Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 575255 times)

brumbob

Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2011, 06:47:02 pm »
The huge block of flats between Llewellyn Ave, Church Walks and Water Street. They are in what would have been the Royal Hotel's car park or garden and are totally out of keeping with the town.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:25 pm »
Colin Jones used to run our local youth club in Pen.  He was there for years.  I haven't seen him for a few years now, if you do Barbiroli will you give him my regards.  Thanks  :D

Pendragon, your regards conveyed to Colin, sends his best wishes.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2011, 10:33:19 pm »
Aah I'm made up, thanks very much for that Barbiroli  :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35:37 am »
You`re welcome Angie

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2011, 08:56:48 pm »
Some news on the The Black Lion, 11 Castle St, from the Council for British Archaeology:

"The former Black Lion pub (Y Llew Du) is a striking building in the medieval town of Conwy. It was thought to have been built in 1589 by the vicar of Conwy, John Brickdall. Converted into a public house in the 1700s, it was a venue for the Monday morning pig market and then used for other commercial activities in the 20th century. It has stood empty since the 1990s. A recent archaeological survey commissioned by the owner suggests the building may perhaps be of 15th century date.

Proposals to turn the building back into a single domestic dwelling have not been opposed by the CBA, but we objected to the removal of historic fabric by the proposed addition of three ensuite bathrooms and the removal of internal walls. The case also raised concerns over the public accessibility of the archaeological report, which the owner is presently not willing to make available, a position that the CBA considers to be deplorable."

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba116/update.shtml

Doesn't sound too promising....  :(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2011, 04:14:12 pm »
The latest addition to the list is this block of former holiday flats on Rhos Promenade. It's been up for sale for about a year now and has become steadily more dilapidated. You'd have thought it would have been snapped up, as it has great views across the Bay of Colwyn:

brumbob

« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:16 pm »
That's a weird place, the ground floor is distinctly two properties but above that who owns what part is anybodies guess

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2011, 07:42:05 pm »
That's a weird place, the ground floor is distinctly two properties but above that who owns what part is anybodies guess
I'd never noticed that until you said! Maybe originally one building but split into two at some pint?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2011, 08:35:46 am »
With thanks to Jason who spotted this....

Enterprise Inns sold Deganwy Castle Hotel in North Wales

UK - Enterprise Inns, represented by Savills, has sold Deganwy Castle Hotel on Station Road in Deganwy, North Wales to Charter Homes from a guide price of £1 million. he locally renowned Grade II listed property dates back to the 17th Century and comprises 31 en-suite bedrooms, a bar, restaurant and function room. There is also a leisure complex with an indoor heated swimming pool, gym and sauna. Furthermore, the hotel is located close to Deganwy rail station and benefits from extensive views over the Conwy Estuary, Conwy Marina and North Wales coastline.

Charter Homes are good buddies with Charlie Lynch...watch out Deganwy...  :o

brumbob

« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2011, 08:48:53 am »
So it's going to end up like this  :(
http://www.charterhomes.net/waters_edge_llandudno.php

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2011, 09:03:25 pm »
It shoudn't Brumbob because part of Deganwy Castle Hotel is a listed building BUT remember Penmorfa ( that wasn't a listed building ) and how Anwyl got round planning regs.
The buyer will have a plan of action though to get round it so I hope Jason W and other Councillors can keep their eye on this one.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2011, 10:59:53 am »
We certainly are keeping a very close eye on the DCH.
I have been in discussion with Council officers since before Christmas when the first rumours of who the new owners could be came through.
I have a commitment that the Council will not be using this site to house any of its housing clients.
The whole building is in fact Grade II listed, but some areas are more important then other. To be honest some of the more recent adaptions around the back have no architectual or historic merit.
I believe plans are being developed for the site and we look forward to them coming forward. the rumours are that it may be part residential - part hotel.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2011, 11:04:09 am »
We certainly are keeping a very close eye on the DCH.
I have been in discussion with Council officers since before Christmas when the first rumours of who the new owners could be came through.
I have a commitment that the Council will not be using this site to house any of its housing clients.
The whole building is in fact Grade II listed, but some areas are more important then other. To be honest some of the more recent adaptions around the back have no architectual or historic merit.
I believe plans are being developed for the site and we look forward to them coming forward. the rumours are that it may be part residential - part hotel.
Thanks for the update, Jason.  :)

Certainly, some parts of the building would benefit from demolition!

It would be wise to be wary of the part residential/part hotel scheme. How long would it be before the Hotel mysteriously starts making a loss and the developer will 'sadly have no option' but to close it and put in for PP to convert to apartments....

Offline Paddy

« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27:16 pm »
Nice to see the scaffolding being dropped from the Palladium. The building looks great. I think we're really lucky that Wetherspoon's bought it as I can't imagine any other chain investing so much money.

brumbob

« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2011, 12:31:42 pm »
now if only they could install some lights inside  :roll: