Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574779 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #420 on: August 19, 2011, 07:36:56 am »
 :( With the state of the Tudno Castle and theIrish owners pleading poverty why don;t they put it in the market and offload ,there has to be more to it,when we get the next big storm bits are going to be flying and falling of the building straight onto Mostyn Broadway causeing somebody an injury. :'(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #421 on: August 19, 2011, 09:25:08 am »
Interesting to see that Travelodge are continuing their push into Conwy County with plans to open one in Betws Y Coed....

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #422 on: August 19, 2011, 09:51:38 am »
Asbestos firm in the Clarence today, nice to see things moving. Z**

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #423 on: August 19, 2011, 12:18:49 pm »
Let's face it we are never going to get a new modern train station it's all bull.

Offline Anthony.G

« Reply #424 on: August 19, 2011, 05:19:31 pm »
sorry anthony WE are talking about  CCBC we have 2 long standing councilers who represent that ward ,quite a few buildings are ruins and they don,t seem to be bothered so i don,t know why they keep going in the elections  umm wonder why

On our last visit to Llandudno we went on the red open top bus and the running commentry that we listened to made much reference to the Mostyn Estate's involvment with Llandudno.
   This may seem silly but how much influence does the Mostyn Estate have now and could they be approached about the derelict buildings and land in the town?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #425 on: August 19, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »
Mostyn Estates don't own the Clarence Hotel, Pier Pavilion site or Railway Station. They may own the Freehold of the Tudno Castle Hotel but, if so, it will probably be on a 999 year lease, so their powers over it are probably quite limited or I would have thought they would have done something, especially since as they have to look out at it every day from their offices. Mostyn Estates staff do read the forum, perhaps one of them would like to comment?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #426 on: August 19, 2011, 05:39:42 pm »
A small eyesore which I am attempting to have tackled....I've emailed Cllr Mike Priestley regarding the Shelter in Haulfre Gardens which is falling to bits and asked him to see if anything can be done about it. He's replied, saying he will look into it and report back to me. I'll let you know what he says.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #427 on: August 19, 2011, 07:07:31 pm »
A small eyesore which I am attempting to have tackled....I've emailed Cllr Mike Priestley regarding the Shelter in Haulfre Gardens which is falling to bits and asked him to see if anything can be done about it. He's replied, saying he will look into it and report back to me. I'll let you know what he says.
I've received a reply from Cllr. Priestley - he is arranging for a Contractor to assess the Shelter with a view to carrying out repairs. Hopefully, the cost will not be high and the work can be carried out.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: August 20, 2011, 07:13:14 pm »
The disintegrating Tudno Castle Hotel:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #429 on: August 21, 2011, 08:14:46 am »
There is one local who seems to live at the side of the station ,now he is forever burning stuff, come winter he is going to be looking for shelter and one guesses he will endup inside the Tudno Castle setting fire to any old wood,problem is alchol ,he gets so drunk he is liable to set the whole place alight. If you walk past the hotel it is possible to throw a fag stump through the broken glass onto a settee,they are asking for it to go up,it would solve their cadw problem. WWW

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #430 on: August 21, 2011, 09:08:51 am »
I noticed a few new broken windows when I walked past yesterday. The Council should force the Owners to secure the building properly.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #431 on: August 21, 2011, 02:38:56 pm »
This issue of homeless alcoholics setting fire to a building providing a roof, of sorts, over their heads---this has happened several times in Rhyl, the most ill famous being the lovely Grange Hotel. On youtube there is a video of the owner going around the wreck, nearly in tears.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #432 on: August 21, 2011, 03:03:59 pm »
This issue of homeless alcoholics setting fire to a building providing a roof, of sorts, over their heads---this has happened several times in Rhyl, the most ill famous being the lovely Grange Hotel. On youtube there is a video of the owner going around the wreck, nearly in tears.

It was a nice place in it's time and I've enjoyed many drinking sessions there in the past.  I believe that an application was made to convert the building to apartments but was refused on various grounds including that it was a listed building.

There have been other cases in the area notably in Rhos on sea and Abergele where planning permission was refused for conversion of the listed buildings into apartments and then the  buildings were closed.   Then fires were mysteriously started in them and the damage was so bad that the listed buildings had to be demolished and then of course there was no objection to the building of apartments on the site.  Perhaps I'm cynical in my old age but the tears that those two owners were shedding would have been tears of joy.     $hands$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #433 on: August 25, 2011, 02:19:44 am »
Asbestos firm in the Clarence today, nice to see things moving. Z**

That's nothing to be sniffed at Wrex.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #434 on: August 25, 2011, 05:47:57 pm »
 :) What is the next stage with the Tudno Castle ,Mr Rivers has had his say and i suspect it it did burn the developers would be quite happy hence the real lack of security. As i have said the next big storm will bring a lot of debri down from that building and the developers need this pointing out , lucky for them there is a doctors surgery opposite.