Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 576047 times)

Offline Paddy

Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #240 on: March 26, 2011, 12:37:02 pm »
now if only they could install some lights inside  :roll:
If they did that you'd be able to see who was drinking in there and that would not be good for business!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Llandudno railway station
« Reply #241 on: March 28, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »
 :( Well here we are nearly at the lastest deadline for the development,as far as i remember[there have been so many] they are waiting for the end of the financial year then ,who knows,we have been fobbed of so many times,CLL P Evans needs to inform us as Llandudno;s transport  man where we are at.Of course it will be Cll J Weyman who will be the only county councillor with the decency to inform us and of course he does;nt even live in town,but we do appreciate your involment Jason,thanks. Z**

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
Re: Llandudno railway station
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:18 pm »
:( Well here we are nearly at the lastest deadline for the development,as far as i remember[there have been so many] they are waiting for the end of the financial year then ,who knows,we have been fobbed of so many times,CLL P Evans needs to inform us as Llandudno;s transport  man where we are at.Of course it will be Cll J Weyman who will be the only county councillor with the decency to inform us and of course he does;nt even live in town,but we do appreciate your involment Jason,thanks. Z**

Hi wrex
I have asked a couple of questions and just received this latest info.
A grant submission has been submitted to the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) some 5 weeks ago.
The bid was a joint bid between Network Rail and CCBC.
To submit the bid Network Rail had to have a tender price, which was sort earlier this year.
We have yet to receive any feedback from ERDF.

Once the grant is approved Network Rail will be a position to award the contract.
The officer has still said the contract will be awarded this financial year and the work will be completed in the following year.
That's the best I have got for now
Jason

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2011, 10:18:43 pm »
 :) Thanks Jason. ;)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:32 pm »
Good news in the Weekly News that Billingtons Garage is to be demolished.

"ONE of the biggest eyesores in Conwy could finally be demolished by the summer. Muller Property Holdings, owners of the dilapidated Llanrwst Road site, have lost their appeal against Conwy County Council’s demolition order at Llandudno Magistrates Court, and have to pay £4,000 costs to the authority. Last October Conwy served a notice requiring the demolition of the building and clearance of the site, and the Cheshire-based property developer appealed against it. They now have less than three weeks to appeal against the district judge’s decision. If they don’t lodge another appeal, the notice will take a month to take effect, and the company will have another month to comply with it. If they don’t comply, Conwy Council could step in to demolish the former garage itself, and would charge Muller for the work."

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/04/07/billington-s-garage-in-conwy-could-be-demolished-by-the-summer-55243-28472399/

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #245 on: April 07, 2011, 01:00:09 pm »
I think the old "Little Chef" premises at Dwygyfylchi on the west bound carriageway of the A55 should be included in this category - it has been closed for some time now and looks very dilapidated. I was told in the petrol station recently that the premises (that's the former Little Chef ones), are available for lease.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:45:22 pm by Bellringer »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: April 07, 2011, 01:19:40 pm »
I think the old "Little Chef" premises on the west bound carriageway of the A55 should be included in this category - it has been closed for some time now and looks very dilapidated. I was told in the petrol station recently that the premises (that's the former Little Chef ones), are available for lease.
I've always wondered why someone hasn't reopened that old Little Chef in the same way as the 55 Diner in Llanddulas, a locally owned business providing good quality food and drink. I believe the rental on the old Little Chef is only £15,000 a year.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #247 on: April 07, 2011, 01:49:54 pm »
I think it true to say that when it was open, it was seldom very busy. Strange really because with the garage/petrol station adjacent it was an excellent stopover for fuel and toilets etc. and a splendid viewpoint. There is/was also the footbridge across to the other carriageway and the beach.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2011, 06:08:33 pm »
I've enjoyed a few nice meals there but as you say Bellringer, it was never packed.    The fact that there are other services like Llanddulas and Bodelwydden on the west bound lane could have made the Little Chef at Pen unviable.      :(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: April 08, 2011, 05:00:45 pm »
Rather worryingly, it seems as though those who campaigned against the wind farms off Llandudno might have had a point

A new analysis of wind energy supplied to the UK National Grid in recent years has shown that wind farms produce significantly less electricity than had been thought, and that they cause more problems for the Grid than had been believed.

The report (28-page PDF/944 KB) was commissioned by conservation charity the John Muir Trust and carried out by consulting engineer Stuart Young. It measured electricity actually metered as being delivered to the National Grid.

In general it tends to be assumed that a wind farm will generate an average of 30 per cent of its maximum capacity over time. However the new study shows that this is actually untrue, with the turbines measured by the Grid turning in performances which were significantly worse:

Average output from wind was 27.18% of metered capacity in 2009, 21.14% in 2010, and 24.08% between November 2008 and December 2010 inclusive.

Full article here
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #250 on: April 08, 2011, 05:13:08 pm »
I noticed the scaffolding was being taken down from the old Fruit and Fibre building in Conwy today.  There's rumours that council are going to put a "Compulsory Purchase" order on it.  Apparently the Council had instructed the firm to remove the scaffolding from the property.  So now with no protection at all the building will no doubt deteriorate further.
It must be difficult for the owner too, restrictions apply to graded buildings like this one.  The same problem applies to the Black Lion I suppose.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2011, 05:25:51 pm »
The scaffolding isn't protecting the property, it's just there to allow access to remove the old rendering. This building has been an eyesore for 20+ years, if the owner can't sort it out in that time, then they deserve to lose it. It's about time the Planning Dept started taking a far tougher line with the owners of these eyesores - they are fully aware a building is Listed before they buy it, so there really is no excuse.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #252 on: April 08, 2011, 10:12:45 pm »
It's not safe either, the roof has been done but large bricks round the windows round the side are loose.  If thats the case it would probably have been a better idea to leave the scaffolding up, at least it was covered, now it's open to the elements and pigeons.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2011, 08:02:52 am »
It looks awful. Who owns this property - they should be ashamed?!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #254 on: April 09, 2011, 09:48:18 am »
It looks awful. Who owns this property - they should be ashamed?!
I have been told by a couple of people the owner is Alan Skips? (Aberconwy Skip Hire) I don't know him.