Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574240 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #525 on: February 06, 2012, 01:04:59 am »
The agent involved last time the Tudno Castle development was advertised was Mason and Owen.

This time, I can't find it listed online as yet.   Are we talking demolition do you think?  I hope it can be avoided.

The sign outside the Tudno Castle mentions 'Prescott and Partners'
I was driving, but I think that is what it said.
The only reference I can find on Google talks about Prescott and Partners leasing a hotel in London to expand their 'fine dining experience'    *&( *&(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian48

« Reply #526 on: February 07, 2012, 09:52:59 am »
http://www.mccarthyandstone.co.uk/property-for-sale/llandudno.html

Here is a link to McCarthy and Stone's development at Plas y Dre. The blurb says:

"Construction of the 42 one and two bedroom development is expected to begin in March 2013 with first sales in July  2013. First occupations are anticipated in March 2014".

Seems an awfully long time to wait. Their development at Cwrt San Tudno was one of their quickest ever sellers so you'd have thought they would get this done quickly. They are due to be given planning permission this week. Maybe the economy? Although older people are far less affected by the downturn in the housing market in many respects, as opposed to struggling first-time buyers.

I was also thinking about the Tudno Castle. It would make a great Waitrose on the ground floor, with apartments/hotel above. Probably about as big a floor area as their Menai Bridge store too.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #527 on: February 07, 2012, 10:53:42 am »
That's a good idea about the Tudno Castle. Waitrose on ground floor, with a Premier Inn above.  The only drawback with the plan may be Parking, or rather, the lack of it.

I must try and find out how much it is on the market for.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2012, 06:30:01 pm »
Bodhyfryd Rd in Llandudno will be closed to all traffic from Masonic St from 1-3-12 to 21-12-12 for construction work at the Clarence Hotel

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #529 on: February 12, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »
I hope that the Elms Hotel will be sold shortly and will not need to go on the Eyesores list.It's been reduced to £375k if anyone is interested.  ;)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #530 on: February 14, 2012, 03:45:07 pm »
Colin Flannigan of St David's Commercial has purchased Billingtons and has 'exciting ideas' for it.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #531 on: February 14, 2012, 04:32:22 pm »
Knowing Colin that will be a lap dancing cllub then.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #532 on: February 15, 2012, 01:37:17 pm »
I hope that the Elms Hotel will be sold shortly and will not need to go on the Eyesores list.It's been reduced to £375k if anyone is interested.  ;)
Check out Eddisons latest sales catalogue Dave on the 21 February 2012 http://www.eddisons.com/property-auctions/online-catalogue/163-24/ The guide price is now listed at £250,000 plus. It sounds cheap at that price but take my word for it, Its not. The damage that has been done to the property has to be seen to be believed. When I think back to the amount of hard work and money put into the Elms by Willy and Doreen Zwibbden it makes me weep. At the peak of the property boom it was up for sale at £760,000. How times have changed.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #533 on: February 16, 2012, 07:13:05 pm »
I went past the Washington today and was shocked at how tatty it looked. Part of the pavement is even fenced off to protect pedestrians from falling render.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #534 on: February 17, 2012, 08:55:16 am »
Re the previous posting about Hafodunos Hall-- I spotted this little snippit this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-16965497

Anyone any idea which graveyard she is buried in ? It looks very like St Michaels in Betwys, but I don't think that the outer stonework there is white.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #535 on: February 17, 2012, 10:02:45 am »
Surely it will be the one in Llangernyw? It's in the centre of the village just down the lane from Hafodunos.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #536 on: February 17, 2012, 09:41:42 pm »
It's been well over a year since I posted this original list of Local Eyesores, so let's review progress. Please mention any additions etc that you think are needed.

Llandudno

Pier Pavilion site  Click here to go to post No Progress
Clarence Hotel Work is just starting to convert it into a Travelodge with two restaurants on the ground floor.
Tudno Castle Hotel  Click here to go to post Premier Inn and Retail Units in pipeline
Railway Station No Progress
Penmorfa Click here to go to post No Progress
Derelict site, Parc Llandudno No Progress
Derelicts Flats, Deganwy Ave Renovation work underway
Augusta Holiday Flats, Augusta Street No Progress

Deganwy

Deganwy Castle Hotel Click here to go to post
Plans in progress to convert to Boutique Hotel & Apartments

Conwy

Billingtons Garage Click here to go to post New owner. Awaiting demolition.
Black Lion Click here to go to post No Progress
Fruit N Fibre Shop  Click here to go to post No Progress
Red Lion/'The Bombsite'  Click here to go to post No Progress
The Cockpit No Progress
Butterfly Jungle
Site cleared. Work starting to build Birds Of Prey Centre.

Colwyn Bay

Colwyn Bay Pier Click here to go to post No Progress
Rhos Harbour Bistro Click here to go to post Plans announced but no money to move scheme forward.
A & A Cash & Carry, Abergele Road Click here to go to post
Available To Let but no renovation work carried out.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #537 on: February 17, 2012, 10:14:54 pm »
In summary then, very little has actually been done.... only 'work commencing' on a few.  &shake&

Don't forget, many other eyesores have been added since that original list.

My own house was on the eyesore list for 12 months... until The Great Brian Thomas took control of the situation!  ZXZ
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #538 on: February 18, 2012, 01:57:02 pm »
Billingtons' Garage, Conwy

Two men with a digger clearing and tidying up the frontage at present.

Don't think the digger is big enough to demolish the building, although parts of it look as if a good gust of wind would!!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #539 on: February 18, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »
Derelict site,Parc Llandudno .New plans have been past so we are waiting for a start.