Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574558 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1380 on: August 11, 2019, 05:28:53 pm »
Assuming house prices do not fall, Dave.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1381 on: August 11, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »
It looks about right for the occupations quoted.  Huge divide in Llandudno between the kids desperately holding down two or three jobs to make ends meet and the pensioners, some with cauldrons of cash.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1382 on: August 11, 2019, 08:02:17 pm »
We are not talking about old properties Dave, but new build and that's where the problem lies.     Local young people should be able to buy a new build in their local area but developers are not doing this and CCBC seem powerless to enforce these developers to do it.
In the 1960's and 1970's there were many estates getting built in the N Wales area that were within the price range of young people but that is no longer happening

I've seen some of the examples of these present day so called "affordable homes" and all they are are homes that are jointly owned with some housing authority.    It's just not on and is unfair to the young people who want to continue to live in this area

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1383 on: August 11, 2019, 11:49:04 pm »
It looks about right for the occupations quoted.  Huge divide in Llandudno between the kids desperately holding down two or three jobs to make ends meet and the pensioners, some with cauldrons of cash.

I’d challenge the Head Chef salary statistics, that one looks wrong to me.
I know one who is a hotel head chef, he earns between £35 and £40k
I also know a hotel owner, not a very highly rated one either, who pays his head chef nearly £40k,  and his breakfast chef around the £35k mark.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Macca

« Reply #1384 on: August 12, 2019, 07:55:08 am »
The only site i've seen Anwyl building bungalows on recently was their Abergele site, and they were overlooked by existing housing. There are loads of bungalows in Rhyl for sure but the problem is its Rhyl and property in the town is very affordable for a reason

Offline Macca

« Reply #1385 on: August 12, 2019, 08:00:51 am »
We did go and look at Anwyl's Park Aberkinsey site in Rhyl. It felt great and in fact in no way did it feel like you were in Rhyl. But as the mrs said, as soon as you need the doctors, pharmacy, shop, or fancy going to the pub you're into Rhyl.

Property prices in Llandudno and Penrhyn Bay can be challenging to say the least, and if we do get to bring our future plans to reality a little later down the line, god only knows what we'll have to pay???

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1386 on: August 12, 2019, 09:03:18 am »

I’d challenge the Head Chef salary statistics, that one looks wrong to me.
I know one who is a hotel head chef, he earns between £35 and £40k
I also know a hotel owner, not a very highly rated one either, who pays his head chef nearly £40k,  and his breakfast chef around the £35k mark.

There's huge discrepancies between what the hotels are paying, F.  Some know that you can't get a decent chef cheaply while others - big names included - pay the bare minimum.  There's real competition in the industry for good chefs; average ones are easy to come by, apparently.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1387 on: August 14, 2019, 06:42:15 pm »
I expect the same thing to happen with the Pier Pavilion site and the Pen Morfa Hotel site because of the track record that the CCBC has on matters like this
I wonder if the CCBC will reveal just what Waldron has proposed to pay for not including affordable housing in his application for the Pier Pavilion site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49345812

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1388 on: August 16, 2019, 08:30:25 pm »
Hugo
 As a matter of interest is the Anwyl site on West Shore freehold or leasehold

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1389 on: August 16, 2019, 10:04:29 pm »
Robbie, to be honest I don't know the definite answer to that but in my book by Ivor Wynne Jones the Reverend Henry Liddell leased a building plot in 1861 off Mostyn Estates
From my own personal experience I was interested in buying a plot of land where the Pen Morfa Cottages once stood before demolition in 1936.      I had an interview with the then Mostyn Estates manager Mr George Hiller and that plot of land I was interested in was leased and in fact also sub leased with a 99 year lease so I wasn't interested in taking the matter any further
From that I would guess that the site is leasehold with Mostyn Estates owning the freehold

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1390 on: August 17, 2019, 03:13:58 pm »
The Land is Leasehold according to Companies House. Beech Developments (NW) Ltd took out a mortgage on it with HSBC Bank Plc on the 18/2/2004 & satisfied the mortgage 14/1/2015.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1391 on: August 17, 2019, 04:26:04 pm »
That's very interesting Meleri and makes you wonder what is going on behind the scenes

My understanding is that the owner of the Penmorfa Hotel was paid an amount of £40K  from Anwyl Construction pending approval of their application for planning on the site and this would have been C2004.     
When planning permission was granted Anwyl bought the property for a reported £2.4 million and when the building slump came after that time Anwyl had to be careful that they didn't over commit to their building programme.
Since then they have built developments all over N Wales but surprisingly not  on the Penmorfa site

So how come Beech Homes is involved in this?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1392 on: August 17, 2019, 04:52:20 pm »
Meleri,   I've just had a look at the Gogarth Morfa  apartments on the Penmorfa site and I think that these may have been built by Beech Developments

The entire site must have come in different lots as the land I was looking at all those years ago was by the road and next to the houses in Abbey Place.
There must be at least 3 parcels of land there but I still think that Anwyl have the former hotel site

What Anwyl has done is within the law but morally disgusting.     Those apartments at Gogarth Morfa look really good and fitted in with the surroundings that also included the former Pen Morfa Hotel.      I've had a look at the sale prices of some of the apartments and they are selling for less than the price when they were originally purchased and that in part must be due to the uncertainty of what is going to be built next to them.
If those lego apartments get the go ahead then the prices of Gogarth Morfa apartments may fall further.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1393 on: August 19, 2019, 02:57:12 pm »
Yes it is very interesting Hugo, all smoke & mirrors  ;) Beech actually took mortgages out for two parcels of land, the one I mentioned earlier & 'Land at Gogarth Abbey, Abbey Road, West Shore, Llandudno on 17/1/2003 Satisfied 14/1/2015' (paid off the same date as the other one, but this one doesn't say leasehold). Considering the Gogarth Abbey Hotel didn't close until 2006 & then demolished 2008 they obviously knew something we didn't. Perhaps Anwyl owned the actual hotel which would make three parcels of land after it was demolished.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1394 on: August 19, 2019, 04:09:14 pm »
I'm only guessing Meleri but I would suspect that the twp parcels of land are what Gogarth Morfa was built on.  The bit I was after is now part of the front garden of the apartments but just on the eastern side of it
I know that Anwyl didn't own the Penmorfa Hotel when the original application was made for planning on the site as they paid the owner £40 K as on option to buy the hotel subject to the planning being granted

I wonder what Anwyl is conniving now about the site, but CCBC needs to get a grip on this one