Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574924 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1440 on: April 25, 2020, 11:34:48 am »
The Penthouse there is still available if you are interested Steve?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1441 on: May 16, 2020, 11:02:23 am »
Forty five of North Wales' most historic listed properties - with some on the brink of being lost
The region is packed full of heritage but many buildings are now in a critical condition according to Save Britain's Heritage.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/property/forty-five-north-wales-most-18244981

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1442 on: May 16, 2020, 02:51:18 pm »
It is nice to know that the future of the Engedi Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church looks promising now that plans are in the pipeline for conversion into apartments.   It has been an eyesore for years
The Engedi Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, on Woodland Road West in Colwyn Bay, first opened its doors to worshipers in 1879. The Methodist church closed in 1987 and the building was then used as a place of worship by the Elim Pentecostal Church in the 1990s before falling into disuse around the turn of the millennium.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1443 on: June 06, 2020, 10:48:52 am »
Controversial plans for a co-op in Conwy withdrawn ..... but for now only

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/controversial-co-op-plan-next-18372143

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1444 on: June 09, 2020, 03:45:03 pm »
I wonder how long the people living in these nice apartments will have to wait before the eyesore next door starts getting developed?
More importantly will Anwyl try to design apartments that blend in with the surroundings?          &shake

Anwyl should be ashamed of the way that they have treated Llandudno and it hasn't done their reputation any favours either

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1445 on: June 10, 2020, 08:11:14 am »
I had a quick look at the Pier Pavilion site while I was in Llandudno yesterday but nothing has changed since I last saw it apart from the fact that the water level seemed to have gone down
What's Waldron up to nowadays?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1446 on: June 10, 2020, 03:11:34 pm »
I had a quick look at the Pier Pavilion site while I was in Llandudno yesterday but nothing has changed since I last saw it apart from the fact that the water level seemed to have gone down
What's Waldron up to nowadays?

Water levels in the pit go up or dowm depending on the hight of the tides Hugo. Spring tides with a good North Easterly blowing and the levels go up, Neap tides with Westerlies and the level fall, Just as an aside, did you happen to notice the rats running around in broad daylight at the back of the Amusment Arcade. 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1447 on: June 10, 2020, 03:26:53 pm »
The rat population will be having a field day with all these unoccupied buildings.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1448 on: August 12, 2020, 06:42:27 pm »
Not content with messing Llandudno and the CCBC  about with their tactics Anwyl Construction are now doing the same trick in Abergele.

They have already got planning permission for a controversial 73  home scheme in Abergele and the company has now applied to change a third of them and add eight more

In Llandudno as everyone may know,  Anwyl applied to have 25 apartments built on the site of the Penmorfa Hotel.   Permission was granted on condition that the original part of the hotel remained and the side extensions could be demolished.
Anwyl demolished the side extensions But neglected the original section then applied for that to be demolished ( as it wasn't viable ) but applied for a further three apartments to be built.
They demolished the central section immediately after permission was granted but the did nothing else whatsoever. and the planning application's time limit has long since expired
A half baked Lego style of 54 apartments was touted around but nothing seems to have happened to that now and Llandudno is not on the Anwyl radar for 2020 anyway so it's time that CCBC made enquiries with Anwyl to see what their intension is for  the Penmorfa eyesore 

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1449 on: August 12, 2020, 08:08:36 pm »
HUGO I think Anwyl`s site in Abergele is  I believe is in partnership with a Housing Association and by press reports  it is no less controversial and you can be certain it will be profitable  to Anwyl .as will the West Shore development ,I think you can be certain that with CCBC track record the 54 apartment scheme will be the most likely outcome . 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1450 on: November 17, 2020, 03:34:33 pm »
Looking back on the Artist's impression of what the Penmorfa apartments would look like,  I think that they looked really nice and would have fitted in very well with the surrounding properties.
The only trouble for Anwyl  is that there were only 28 apartments in their plan in 2006 and since then apart from demolishing the building they have done virtually nothing to the site and given the CCBC the run around
When will they ever build there?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1451 on: November 17, 2020, 03:59:40 pm »
Yes Hugo the plans before looked good, would have sold out in no time, and then the greed takes over and once again our council are useless.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1452 on: December 23, 2020, 05:02:56 pm »
Whoever owns the recently built house on Nant-y-Gamar Rd ( the one overlooking Craig-y-Don where they cut down over 250 trees without permission) is displaying their lack of good taste with strobe Christmas lights that appear as if they have a funfair ride up there. They obviously have no shame in their vandalism either by drawing attention to what they have done.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1453 on: December 30, 2020, 01:32:46 pm »
I must admit that I had quite a shock when I read the NWWN today.     At page 3 was the headline " Fresh plan for site of former " Alice in Wonderland hotel"
Anwyl state that they aim to begin a consultation process in the Spring with the intention to submit a full planning application for Summer 2021.
According to Anwyl the design will really complement the natural beautiful landscape upon which the site sits

I may be way off the mark but interpreting the Anwyl speak it means that they will try and fit as many apartments as possible on the site.       The original application granted in about 2008  was for 28 apartments but the time limit for that expired many years ago.   In recent years a Lego style building was suggested with about 54 apartments but that idea went down like a lead balloon.
Will the new building look like and have the same number of apartments as the one that application was granted for them in 2008?  Will it also complement the apartments  next door?               &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1454 on: January 03, 2021, 09:51:10 am »
Llandudno's Alice hotel site set for 'improved' scheme as development team prepares plan

Let's hope that it doesn't look like the last carbuncle that was mooted by Anwyl a few years ago

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudnos-alice-hotel-site-set-19550628