Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574697 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2011, 10:34:47 am »
It looks awful. Who owns this property - they should be ashamed?!
I have been told by a couple of people the owner is Alan Skips? (Aberconwy Skip Hire) I don't know him.
It's all a bit odd. Why leave a building like that derelict for so long when it could be earning money in the form of rent? Why start work to renovate it and then just stop halfway through? Makes no sense!  ???

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2011, 10:56:13 am »
That's what I meant by restrictions regarding building regs Dave.  From what I've been told the owner has had a nightmare with the Council added to the fact that an awful lot of building work has been shelved due to the economic climate at the moment.  Y'know it makes you think, the guy who owns the Black Lion wants a change of use for the premises so it can be residential.  What possible reason would the council have to block that?  I mean Conwy doesn't need another Cafe and the owners could restore the Black Lion to it's former glory.  Yet on the other hand if the Council dig their heels in and block plans left right and centre they could enforce a Compulsory Purchase on it and get the property cheaply and then probably do what they want.  Look at Bodlondeb how do you think the Council acquired that? 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2011, 06:50:27 pm »
That's what I meant by restrictions regarding building regs Dave.  From what I've been told the owner has had a nightmare with the Council added to the fact that an awful lot of building work has been shelved due to the economic climate at the moment.
I'd believe that if no other building/renovation work ever went on in Conwy but....  ;)

Y'know it makes you think, the guy who owns the Black Lion wants a change of use for the premises so it can be residential.  What possible reason would the council have to block that?  I mean Conwy doesn't need another Cafe and the owners could restore the Black Lion to it's former glory.

It's been blocked because the owners want to basically rip out what's left of the interior and b****r about with it. It's not just CCBC opposing their plans, several independent conservation organisations are too:

"Proposals to turn the building back into a single domestic dwelling have not been opposed by the CBA, but we objected to the removal of historic fabric by the proposed addition of three ensuite bathrooms and the removal of internal walls. The case also raised concerns over the public accessibility of the archaeological report, which the owner is presently not willing to make available, a position that the CBA considers to be deplorable." http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba116/update.shtml

Yet on the other hand if the Council dig their heels in and block plans left right and centre they could enforce a Compulsory Purchase on it and get the property cheaply and then probably do what they want.  Look at Bodlondeb how do you think the Council acquired that?  
That's not the way it works. The owner can appeal to WAG if they are unhappy with a Planning Decision and it can be overturned if WAG believe the rules have not been correctly applied. CPOs have to be carried out at market value, which is determined by an independent surveyor. I believe Bodlondeb was purchased on the open market many years ago, rather than by CPO, but am happy to be proved wrong.  :)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2011, 09:25:35 pm »
 ;) Although we have been thobbed of with lies about when the station plans are to start over the last eleven years ,it does look as if it might get started this year and with the Clarence being besieged by surveyors and

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2011, 09:37:04 pm »
and DFS coming to the old halfords things seem to be improving and we may lose the odd eyesore or two,the biggest problem remains the empty shops and i cannot see how all of them will ever be taken again. :'(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: April 13, 2011, 09:40:01 pm »
The shops on Mostyn Street would all be let if the rents were realistic.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2011, 11:34:42 am »
I read that DFS is coming to the old MFI shop.  Is that wrong?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2011, 11:40:52 am »
I read that DFS is coming to the old MFI shop.  Is that wrong?
Yes, they're going to the old Halfords unit, I believe.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #263 on: April 16, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »
Here comes another Angiegram.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the new coastal initiative put forward by the council didn't include the pier?  At the end of the day they will do exactly what they like wasting huge amounts of cash in the process.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2011, 07:49:29 pm »
I noticed that the Tudno Castle Castle Hotel in Llandudno is deteriorating rapidly, this chimney stack at the rear of the building looks to be in danger of imminent collapse:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #265 on: May 07, 2011, 07:47:24 am »
 :( As Cll G Robbins prepares to take over as town mayor i think he needs to bring these eyesores to attention of his fellow councillors because i think they have once again given up on them all.We have two positives,the surveyors all over the Clarence,the station[still no date though],oh ;and the old Halfords so come on Gregg lets take the Pier Pavillion,Tudno Castle,Parc Llandudno[hoardings for TK MAXX ],Elsinore Hotel and all the other eyesores on to your year in office and prove that for once a new mayor can make a difference. ZXZ

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #266 on: May 07, 2011, 07:57:59 am »
The Town Council have no power to do anything.   All Town Council Meetings are less efficient and effective that a WI knitting circle!   They can't even reply to simple letters, refuse to acknowledge electronic mail and ride roughshod over the laws of the Land. 

They care nothing for their electorate once the polls have closed and do as little as possible until it's time for one to vote for them again.

All the Mayors seem to do is take every opportunity to get their name and face in the press and stand alongside everyone who is actually doing something in the hope that they will also receive some kudos.

A kindergarden class could do a better job.  Get rid of the old boys who have been there for years and get some new young blood with spirit and the determination to do something for the Town.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #267 on: May 07, 2011, 09:44:25 am »
Are the Town Councillors elected? 

Online Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #268 on: May 07, 2011, 10:13:05 am »
I noticed that the Tudno Castle Castle Hotel in Llandudno is deteriorating rapidly, this chimney stack at the rear of the building looks to be in danger of imminent collapse:

Oh shucks, it is beginning to look at as if the property will soon have to be knocked down.  :-}}}

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: May 07, 2011, 11:20:15 am »

Oh shucks, it is beginning to look at as if the property will soon have to be knocked down.  :-}}}

Sadly, it looks as though that will almost certainly be the case. The entire building is crumbling so badly now that renovation will not be economically viable.