Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574841 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2010, 09:20:08 pm »
Imagine the amount of desperate people using the few businesses to join the council's toilet scheme at the Celtic fayre !
I think the Organisers provided a load of Portaloos to cope with the rush.

I was manning a 'wood hut' selling Christmas Cards, there were portaloos, but they were fenced off and everyone was being directed to Tribells.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2010, 09:56:48 pm »
BlongB, I think in your situation I would feel exactly the same.... but I have to wonder how when someone is bursting for a pee they will find time to check the council website, or look for toilet signs on hotel doors.    I might be under-estimating this, but I just can't see it actually happening.
But, I'm not in your position...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2010, 10:13:55 pm »
The toilet list is also on the Town Council site www.llandudno.gov.uk/community-toilet-scheme

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
A sticky problem - Chewing Gum
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2010, 05:56:44 pm »
A very small addition to the Local Eyesores list - this litter bin outside St. Johns Church, Mostyn Street. Disgusting!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2010, 10:51:47 pm »
A very small addition to the Local Eyesores list - this litter bin outside St. Johns Church, Mostyn Street. Disgusting!

Yes, you would have thought it would say "Llandudno" on the side.

Conwy is three miles away.  ???

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2010, 09:14:27 am »
I think the worst issue regarding that bin is all the chewing gum spots round it.  ¢¢##
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2010, 09:21:10 am »
You're right there, you can't blame the seagulls for that mess.     :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2010, 10:05:42 am »
Back in January, I contacted Cllr Mike Priestley (who is the Cabinet Member for the Environment at CCBC) regarding the chewing gum problem on Llandudno's pavements. His reply was:

"I think you raise a fair point regarding Mostyn Street and I totally agree with you that it is a mess. I would however, at this point like to state that chewing gum on pavements is a national problem. I have been looking at this problem and ways to tackle it for some time now and have seen a number of chewing gum removal equipment demonstrations. I have to say, only one has caught my eye. This year I will be looking to purchase some equipment to address the chewing gum problem and will be seeking the best and most efficient system. The biggest problem I see is the length of time it will take to clear a particular road or street of chewing gum. My department is looking into this with a view to working with partners. I can also look to place a business case to have a one-off cleanse followed by our staff keeping on top of the problem.
I am also looking at a three prong attack on this

Education in schools and the media pointing out all the problems this causes

Enforcement – catching and fining those responsible

Cleaning – implementing a cleansing schedule which includes the removal of gum from our pavements

The above, I believe, can make a difference to our streets and pavements and this is an issue I want to tackle."

Sadly, nothing has been done since to remove the chewing gum!

Full blog post:
http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2010/01/concidence-to-chew-over.html

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2010, 10:19:37 am »
It's going way beyond a joke now though. It's worse than cigarette butts. There's just no excuse for not putting gum in the bin, especially when in this case the bin is right there in front of you.  :(
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2010, 10:42:22 am »
I'm fed up with all the dog poo around here, we walked to Rhos on Sea and its along the promenade from Penrhyn Bay, you have to watch out for it on the Little Orme going to Angel Bay yet there are signs up warning of £1000 fines, no excuse at all for it  :rage: I do know that the majority of dog owners do clean up and are responsible owners but as usual its the irresponsible people that let the side down!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Yorkie

« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2010, 10:57:53 am »
Totally useless an ineffective legislation that is not policed or implemented in any way that would create a deterent to any dog owner!    Woof!  Woof!!    And my dog agrees.      L0L

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2010, 01:03:07 pm »
It's going way beyond a joke now though. It's worse than cigarette butts. There's just no excuse for not putting gum in the bin, especially when in this case the bin is right there in front of you.  :(

Don't give up. Petition Getto Bebb to introduce a private members Bill into the House of Commons making it mandatory for the Sugar content of Gum to be increased by 500%. That way once the little darling’s teeth have rotted away they will loose their ability to chew anything.   :-X
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2010, 01:09:54 pm »
In all seriousness, I can't see why a levy can't be placed upon chewing gum manufacturers to pay for the cost of cleaning up their mess.

Yorkie

« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »
Cigarette butts are also causing a mess.  Great piles of the disgusting, filter tipped rubbish out side every shop, office or other building where people have to go outside to follow their filthy habit.    The litter act is another useless piece of Legislation that is not adequately policed.     >>>

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2010, 05:40:46 pm »
Problem with gum is its all to do with role models. How about banning any pictures of Man U's manager from the tele?