnt down.
Like I've said already, who said crime doesn't pay?     

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1154 on: February 29, 2016, 12:35:44 pm »
It has happened in the Conwy and Denbigh areas in recent years when builders have made an application to demolish a listed building in order to build an apartment block.
When the Council has refused the application the building has mysteriously burnt down.
Like I've said already, who said crime doesn't pay?   
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-18032686  ;)