Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574613 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #930 on: April 03, 2014, 10:42:42 pm »
Why not do what they do down in Cardiff Bay and build a barrage which could double up as a berthing facility for larger cruise ships?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #931 on: April 03, 2014, 10:52:47 pm »
But, I have to ask, don't these rocks fulfill a vital function?   To protect the town from flooding and the promenade from damage?

As climate change becomes ever more intense, are we not asking for trouble removing the rocks/defences at this time?

I am all for sandy beaches, but with Llandudno being so incredibly low-lying, are we not taking a very dangerous risk?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #932 on: April 03, 2014, 10:59:35 pm »
I have copied this from another thread, where I posted it earlier.... this debate is going on over two threads,apparently.

But, I have to ask, don't these rocks fulfill a vital function?   To protect the town from flooding and the promenade from damage?

As climate change becomes ever more intense, are we not asking for trouble removing the rocks/defences at this time?

I am all for sandy beaches, but with Llandudno being so incredibly low-lying, are we not taking a very dangerous risk?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #933 on: April 04, 2014, 07:37:48 am »
Sorry, F;  I'm just in the process of sorting out the disparate threads which are appearing in topics all over the place on this one subject.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #934 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:18 pm »
West Shore has sand doesn't it? Don't see the problem - Though to be honest I've not been on North Shore beach for about 20 years - too crowded for my liking

Offline Hugo

« Reply #935 on: April 04, 2014, 06:38:19 pm »
West Shore has sand doesn't it? Don't see the problem - Though to be honest I've not been on North Shore beach for about 20 years - too crowded for my liking

Here's a reminder then of what it once looked like.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #936 on: April 04, 2014, 06:53:30 pm »
Pan left and it was full of rocks and stones.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #937 on: April 04, 2014, 08:56:15 pm »
pan left and it was pebbles and sand ,now dirty quarry rocks ,talking to a family member who have ,or should i say had the donkeys ,the council told him they don,t really want him on the beach. 

Offline hollins

« Reply #938 on: April 04, 2014, 10:14:52 pm »
Oh Norman that is so sad. We have such good family memories of the donkey rides.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #939 on: April 04, 2014, 10:21:04 pm »
If the purpose of the stones is to break up the power of Storm Surges, which could undermine the Sea Wall, then it could quite easily have been accomplished by putting in a Rhos style Rock Groin further out in the Bay.

Large Rocks or a proper Breakwater don’t move not even in storm surges, ergo no hard-core ballast required to protect the North Shore, no ongoing cost of recharging the hard-core ballast which is now being done at an ever increasing frequency, locals and visitors gain access to the beach again, Donkeys can use the beach instead of being forced to move over to the West Shore and the Imperial Hotel will be able to recommence their Sand Castle completion……..simples   
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #940 on: April 04, 2014, 10:42:11 pm »
or this:

Why not do what they do down in Cardiff Bay and build a barrage which could double up as a berthing facility for larger cruise ships?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #941 on: April 05, 2014, 08:20:55 am »
If the purpose of the stones is to break up the power of Storm Surges, which could undermine the Sea Wall, then it could quite easily have been accomplished by putting in a Rhos style Rock Groin further out in the Bay.

Cost.

If the purpose of the stones is to break up the power of Storm Surges

Actually, you're conflating two rather different concepts.  The purpose of the stones (as I've said) is to dissipate the energy of the waves. Those waves are often (but not always) caused by a storm.  A storm surge, however, is the dome of water that rises beneath an area of extremely low pressure centre and which is being pushed by near-hurricane strength winds towards land, resulting in an exceptionally high tide. Very little can withstand those, especially if they occur on or very close to a Spring tide.

In the UK, we also have some of the highest tidal ranges in the world. The top seven are in Nova Scotia, while we come in at number 8, which gives some indication of just how extreme our normal tides can be. Spring tides (not to be confused with a season) can occur every couple of weeks, when a syzygy between Earth , Moon and Sun occurs. However, these monthly cycles are not the extremes, as the proximity of the Moon to Earth is also an important factor. At perigee (closest) we experience what most refer to as 'Spring tides' which can be significantly greater than usual.

What it comes down to is that we can engineer our way out of it through groynes, or berthing facilities or a hydroelectric scheme, but only providing both the political will exists and the money can be found.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:11:17 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline mull

« Reply #942 on: April 05, 2014, 08:58:42 am »
Spring tides occur roughly every 2 weeks.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #943 on: April 05, 2014, 10:05:54 am »
Spring tides occur roughly every 2 weeks.

They do, and I should have made that clearer. I've added a line to explain the perigean spring tides, which is what many think of as Spring tides.

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #944 on: April 05, 2014, 10:39:42 pm »
Sorry wrong thread about the waste ground ,why not just raise the height of the prom it would only cost about 25million as a guess .