Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574386 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2010, 04:47:45 pm »
I seem to remember reading in the NWWN at the time that the roof of Venue Cymru was built like that to withstand the strong winds at Llandudno.
I did think that the explanation was strange as there is no other building like that in Llandudno.
It's a bit like the carbuncle on the top of Conwy Town Hall.

Offline tolly

• To be the part....!
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2010, 12:58:14 am »
Yes unfortunately,we should do something about theses "eyesores" before it's too late...... :(

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2010, 09:49:03 pm »
 ::) I wonder if Llandudno railway station has survived the welsh assembly cuts today or will we be left with the hoardings for years to come.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2010, 10:43:43 am »
I sincerely hope so, Wrex!

I was told that there had been a lot of activity at another of the premises on the 'Local Eysores' list this week, the Rhos Harbour Bistro, so I went to have a look. I was told that the kitchen equipment and furniture had been removed and taken away. Well, what a mess awaited me - there were old fridges and kitchen equipment scattered around the outside of the cafe and the inside looked as if it had been ransacked. Whoever takes it on is going to have their work cut out!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2010, 08:33:33 pm »
I have not heard a peep about three MAJOR topics which have been aired over the last few months.
One article ... one news report.... a flurry of blogs... then NOTHING.

1, Pier Pavilion
2, Colwyn Bay Pier
3, Clarence Hotel / Tudno Castle

Please tell me I'm wrong, and I've missed some positive progress?

APATHY REIGNS SUPREME ONCE AGAIN  :rage: :( :(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2010, 08:43:41 pm »
Please tell me I'm wrong, and I've missed some positive progress?
No, you're quite right, sadly. No progress whatsoever.  :(

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »
I've read all the comments on other people’s eyesores and quite forgot until this evening to mention the closed Public Toilets that are boarded up at the beginning of Happy Valley Road in Llandudno. They were the first public Loo's to be opened in the town and even if it does cost a lot to reopen them, the need is still there. One of the saddest sites you can whiteness is just before the start of one of the periodic races around the Orme. Up to 500 runners all looking for somewhere to go. The path up to the Cable Car gets a really good watering I can tell you. CCBC response was to offer me a couple of hundred pounds if I would let the general public come in and use the first floor Loo in my place, I think not! Open or shut the council still has to pay Rates on the premises, and the current rateable value on just these loo’s is £3550.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2010, 11:09:27 am »
Imagine the amount of desperate people using the few businesses to join the council's toilet scheme at the Celtic fayre !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2010, 11:16:43 am »
I've read all the comments on other people’s eyesores and quite forgot until this evening to mention the closed Public Toilets that are boarded up at the beginning of Happy Valley Road in Llandudno. They were the first public Loo's to be opened in the town and even if it does cost a lot to reopen them, the need is still there. One of the saddest sites you can whiteness is just before the start of one of the periodic races around the Orme. Up to 500 runners all looking for somewhere to go. The path up to the Cable Car gets a really good watering I can tell you. CCBC response was to offer me a couple of hundred pounds if I would let the general public come in and use the first floor Loo in my place, I think not! Open or shut the council still has to pay Rates on the premises, and the current rateable value on just these loo’s is £3550.
Have you noticed that some kind soul has removed one of the boards covering the broken skylights on the roof?

Back In April, I actually enquired about buying the old toilet block (for conversion into a small workshop/office/retail) but, guess what, after some initial enthusiasm, I'm still waiting to hear back from CCBC. The Freehold is owned by, who else, Mostyn Estates, and CCBC have a Long Lease on the site.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2010, 11:17:45 am »
Imagine the amount of desperate people using the few businesses to join the council's toilet scheme at the Celtic fayre !
I think the Organisers provided a load of Portaloos to cope with the rush.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2010, 03:44:52 pm »
Have you noticed that some kind soul has removed one of the boards covering the broken skylights on the roof?
I had occasion to be up on that roof with an RSPCA Inspector quite recently, whilst rescuing an injured fox cub. Not only has the “kind soul" removed one of the skylight boards but they have also smashed up every piece of porcelain inside to boot. The mindlessness of it beggars belief

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2010, 04:10:30 pm »
BlongB, if I were you I would TAKE the council's £200 safe in the knowledge that no one will ever use your 1st floor loo.
Its free money.

This scheme is a joke, because the general public would never realise that they could avail themselves in a private business.

Hell, most people wouldn't dare go into a pub just to use the loo.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2010, 05:24:36 pm »
Hell, most people wouldn't dare go into a pub just to use the loo.

I have several times D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2010, 05:25:46 pm »
I had occasion to be up on that roof with an RSPCA Inspector quite recently, whilst rescuing an injured fox cub. Not only has the “kind soul" removed one of the skylight boards but they have also smashed up every piece of porcelain inside to boot. The mindlessness of it beggars belief
Oh dear. Have you informed CCBC?

Offline Blongb

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2010, 09:15:08 pm »
Oh dear. Have you informed CCBC?

Yes Dave, they got an E-mail about it, which I sent to the Environment Dept. As for Festers idea of just taking the money no can do. You can't refuse entry and you have to display a sign on your door to say that your Loo is open for the public to use. The Council publishes a very nice list of all the premises in the scheme on their website. That for us would amounts to a public invitation to every thief for a 100 miles to come and pay a visit. I just hope anyone thinking of taking the money talks to their Insurance Co. first.  http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=7840&doc=26345